Thread: Cleverly composed, a work of art from Jane Austen

Cleverly composed, a work of art from Jane Austen

I agree that Emma seemed to be a long and quite insipid "less-plotted" book, but on a deeper level, one must admit that it is extremely clever. There were no wasted words on describing the setting, dress, surrounding and the like without having a purpose, of satire or a comic effect. The satiric nature of Austen's writing was enough to praise Emma.

Austen's profound understanding of human nature and the novel's universal themes presented is also very admirable. The timelessness of its themes can be seen as Emma is adapted into Heckerling's fmdern film version, Clueless.

All in all, I enjoyed the book for its light-hearted, humourous and orderly structured composition.

Quote Originally Posted by kyu_chan View Post
    I agree that Emma seemed to be a long and quite insipid "less-plotted" book, but on a deeper level, one must admit that it is extremely clever. There were no wasted words on describing the setting, dress, surrounding and the like without having a purpose, of satire or a comic effect. The satiric nature of Austen's writing was enough to praise Emma.

Austen's profound understanding of human nature and the novel's universal themes presented is also very admirable. The timelessness of its themes can be seen as Emma is adapted into Heckerling's fmdern film version, Clueless.

All in all, I enjoyed the book for its light-hearted, humourous and orderly structured composition.
    i find that if looked at in the correct fashion that it was not at all insipid or plotless. some plots are simply different than others. they have different goals and ways of proceeding. while certainly the novel wasnt perfect, as none can be even if you ignore that many people have different interests, it was a pretty high achievement. and also its useful for my fun with my peers. its considered by many mals of my age group and also females to be somewhat sissy for a guy to read, but actually its perfectly interesting regardless of gender and thus i can read a good book while im enjoying the stupid comments about my being gay, or lame, and other such things.

Kyu Chan - are you from Australia? Only reason why I ask is my sister recently finished high school and for English she did this topic area on "transformation from Emma to Clueless". Is that where you got it from?

I do like the themes. But I do think it is quite a complicated book if you try to write out the themes into some sort of an essay because I found many things intertwined. The whole marriage/love/social hierarchy themes are interconnected and quite difficult to separate.

I *asked* for my account to be "deleted"
    Blog Entries
    one thing i like about it is that every word counts. Maybe I like to punish myself, but the Miss Bates monologues are like music to my ears. considering on what you call a "LONG" novel, i find myself enjoying reading it.

I think it is perfectly normal to comment on Emma being 'plot-less' as that was the impression given to many of Austen's earliest readers. No substance and nothing worth reading apart from Emma's senseless blunders and her many awkward friends and relations.
    But I find it queer that if one could appreciate irony, why not Emma's plot? The plot is based on Austen's irony. Emma's 'cluelessness' and her matchmakings contrast to one another and foretelling can be spotted rather frequently. The Box Hill Scene also acts as a foil to Emma's usual visits to the poor.