Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite book?

Account closed.

Smile favorite book, and I am new here

I have to say my favorite book is The Great Gatsby. Ofcourse I just read it again, so that may be why but it is hard to say. When I read a great book, it then becomes my favorite. And I haven't read them all!!
    Seriously though, I have never read such a beautiful writer as Fitzgerald. I'm pretty fussy, and I hate bad metaphors. His are brilliant. So is the imagery.

Account closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Samsa View Post
    Well, it's different from time to time. But "The Catcher in the Rye", "Crime and Punishment", "The Stranger" and "Of Mice and Men" always has a special place in my heart. "The Catcher in the Rye" especially when I was younger, and don’t now have brilliant I think it would be today.
    I read Catcher in the Rye as an adult, it's just as good.

Ditto on Catcher in the Rye. I've read it probably 3 or 4 times now. I have to say though, I have been thoroughly enjoying Of Human Bondage and it could be my new novel of choice of the Bildungsroman bent.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As new members, you will learn that Catcher is one of the most contentious topics on the forum (which is good), along with that ol' scamp Bukowski.

Definitely 1001 Nights for me. I love its narrative diversity and its imaginative settings. Although it's mainly a collection of folk stories, I still feel there's a lot of depth to the themes that appear.

For a single cohesive work though, definitely Divine Comedy.
    On Sun and Moon of palace cast thy sight, enjoy her flowerlike face, her fragrant light.
    Thine eyes shall never see in hair so black, beauty encase a brow so purely white.
    The ruddy rosy cheek proclaims her claim, though fail her name whose beauties we indite.
    As sways her gait I smile at hips so big, and weep to see the waist they bear so slight.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the mood.

Catcher in the Rye for fun. I have no reason why I like this book so much, perhaps at a some level I identify with Holden. I like it when I need to simplify life.

Of Mice and Men shaped my world view, or maybe even changed it. I like it when I'm feeling idealistic.

Infinite Jest - I like it when when feel the urge for complexity.

Has to be For Whom the Bell Tolls for this guy. Its pretty rare to find a book that is both entertaining and poignant, and this work just proves how masterful Hemingway really was

Account closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    As new members, you will learn that Catcher is one of the most contentious topics on the forum (which is good), along with that ol' scamp Bukowski.
    Why is Catcher in the Rye one of the most contentious topics on this forum?

As some above said, for me it also depends on the mood, my favourites would be:
    Dante - La Divina Comedia (I don't know how you call the whole book in English)
    Austen - Pride and Prejudice
    Saramago - Death at Intervals
    Le dieci P della saguezza: Prima Pensa Poi Parla Perchè Parole Poco Pensate Portano Pena

RSC Complete Shakespeare

favourite book

It is dificult to say the our favourite book, I read a lot in my life. Maybe the book I read more is Faust by Goethe, I read it in German, in English and Spanish. This book is full of clever quotations you can never forget. Kindest regards from Spain. Juan

My favorite has changed. My new favorite is The World of Sofi by Jostein Gaarder

Les Miserables for me because it simply contains everything one could wish for in a book.

Questions like this are too, too broad. We would need subdivisions (favourite poem, favourite novel, favourite philosophical work . . . ). But seeing that most are citing novels:

1. Thomas Mann's Doctor Faustus
    2. Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time

I'm not sure really; whenever I try to think my mind just becomes blank. There's too many I like. Probably the one I really enjoyed though was Candide by Voltaire, and probably The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. Lord of the Flies was good too.
    ''The meaning of life is that it ends'' - Franz Kafka

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast