I chose to read this novel for a school project. Looking back on the experience now, I'm glad that I read it. While I was in the process of emersing myself in Dickens' story, I did at times find the book a tad boring, although Dickens' wit and humour helped to keep my interest in the novel. At times I was disappointed by Pip's attitude and actions towards his friend Joe and his rural roots. But I think that by the end of the novel, Pip had redeemed himself in my eyes because of the way he supported his convict benefactor and the way he made amends to Joe. One thing that I was truly happy with was how Pip and Estella ended up together at the conclusion of the book. I'm a romantic at heart and I was pleased to see Pip's dream of being with Estella come true. I sympathized with him all the way through the novel as he pined for Estella and was continually tortured by the fact that she played him off of her other admirers. But in the end, I'm happy that things turned out as they did, and I'm happy that I had the opportunity to read this classic novel.