Thread: Another Quote that needs identifying...

Executioner, protect me Kyriakos's Avatar

Another Quote that needs identifying...

The following, rather dark one:

"A murderer you were, and a murderer you are. Why, apart from that, did you wish to be also a guardian?"

I found it as a text displayed on the top part of a painting of two murderous wolves.

No ideas? :[

I'm at a loss. I've no recollection of it and (as I suspect you have already tried) I am unable to google any thing in the way of a lead.

Only thing I can think of is the painting. Any way to track that down? Can you describe where you saw it, more details, etc.? A long shot, but best I can think of.

I think that the quote was by a Georgian writer, or even the painter himself, since i believe the letters (apart from the english translation) were Georgian.

The painting was of two running wolves with blood spilling out of the mouth. They were either to be found on snow, or on no drawn background.

The quote made an instant impression on me. Made me think of what in psychology is called "the dark image of the mother", that is the monstrous mother the very young child sees when she is angry. Being a protector, she also becomes a freakish being, a murderer of some sort.

Blog Entries
    Was the text above the painting actually in quotation marks? could it be the artist's own addition?

I'm intrigued as well... have no idea where it may have come from.

Hope someone knows!
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    The following, rather dark one:

"A murderer you were, and a murderer you are. Why, apart from that, did you wish to be also a guardian?"

I found it as a text displayed on the top part of a painting of two murderous wolves.
    It may be part of an illustration of a fairy tale or fable.

Can you find the names of the painter and the painting?

If it is two wolves talking to each other, it sounds like a fairy tale.

Unfortunately i cannot track down the painting :/

Might have been a fairytale illustration, but i doubt it since it was relatively graphic (a lot of blood coming out of the wolves' mouths).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I think that the quote was by a Georgian writer, or even the painter himself, since i believe the letters (apart from the english translation) were Georgian.

The painting was of two running wolves with blood spilling out of the mouth. They were either to be found on snow, or on no drawn background.
    not a proverb, but lines taken from a fairy tale as a caption for the illustration.

what in psychology is called "the dark image of the mother", that is the monstrous mother the very young child sees when she is angry. Being a protector, she also becomes a freakish being, a murderer of some sort. [/QUOTE]

this is mentioned in the poem "abraxas" found in A Record of Two Friendships by Miguel Serrano.

It first notes there's been an act of murder. It then goes on to claim the murderer does so by nature. Oh oh there must be a story somewhere of a very wicked guardian!

Recalls the image of the she-wolf suckling Romulus and Remus, but that's probably irrelevant. Disregarding the painting, the sentence could be an apt response to Cain's words, "Am I my brother's keeper?" Still, probably also irrelevant.