Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World in 80 Books

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your challenge is a great one! I like the idea of reading Native American Literature for your American choice. May I recommend Leslie Marmon Silko's, Ceremony. It was very good.

**Edit** Sherman Alexie is also another great author for your Native American choice.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post
    Your challenge is a great one! I like the idea of reading Native American Literature for your American choice. May I recommend Leslie Marmon Silko's, Ceremony. It was very good.
    I appreciate the recommendation and I will look into it.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Dark Muse posted a list of the books she had from different countries, so I figured I could do the same. And my list is based on the un-read novels I have at home, and if I included the ones I've already read, I am sure it'd look a bit different. But this is what I've got to work with so far. 20 countries.

Nigeria
    India
    Egypt
    Argentina
    France
    Morocco
    Mozambique
    Zimbabwe
    South Africa
    USA
    Russia
    Sweden
    New Zealand
    Ireland
    Turkey
    Peru/Spain (Mario Vargas Llosa - which one would you put him in?)
    Kenya
    Cameroon
    England
    Australia

Great idea for a book list. Just out of curiosity, are you using the author or the setting as the basis?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustrofedon View Post
    Great idea for a book list. Just out of curiosity, are you using the author or the setting as the basis?
    I am using the author. Books that are written by authors from each of these countries.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Muse, if you haven't got a Dutch author (The Netherlands) you can't go far wrong with something by Cees Nooteboom. I'd recommend Lost Paradise, which is just stunning, or Rituals which is a bit bleak but amusing. He's a great writer, not well known enough in my opinion.

Also, for Norway I would recommend either something by Knut Hamsun (Hunger is really his best work) or something by Tove Jansson. I read a book called The True Deceiver a while ago which was amazing. Of course there is always the Moomintrolls
    Last edited by TheFifthElement; 11-08-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    Muse, if you haven't got a Dutch author (The Netherlands) you can't go far wrong with something by Cees Nooteboom. I'd recommend Lost Paradise, which is just stunning, or Rituals which is a bit bleak but amusing. He's a great writer, not well known enough in my opinion.

Also, for Norway I would recommend either something by Knut Hamsun (Hunger is really his best work) or something by Tove Jansson. I read a book called The True Deceiver a while ago which was amazing. Of course there is always the Moomintrolls
    I do not think I have anything by Dutch writers so I will keep your recommendations for that in mind.

For Norway, I acutally have Pan by Knut Hamsun, but since a few months back I read "The Bridal Wreath" by Sigrid Undset, I plan on reading "The Wife" the 2nd book in the trilogy soon.

Blog Entries
    I don't believe Tove Jansson would be suited for Norway as she is Finnish. She'd be much better to read for Finland.

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastmelon View Post
    I don't believe Tove Jansson would be suited for Norway as she is Finnish. She'd be much better to read for Finland.
    Dur, silly me!
    She's a great read wherever she's from
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Dur, silly me!
    She's a great read wherever she's from
    Haha, woops. I've done that before. My social studies teacher asked, "is anyone's family from Sweden?" to which I yelled out "Francois is Swiss!"

The teacher was just like "uhhh, great, but does anyone here have family from Sweden?"
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Quote Originally Posted by Bustrofedon View Post
    I wondered that as well because I was going to suggest Bruce Chatwin's On the Black Hill as a title for Wales, then I realised that Chatwin was English. However he has managed to tune into the Welsh psyche so well in the book (no mean feat for an Englishman, let me tell you!) that he could be regarded as an Honorary Welshman.

I looked at the list of Welsh authors suggested by mal4mac and found not only had I heard of some of them (and had read some as well) but had actually met one or two! If you are daunted by choosing an unknown author you might like to refer to the list of publications by the Library of Wales. This is '...a Welsh Assembly Government projest designed to ensure that all the rich and extensive literature of Wales that has been written in English will now be available to readers in and beyond Wales....texts until now unavailable, out of print or merely forgotten... to showcase what has been unjustly neglected... to bring back into play the voices and actions of the human experience that has made us, in all our complexity, a Welsh people.'

I find this a refreshing and comforting attitude - the Welsh language activists fought so long and so hard for the reinstatement and recognition of Welsh as a living language - a not unworthy cause - that they tended not only to ignore but to deride and denigrate works written in English in Wales by Welsh authors. I am glad to see this area of creativity receiving its due recognition at last.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    Haha, woops. I've done that before. My social studies teacher asked, "is anyone's family from Sweden?" to which I yelled out "Francois is Swiss!"

The teacher was just like "uhhh, great, but does anyone here have family from Sweden?"
    Being a Swede and all.. that is really quite annoying. Haha!

Blog Entries
    1. England - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë.
    2. Australia - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Blog Entries
    1. England - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë.
    2. Australia - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
    3. South Africa - Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee

Awesome challenge, let me see what I've read so far:

Brazil: Livro de Maguas by Florbela Espanca
    England: Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
    Greece: 100 poems by Constantin Kavafis
    Mexico: La Nostalgia de la Muerte by Xavier Villaurrutia
    Spain: Fuente Ovejuna & others plays by Lope de Vega.
    USA: Poems by Anne Sexton

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast