Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 77

Thread: Who has more sense of beauty? Men or Women?

  1. #16
    Registered User Emil Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I know this is supposed to have just the opposite effect on the reader but now all I can picture is Emil sitting primly in front of his computer, sipping wine delicately while wearing high-heels, eye liner and lipstick... Pushing his gelled hair back in frustration as he shakes his head impatiently at a rogue comment (like this one) he reads on the Forum.
    While I have always tried to avoid the neanderthal appearance that has been prevalent among the male population for some years, I wouldn't go as far as you suggest. Even the hair gel is used only for when I am out and about, when the slightest breeze would otherwise turn my all-too-fluffy hair into a haystack.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

    "Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    798
    I've heard a number of times that men are more visual-minded and women more auditory-minded. I'd guess there is some truth to that generalization.

    Who spends more time fussing over their appearance?

    And when you go shopping count how many stores and products are for women vs how many for men. It's gotta be around ten to one.

  3. #18
    Title user custom
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    That is not true that woman care more about appearance than men. I suppose in some countries men are bred more barbaricaly - but in Italy and France and many other countries in europe men care just as much about their personal beauty as women

    I live in France and I don't agree.


    There is an ontological difference in what a man thinks about beauty and what women thinks. Man thinks beauty is to see, women thinks that beauty is to be seen.
    My blog about literature (in spanish): http://otrasbentilaciones.wordpress.com/

  4. #19
    Ecurb Ecurb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    Here is a thought - so far we have all corelated appearnce and sexual atraction. But what about the desire to appear beautifull around the same-sex?

    For example most guys I know - will dress up and perfume themselves and do their hair when they are going out, but if they are staying in the house with just guys they will remain unwashed.

    Personaly even If I Know that I shall be with a group of guys, I still dress myself and arrange myself just as if I was going to be with girls. For me it is not so much about being sexualy attractive as much as it is about being beautifull?

    Most women if I am not mistaken tend to be like me- as in they do not only make themselves beautiful when around men, but all the time, because the priority is being beautifull not sexualy atractive.

    And @ Ecurb Of course beauty must be cultivated. If Byron had grown up on an island in a vacume - he probably would have been stupid and ugly.

    Maybe you are one of those 0.0000000001% who no matter what they do look beautifull. But for everyone else the second they stop caring, and taking care of their apperances is the second they start being ugly.

    And how is it cruel that the ugly inspire ridicoule, is cruel. My cousin is obese. I took him to gym once, he quit the thread mill after 3 minutes. People who have weak wills are weak willed in everything. The same man who wont excerisise because "it is too hard" is the same that wont do anything in life "because it is to hard".
    Hmm. The ugliest person I ever knew was a friend of mine who was electrocuted on a construction job. He had no face. His nose, ears, and other features had been burned off, and his skin looked like mottled, burnt flesh. Somehow, though, I was never inspired to ridicule him, nor did I find him “weak willed”. However, I do find Alexander to be a complete loser if he thinks my friend SHOULD be ridiculed.

    In addition, Alexander has not responded to my suggestion that tigers and Birds of Paradise don’t cultivate their beauty. Consider the lilies of the field, they sew not, neither do they reap, yet Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these.

    What constitutes personal “beauty”? How does one “cultivate” it. Alexander thinks it can be cultivated through dandyism. Arranging one’s hair and one’s dress (he thinks) enhances one’s beauty. Although there is perhaps a tiny grain of truth in this, in general, I disagree. The essence of human beauty is not captured in fashion photographs – instead, it is found in expressive motion. Isadora Duncan danced in the nude. Greek athletes performed naked. The human form is most beautiful in action, not in repose. Actors and athletes are more beautiful than fashion models.

  5. #20
    Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tweet @ScherLitNet
    Posts
    23,903
    ~

    W a r n i n g

    Please do not personalise your arguments.

    Off-topic or inflammatory posts will be removed without further notice.

    ~
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~


  6. #21
    Ecurb Ecurb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    2,336
    I agree with most of what OrphanPip said, but not this:
    Another possibility, is that the history of humanity has generally resulted in a population bias in favor of women, there have traditionally been more women than men, (because men would die in higher numbers in hunting and tribal warfare) which meant that possibly some women would have had to compete for male matches, especially in conditions where food was limited and a woman without a man to support her would not survive. This could explain how certain traits like light eye colours spread so rapidly in Ice Age Europe.
    As anthropologist Marvin Harris pointed out in “Cows, Pigs, Wars and Witches”, many warlike primitive societies VALUE boys more than girls. Among warlike groups in New Guinea or South America, far more boys reach the age of five than girls (in some groups, 3 or 4 times as many). The only reasonable explanation is female infanticide or selective neglect (which, in societies with very high infant mortality, can have a major impact). Since warlike primitive societies tend to be sexist (men being so valuable to protect the group), these are the societies in which boys survive to adolescence far more often than girls do.

    So in at least some primitive, warlike societies, OrphanPip’s guess that there are more women than men is simply incorrect. Although it is true that the vast majority for the men at age five is lessened by fatalities due to hunting and warfare, there are still more men than women in many of these societies (of course childbirth deaths for women are a factor as well).

  7. #22
    Registered User virginiawang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    367
    I really agree with Alexander's posts under this thread. My female parent has been fat and ugly all her life, and she made excuses for her great appetite and the bad habits that made her house some sort of disasterous wonder, for times without number. However I think words are not needed. She is ugly and pitiable all her life, that made her dirty and bad in whatever she did and thought over the years. She is more disgusting than a frog, the most dirty and disgusting animal that came to my mind so far. My father left him since thirty years ago for another woman, whom my female parent cursed with her best effort. I do not know why, but since this woman deprived her of her husband, she started to hate all women who want to look pretty, including my grandma, who loves to look pretty all her life. That ugly woman hates everyone woman who ever wants to look pretty. She praises herself and my two sisters because they, as with one accord,...... words failed me again.

    I feel myself trembling with anger, when I saw her face in my mind. I want to curse again. She does not count. Trash on earth.

    When I recalled what took place a few days ago, I feel love, gratitude, and all the beauty of a heart. That woman was truly bad and ugly, and she hid behind grandma's back, in an attempt to burst into my house and, I am almost sure now, to send me to an aylum. I called the doctor immediately to let them know that they cannot reach their goal, and they left almost immediately. My friend let them both learn that it is not fun to bully me again, in less than no time, and they both changed their attitude as if with magic, and talked to me with respect, in a way I've never heard them talk, all my life. I was amazed by the ugly world, sadly. I love him.
    I believe it is love. It is beautiful and real.

    I've been fooled by two of my enemies over the years and I, residing in my dreams, became a laughing stock, even in my own eyes. I should have listened to the opinions of other people and left much earlier, but it was not until lately that I left once and for all, because I fell in love again.

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by osho View Post
    All of us overtly or covertly admire beauty and love to be beautiful and sexy though ostensibly we may say this is all vanity. However I feel that it is mostly women who are more concerned about good looks. It has always been true historically and sociologically all over the world. Why is this so and why men have less concern about this though they too want to have better looks? This is true of both patriarchal and matriarchal societies. Women are more glued to beauty. I simply wonder what chemistry makes women hooked to beauty?
    I propose it is somewhat of a mystery. I think love and beauty are separate issues. Regarding love, women are called to be mothers. They are bound to avoid an abortion in two or three days. No joke.
    Regarding beauty, I could speculate that it is because with so much idiotic behavior on the part of men, all in vain, women preffer vanity up front. Difficult question to answer calmly. Ha!
    Osho, as usual, interesting.

  9. #24
    Registered User virginiawang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    367
    I must emphasize one point to all of my readers here. I never took psychiatric medicine in my life, though I was given the label of a banana by some sort of ugly trick, several years ago.

  10. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    I propose it is somewhat of a mystery. I think love and beauty are separate issues. Regarding love, women are called to be mothers. They are bound to avoid an abortion in two or three days. No joke.
    Regarding beauty, I could speculate that it is because with so much idiotic behavior on the part of men, all in vain, women preffer vanity up front. Difficult question to answer calmly. Ha!
    Osho, as usual, interesting.
    And mothers love their ugly babies as much as beautiful ones.

    To a normal mom her baby is always beautiful.

    We also love some ugly cats and dogs, and see them as beautiful.

  11. #26
    Ghost in the Machine Michael T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by virginiawang View Post
    I must emphasize one point to all of my readers here. I never took psychiatric medicine in my life, though I was given the label of a banana by some sort of ugly trick, several years ago.
    Wow, really! Thats very interesting.

    Do you think that past experience may have coloured your view of the topic in hand?
    Last edited by Michael T; 10-20-2011 at 02:11 PM.

  12. #27
    A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Posts
    5,781
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by virginiawang View Post
    I must emphasize one point to all of my readers here. I never took psychiatric medicine in my life, though I was given the label of a banana by some sort of ugly trick, several years ago.
    Oh Yea, the old "banana labelling trick". We've all been there

  13. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    Oh Yea, the old "banana labelling trick". We've all been there
    I was wondering where a certain person was.

    Women prefer beautiful bananas because they are less likely to have listeria.

    But it's hard to resist an ugly baby
    Last edited by Vonny; 10-20-2011 at 02:20 PM.

  14. #29
    A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Posts
    5,781
    Blog Entries
    2
    Just out of curiousity. How many guys on here use moisturiser or eye contour moisturiser for the more delicate area around the eyes(prone to dryness, as this area lacks sebaceious glands)?

    I do sometimes, but ONLY because the Rugby pitch is pretty dry and after a rough game in the non rainy months I really need to irrigate the facial area. I tried to sell the idea to the remainder of the team but I was pummelled.

    I would chat more but I must go, as my natural Cucumber and Oatmeal mask needs rinsing......

  15. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University or my little estate
    Posts
    2,386
    Hmm. The ugliest person I ever knew was a friend of mine who was electrocuted on a construction job. He had no face. His nose, ears, and other features had been burned off, and his skin looked like mottled, burnt flesh. Somehow, though, I was never inspired to ridicule him, nor did I find him “weak willed”. However, I do find Alexander to be a complete loser if he thinks my friend SHOULD be ridiculed.

    I would not find him ridicoulous, but I would find him entertaining. I am very un-human in that when there is a plane crash or car accident or footage of war on tv I can't help but stare. I find the grotesque very entertaining. I feel sorry for the bloke, but thats life. Dont expect me to burst into tears.

    In addition, Alexander has not responded to my suggestion that tigers and Birds of Paradise don’t cultivate their beauty. Consider the lilies of the field, they sew not, neither do they reap, yet Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these.

    But the beauty of men is different to that of Tigers or Birds of Paradise. See I dont believe that there is an "objective" Beauty or Truth. I am more of an aesthetic. Beauty lies soley in the individuals response to an external. Beauty amongst people is in a different context to the beauty of a bird or tiger or song or work of literature. Personaly I would find it rather hard to compare the beauty of Child Harolds Pillgrimage to the beauty Beau Brummel....

    What constitutes personal “beauty”? How does one “cultivate” it. Alexander thinks it can be cultivated through dandyism. Arranging one’s hair and one’s dress (he thinks) enhances one’s beauty. Although there is perhaps a tiny grain of truth in this, in general, I disagree. The essence of human beauty is not captured in fashion photographs – instead, it is found in expressive motion. Isadora Duncan danced in the nude. Greek athletes performed naked. The human form is most beautiful in action, not in repose. Actors and athletes are more beautiful than fashion models.

    Surley personality and mannerisms are cultivated just as much as clothes and hair and face and body. See I think the body is ugly in motion. It is beautifull motionless, the closer it comes to the state of an object the more beautifull it is for me.

    Who said fashion models are beautifull? I find them too skinny.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why Beauty Matters... and does it?
    By stlukesguild in forum Serious Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 06:02 AM
  2. Please edit my disorganized essay!
    By ireadtogetaway in forum General Writing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 03:29 AM
  3. Is the beauty the strongest tool of women evolutionary?
    By blazeofglory in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-17-2009, 11:34 AM
  4. Obsession with beauty
    By blazeofglory in forum General Writing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 11:48 PM
  5. are women losing their sense of feminity?
    By jon1jt in forum General Chat
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 05:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •