Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: What is your favorite book?

my favorite book is "its kind of a funny story". ive chosen this book for multiple reasons. its an amazing book for a start. the book grabs you nd pulls you in. there are a bunch of characters that are just full of life, and some that are in a dark hole. the books main reason for being my favorite is simple. its sorta like what ive gone through. ive been down in the dark hole. and ive been full if life. i think what im trying to say is that i can relate to all the charactera in the book, thats why its my favorite

My favorite book is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. This book is my favorite because it has a fair amount of both action and suspense as it does to slower parts such as romantic sub plots. The action and suspense in the story never fails to please you and to get your heart racing. It always makes you question "Is he/she going to be able to pull this off? What will happen next?" etc. When the book begins to get slower it suddenly erupts with a sharp turn into action. What I'm getting at is that the slow parts aren't long and drawn out, and they don't bore you. With the romantic sub plots it really makes you choose sides, like who you want who to end up with. This is the fourth book in the Harry Potter series and this one really leaves you hanging when the antagonist rises again (Lord Voldemort). The end of this book really gets you pumped to begin reading the next one and you don't want to stop until you are done with the series. That is why I say Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is my favorite book.

1984 by George Orwell.

The story itself is compelling; I couldn't put it down. There are the fantastic philosophical notions in the story, to beware of giving governments too much power (especially when it comes to giving up your own privacy and personal liberty), and how people get brainwashed by government propaganda; I can't help but view the people who consistently vote conservative or liberal, that hate anything and everything the otherside does, and will only watch Fox or MSNBC news because they just feed them propaganda they can regurgitate as eerily similiar to the people in the story who get all worked up watching the television broadcasts (I can't remember what the broadcasts were called).

This brings me to the main reason I love the book, our society is heading towards the dystopian future that Orwell portended. Obviously, not to such extremes, but with technology we are on some kind of camera for a large part of our life along with most of our actions being tracked electronically, the American government gained very intrusive powers with the Patriot Act, and I already mentioned how the majority of the people don't think for themselves, but treat their political party like a sports team they have to support unconditionally. There are more, but I haven't read it in a long time; I'm going to have to read it again because it's just such an amazing book. Also, The European Union is probably going to became a political union eventually which would make it a country that is pretty much the geographical equivalent to the massive country, Oceania, that Winston Smith is a part of. Given when this story written the fact that Orwell could even conceive that the European countries could become one state is mind-blowing.

Anyway, That's why it will always be my favorite book, and should be required reading for high school students. I love animal farm, as well, but I'd have to put 1984 as the more important piece of literature. However, I have both stories in one book, so I would say that is my favorite book; the question was what is your favorite book, after all, and not your favorite story or novel.

It would have to be To Kill a Mocking Bird. This book takes place in the old south. I am facinated by the old southern culture and how whites and blacks used to interact. This novel presents a look into both the white and black cultures of the time. It is crazy how different both cultures were at the time. Atticus Finch is possibly the greatest character ever brought about in literature. He is the model for how a man should live and carry himself. His decision to take a black man's side in a court case during that time is almost suicide. He was a model or his kids and for the other people around him. This book offers mystery, humor, suspense, and action and is a great choice for anyone

My favorite book is the Crank series By: Ellen Hopkins. She does a really good job of putting the reader in the characters shoes. I love the way the book is written. It is written in poem form but it tells a story. All the books leave you hanging to where you want to keep reading. I think she is a wonderful author. She writes about real life thing that happen to teens and walk through how the get through their problems. The book may look long but you get soo into it that you keep on reading. I am not much of a reader but I was soo into the story that I finished the book within 3 day. I suggest her books to male and female teenagers.

My favorite book by far has to be The Great Gatsby. This book is one of modern society's only explicitly outlined looks into the lives of the elite in the roaring 20's. Fitzgerald's use of detail and imagery makes the book a page-turner from the get go. Of the many reasons I love this book, the persistent appearance of thought-provoking irony easily takes the number 1 spot. I mean, even the title itself is ironic. Calling a man "Great" who has structured his life around the goal of winning back a young love, a man who is so unhappy with the person he is that he completely changes his identity. Great? Hardly. It's the small details like these that make The Great Gatsby such a fascinating ride.

My favorite book is "Burned" by Ellen Hopkins. This book is very interesting because it is very realistic and makes the reader understand the problems that the main character, Pattyn, is going through. She is faced with many problems such as abuse from her father. She starts to question her family and her faith. This book is great because it makes you consider why the main character chooses to do certain things. Since her home life is so unbearable, Pattyn starts to be bad at school and eventually gets suspended. This outrages her father even more and makes him send her to live with an aunt in Nevada. Here, she meets a boy and has to make some major decisions. This book makes you very anticipated for what's going to happen next. I definitely recommend.

My favorite book is the Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke. The book is adventurous and exciting. It was based upon a boy and a dragon traveling to the Himalayas. It is a good book for anyone. To be honest this is my favorite book, because it was my favorite book in elementary school and i have not actually read a book ever since. So if it seems to be a children's book that is why. I do not remember much about it so you would have to find out for yourself. What i do recall though is it being pretty lengthy. Although its length the book was a fast read because it is hard to put down. I recommend this book to be read.

My favorite book is the young travelrs gift by Andy Andrews. This book is about a teenage kid who gets in a car wrech and almosts loses his three best friends. his dad got cancer and might die. then he runs his car into a light pole and he goes into a comma and meets important people from the past and they give him the twele stages to sucess. this book is verey motivational. i would recomend this book to read.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chandlercoskery View Post
    It would have to be To Kill a Mocking Bird. This book takes place in the old south. I am facinated by the old southern culture and how whites and blacks used to interact. This novel presents a look into both the white and black cultures of the time. It is crazy how different both cultures were at the time. Atticus Finch is possibly the greatest character ever brought about in literature. He is the model for how a man should live and carry himself. His decision to take a black man's side in a court case during that time is almost suicide. He was a model or his kids and for the other people around him. This book offers mystery, humor, suspense, and action and is a great choice for anyone
    I tried reading this book but didn't like it. It's one of the few books that I just chucked away when it got wet in a hurricane.

I don't really have a favorite book because after reading new books they always end up as my favorite. I read Tuesdays with Morrie, Five People You Meet In Heave, For One More Day (Mitch Albom), All-American Girl, Princess Diaries Series (Meg Cabot), Before I Fall (Lauren Oliver), etc., more than once or twice so I guess those are the kinds of books I love.

My favorite literary book has to be The Grapes of Wrath, which I've read twice so far. The way the human spirit comes together, the characters, and the timeliness of the novel (what an opportunity for an author, the Dust Bowl!) are its strong points. Not many novels touch me the way this one did. It has an interesting format, written with chapters alternating between narrative and characters in plot.

But a non-literary book? That would have to be In The Company of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez. I have yet to see him outmatch this second book, which I picked up in the grocery store. It was a delightful fantasy read, full of humor, interesting characters, and some genius about the craft. I wish there were more of these books around, but alas, the best seem to stand alone.

Seasider
    To the Lighthouse by Virginia
    Woolf.I had to prepare a seminar paper on it when I was at University and at first I couldn't understand a word. Now it's the book I would take with me if the house were burning down and I could find it in time!

That's a terrible but likely thought, what to save when the house goes up in smoke. Thank goodness for fireproof safes, I suppose!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789