Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victorian Lit for someone who finds Dickens a bit flowery...?

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    That's why it puzzles me that I like (even love) Dumas, but not Dickens. Maybe Dumas's sentences and word use work better in French than Dickens's in English?
    [snip]
    Or maybe it is that Dumas's characters are less of a caricature than Dickens's?
    I think you've touched on it above: Dickens was more into social commentary and satire, while Dumas wrote ripsnorting historical action-adventure-romances. As with pretty much every kind of literature, it comes down to the individual reader's taste. I like Dickens, but I love Dumas, because he's a whole lot more fun.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    I think you've touched on it above: Dickens was more into social commentary and satire, while Dumas wrote ripsnorting historical action-adventure-romances. As with pretty much every kind of literature, it comes down to the individual reader's taste. I like Dickens, but I love Dumas, because he's a whole lot more fun.
    The difference between Dumas and Dickens is that Dumas was French and Dickens was English and nothing highlights the fact more than their writing.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Bibliophile
    Blog Entries
    I strongly recommend Anthony Trollope.
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation. Oscar Wilde

I think Dickens is no doubt wordy but not to such an extent that I've noticed. However I do find occasionally (but not too infrequently) that I come across a sentence that just makes no sense to me. This makes me feel discouraged as I end up working out a sentence for five minutes because I like to understand everything I read. Also, I don't know why I get confused by some sentences when others don't seem to. I'm not particularly dim, I hope. Winge over!

I'm not a big fan of Dickens either but I can appreciate him - if they were just shorter they might actually be better. I understand why they're so long though.
    "...You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet if hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it therefore the less gone?..." E. A. Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Cropduster84 View Post
    Just finished reading Great Expectations, and whilst I appreciate it is well written, I struggled with his style of writing. It seemed very over wordy which got in the way of the story for me. My favourite 'classic' authors are Steinbeck and Orwell, which are obviously 20th century. However I'm really interested in reading novels from the Victorian era. Are there any who write in a more simplistic style than Dickens?
    Maybe you'd like Joseph Conrad if you like Steinbeck and Orwell. All Conrad's books end miserably (well that's the impression I got after reading three of them). TBH, I cannot remember whether Conrad was wordy or not. I don't think he was but there was a lot between the lines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12