Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staid, Painful, Turgid Literature in the English Language

Staid, Painful, Turgid Literature in the English Language

I have recently read The Ambassadors by Henry James, and I am ashamed to admit that I hated it :oops:

It was painful to read. After every half page I laid the book down on my chest and yawned. The story concerns an American that has to go to Paris to get his soon-to-be wife's son back to America, so that he, the older guy can get married and reap the financial benefits. There is plenty of room for interesting dialogue, humorous descriptions of Paris, poetic descriptions of Paris, and social commentary; but, alas, what I got here were gigantic paragraphs that were as prolix as possible and didn't explain anything and repetitive dialogue which always involved two characters making dated psychological assumptions about a third character behind that third character's back.

It was pure suffering. Am I missing something or does James just... blow?

What well-known, classic writer in English do you find painfully dull?

I can't believe I'm not getting any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert E Lee
    I read 'The Turn of The Screw' in ap english during my senior year in high school, it was atrocious. I'm a fan of ghost stories and whatnot such as 'Wuthering Heights' and, in a round about way, 'The Dead', but James is sooooooo hard to appreciate because he is so outdated. Perhaps he was trying to capture the essence of one of the most boring periods in American History -- Reconstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by hadji9
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert E Lee
    I read 'The Turn of The Screw' in ap english during my senior year in high school, it was atrocious. I'm a fan of ghost stories and whatnot such as 'Wuthering Heights' and, in a round about way, 'The Dead', but James is sooooooo hard to appreciate because he is so outdated. Perhaps he was trying to capture the essence of one of the most boring periods in American History -- Reconstruction.
    I've also read The Turn of the Screw. Boring as hell, but not as bad as The Ambassadors. "The Dead" is a great story by the way.

What does James have to do with Reconstruction?

What's really scary is that James's most painful work was written in the 20th century.

i thought the dead was james joyce i saw the movie it was really good

'The Dead'

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno
    'The Dead' is indeed a James Joyce story from the 'Dubliners'. I was juxtaposing a couple of authors (e.g., Bronte and Joyce) to Henry James. On the subject of Joyce, what do you all believe to be Gabriel Conroy's fate at the end of 'The Dead'? Do you think he returns to Galway with Gretta, or does he undergo the kind of moral and physical decay that plagues the rest of the characters in the story? And, likewise, what do you think Joyce was intending when Gabriel hears "a few light taps upon the [window] pane"? Snow doesn't make a sound when it hits the window unless it is mixed with rain or sleet, so what did Joyce mean by that? I have my own opinion, but I would like to hear yours.

Re: 'The Dead'

Quote Originally Posted by hadji9
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno
    'The Dead' is indeed a James Joyce story from the 'Dubliners'. I was juxtaposing a couple of authors (e.g., Bronte and Joyce) to Henry James. On the subject of Joyce, what do you all believe to be Gabriel Conroy's fate at the end of 'The Dead'? Do you think he returns to Galway with Gretta, or does he undergo the kind of moral and physical decay that plagues the rest of the characters in the story? And, likewise, what do you think Joyce was intending when Gabriel hears "a few light taps upon the [window] pane"? Snow doesn't make a sound when it hits the window unless it is mixed with rain or sleet, so what did Joyce mean by that? I have my own opinion, but I would like to hear yours.
    Stay on topic please. Gabriel becomes detached from his wife and realizes the transience of life. That's what I make of it. End of story.

Back on topic.

The first Henry James novel that i read was Portrait of a Lady, and i found it brilliant. The writing had a certain elegant touch to it, the lesson of the novel so exquisitely hidden in the plot...the portrayal of the characters,each portraying a certain aspect of society, wonderfully developed. There's Isabel Archer, the modern version of Shakesperian tragic hero; Gilbert Osmond, the loathsome materialist for whom his personal happiness is the only goal, and even Ralph Touchett, the underappreciated infirm, that so subtly demonstrates that appearances are deceiving...You can only imagine how moved i was by this book...And naturally, I wanted to follow it up, and started reading The Bostonians...The elegant writing turned into utterly dull paragraphs, with no twist, the plot, although it had the potential of creating another masterpiece, and could have developed extensive characters failed to do so, as the reader is either entangled in the many parallel plots among the numerous characters, many of which are entirely irrelevant, or is lost completely in a sequence of snob-like words, with absolutely no substance...
    Maybe ten years from now, upon re-reading The Bostonians, I will see the flaws of my former opinions...but until then, I am skeptical of trying another one of his novels...

Well as to the topic i never read henry james but i remember an interview with the actors of the last film version of the golden bowl and they all said they found the book unreadable.

Well if i get a chance to read the dead, or dubliners? i will because the movie was beutifull and in the end he was thinking to himself how little he really new his wifes inner most thoughts although he lived with here and shared an outword life, and thinking over her story of the boy who loved her in her youth and died long ago and it was deep and beautifull and sad

i've never read any henry james but i've seen the movie of 'portrait of a lady' (the one with nicole kidman, incase there's more than one). Maybe it will put me off that author forever, cos if the book is like the film....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (sorry, fell asleep at the memory of it )
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

i kinda liked that movie and there where a few sceens that where really interesting to me, the cast was also excelent.

I really can't go for Joseph Conrad. Right now I'm reading Lord Jim. Most of it so far has been describing the beuty of the sea. I guess I would appreciate it if I was a sailor or something, but I just can't relate to it. I hope the book gets beeter, and I hope Heart of Darkness isn't as boring. I would be really disapointed since I have heard many good things about it.

Have any of you guys read W. Somerset Maugham? I am in the middle of Of Human Bondage and am loving it. I can seriously relate to many of the quirky philosophical views on life that it offers. Speaking of which, why don't we have the book on this site?
    After being kicked out of the bar by a black waiter, a white KKK member said, "This is why I hate black people. They're so damn racist!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shuai
    I really can't go for Joseph Conrad. Right now I'm reading Lord Jim. Most of it so far has been describing the beuty of the sea. I guess I would appreciate it if I was a sailor or something, but I just can't relate to it. I hope the book gets beeter, and I hope Heart of Darkness isn't as boring. I would be really disapointed since I have heard many good things about it.

Have any of you guys read W. Somerset Maugham? I am in the middle of Of Human Bondage and am loving it. I can seriously relate to many of the quirky philosophical views on life that it offers. Speaking of which, why don't we have the book on this site?
    I've read Nostromo and The Secret Agent by Conrad. While Nostromo drags, it doesn't match my definition of stolid, painful literature. What I have in mind is stiff, conventional, genteel crap about characters about whom one can't give a ****. The Secret Agent is far from boring.

Yes, I've read Of Human Bondage. I find it overrated. It's loaded with trite moralistic messages and follows every generic convention in the book (no pun intended).

To each his own.
    After being kicked out of the bar by a black waiter, a white KKK member said, "This is why I hate black people. They're so damn racist!"

Start with secret Sharer then go to the novolla Heart of darkness only 90 pages long then if you really like conrad read the rest of his stuff When i read lord Jim there where only a few parts i really liked although i do think its a good book. "MISTAH KURTZ -- HE DEAD" T.S. Eliot qouted that for his Poem the Hallow men but the line i used to like was "it echoed laudly within him, for he was hallow at the core" ... and "he kicked himself lose of the earth and all it's people" the images of ivory the man in the perfectly laundered white suit... i read it what like 8 years ago still remember some of those images but i don't really have any disire to read Conrad anymore can't say why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast