Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you into sports?

Ebulliently Eclectic irinmisfit92's Avatar

Cool Are you into sports?

I was wondering if people here are into sports

The fastest I can go is probably around 15 minutes for a 2.4 km run. I used to be able to run faster than that. -.-" I think I'm too stressed because of A levels. I like to swim but sometimes I'm way too lazy to do it; I promise myself that I'm going to take up sports in university coz I really need to lose weight and be more curvy.

So yeah tell me about the sports that you enjoy and how fast you can run!

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nice topic.

Yeah, I'm into sports. I like football (the real stuff -- American football) and basketball, mostly. And I run 4 times a week. I entered a local 5-K race this summer and placed first in my age/gender bracket with a time of 21:48 minutes. I also do some mild upper-body exercises 3 times a week while watching TV -- push ups, sit ups, inverted push ups, arm curls, and shoulder presses.

The latter is sort of funny because I do the exercises when the show I want to watch is on. Then I mute the horrible advertisements and read my book, which currently is Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Banned
    I enjoy swimming, In summer I go swim in the sea everyday. It is a very basic workout, but the great thing about swimming is that it trains all your muscles.

Sport which I do for pure fun rather than taking care of my body are

Horse riding and Fencing. I am still an amateur in the latter, but for the former I have participated is several races.

There are few feelings in the world more delightful than taking a strong horse on a full gallop along the coast or in a plain.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm afraid I've never had any inclination towards organised sport. For some reason, I find all forms of it deathly dull. My exercise consists of taking long walks in the countryside, sometimes accompanied and sometimes alone - I find it most enjoyable, and it keeps me trim.

That said, a flatmate has made me promise to go along to his judo club and give it a try. I don't know, maybe I'll find a martial art appeals more than team sports.

And then there's football. Oh boy, football. There's something about football, and the culture that surrounds it, that really irritates me. I don't why, but it always turns into one of my soapbox rants. I'll spare you that here, so have some funny videos about football instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

That second one in particular reflects many of my feelings about it all. Meh, I know I'm weird and fairly isolated in my absolute distaste for sports - my flatmates are very good about it though, they don't mind the sarcastic and vitriolic commentary I maintain whenever they watch a sporting fixture on the TV. Actually, I think they rather enjoy it...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

I'm not massively sporty, but over the last couple of years I have got into cycling and this last year I have become addicted to tennis.

One thing I can't do at alll is run though. I'm OK for short bursts in tennis or running from pub to pub in the rain, but I can't do more than 200 metres without getting the stitch.
    Last edited by LitNetIsGreat; 09-08-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well, these days I'm quite lazy and I mostly just watch hockey. When I was younger I played hockey and participated in speedskating and figure skating. In college I played badminton and cricket (briefly).
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    I'm afraid I've never had any inclination towards organised sport. For some reason, I find all forms of it deathly dull. My exercise consists of taking long walks in the countryside, sometimes accompanied and sometimes alone - I find it most enjoyable, and it keeps me trim.

That said, a flatmate has made me promise to go along to his judo club and give it a try. I don't know, maybe I'll find a martial art appeals more than team sports.

And then there's football. Oh boy, football. There's something about football, and the culture that surrounds it, that really irritates me. I don't why, but it always turns into one of my soapbox rants. I'll spare you that here, so have some funny videos about football instead:

That second one in particular reflects many of my feelings about it all. Meh, I know I'm weird and fairly isolated in my absolute distaste for sports - my flatmates are very good about it though, they don't mind the sarcastic and vitriolic commentary I maintain whenever they watch a sporting fixture on the TV. Actually, I think they rather enjoy it...
    Lokasenna. Strange, I always pictured you as a Millwall "Suppoa" or WestHam. Yes, I do enjoy a bunch of yobs in an argument about football in the pub..yawn.

Blog Entries
    Oooh, I am. Martial arts are my thing (I've been a black belt in taekwondo since I was in the ninth grade and I'm an ameteur in Brazillian Jujitsu, as well as having some "informal" training in kickboxing from our town's "kickboxing club," even though none of the members are formally trained). I also dig tennis, although I'm not very good.

As for spectator sports, I'm Canadian like Pip so I watch hockey. I'm a pens fan, and the fact that Sid isn't coming back at the start of the season makes me very sad. I'll also admit to some bizzare geometric fascination with curling, cliche as it might be.

I find watching baseball, soccar, basketball and American football boring, but then I haven't made much of an effort to understand the rules as we don't get much exposure to those sports up here, plus I'm used to people flying around on ice at 40 km/h with knives on their feet.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 09-08-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    I really miss teamsports, and have done for the last 2 decades. I used to play footie for a pub side - The Old Globe - in the park on a Sunday morning. It was great for running a hangover off, and the banter was good, as was the beer after.

I also used to play Rugby League. I played to a semi-professional level - but I wasn't that good - just lucky to be in the right place. I was quick and enjoyed running into people.

Sport did a lot for me - it got me out of the house most nights and away playing rugby all over the north of England at the weekend. The second time I went to London was with a rugby tour, which was great. Fantastic fun. It gave me confidence, fitness and developed a bit of physical strength. It also helped me to be competitive, which I still am. (I can't catch the young guys who pass me on their bikes though).

Now I watch the Premiership football. I don't watch that much telly now, but I like the footie on a Saturday and Sunday night as there's no-one up at that time and I get control of the control.

I'd like to play an old codgers version of footie or touch rugby, but there's not much about for forty-somethings.

me like football on tv.

Livin' in Slow Motion Hurricane's Avatar
    I really enjoy working out and recently have started to get into marathons and adventure racing, which is a kind of endurance racing that involves different outdoor sports (usually canoeing, mountain biking, and trail running/trekking for a total of around 70-100 miles). I rowed and ran cross country in high school and did rugby briefly in college, but it hurt my grades so I dropped it for intramural sports.
    I've been trying to swim a lot lately and would like to try triathlons as well, but we'll see how that goes. I'm an awful swimmer.

For watching sports, I really enjoy football (American) and baseball. My friend is captain of the basketball team here so I go to her games, but don't really understand what's going on and get kinda bored.
    I wasn't really into football before going to college, but now that I'm here I really enjoy going to the games and watching them on TV. I'll watch any college game pretty much. Since my college's team isn't that great (we scratched at the door last year for getting ranked, but those days are past) I usually don't have a dog in the fight when I watch NCAA and pick who I want to win arbitrarily.
    For NFL, it's all about the Pats and for the MLB, the Sox.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

I played tennis during my childhood and in college, but not much these days. I also did gymnastics for many years and ran track and field.

I'm averse to working out indoors and watching any sport on TV besides tennis, but I love to hike, swim and recently started biking.

I'm grateful that I grew up playing sports. They're an integral, healthy part of my life, just like drinking water or brushing my teeth. I have friends who aren't sporty but I could never date or marry a man who wasn't sports oriented.
    All good books have one thing in common- they are truer than if they had really happened. (Hemingway)

Banned
    The "sport" I seem to do most - consistently summer and winter - is running or climbing up and down stairs. It's always available and seems to be what I end up doing. I'm wondering if I should mention other "sports" I do most, such as jumping up and down, flailing about, and silly dancing (this last one especially when I'm drinking.)

I run, but not fast, and now do 2 miles per day.

Shoveling snow is my upper-body workout in winter.

I think swimming would be my favorite sport if I had my own pool, but I won't swim in public pools or the cold lake.

I HATE gyms. I HATE spectator sports. And I HATE team sports, because I'm not a "team-player" as the women I work with would attest to.

And I hike, bike, ski, and, oh yes, walk.
    Last edited by Vonny; 09-09-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Ebulliently Eclectic irinmisfit92's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
    Nice topic.

Yeah, I'm into sports. I like football (the real stuff -- American football) and basketball, mostly. And I run 4 times a week. I entered a local 5-K race this summer and placed first in my age/gender bracket with a time of 21:48 minutes. I also do some mild upper-body exercises 3 times a week while watching TV -- push ups, sit ups, inverted push ups, arm curls, and shoulder presses.

The latter is sort of funny because I do the exercises when the show I want to watch is on. Then I mute the horrible advertisements and read my book, which currently is Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.
    That's really cool Ooo that's good; did 21 minutes and 48 minutes meet your expectations? Sounds like you're a decently muscular person. I think it's very important to take care of one's looks by being sporty or at least taking care of what food is being eaten.

Ahh lol I've never heard of that book before. Is it American? I rarely read any American books except maybe those from one of my favourite authors, Ted Dekker.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    I enjoy swimming, In summer I go swim in the sea everyday. It is a very basic workout, but the great thing about swimming is that it trains all your muscles.

Sport which I do for pure fun rather than taking care of my body are

Horse riding and Fencing. I am still an amateur in the latter, but for the former I have participated is several races.

There are few feelings in the world more delightful than taking a strong horse on a full gallop along the coast or in a plain.
    Whoa that's really cool; swimming in the sea! My mom used to force me to swim everyday and I enjoy it but sometimes I'm way too lazy to do it. I still think when one swims he can totally relax and dream. Being underwater's great.

Fencing sounds great; I've always wanted to do something with 'swords'.

I've never rode a horse before, partly because Southeast Asia doesn't really have many horses, or at least people here don't really do horse riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post

It's fine you can rant to me about how much you hate football I won't judge xP I understand how that's like because organised sports are usually very biased towards those who are really good in the team and they leave out those who are less good. I've gone through that for many years. I think judo will be fun; I've taken up martial arts before but the teacher hated me because I couldn't memorise the moves XD I think I really want to take taekwondo instead of aikido, as taekwondo is more about being offensive rather than being defensive like what people do in aikido.

Haha that's good if they can accept you. It's fine people here deem me as being very weird and everything, especially I'm one of the very few people around who is into literature. Scholars here generally take science and I'm like the arts freak around XD I'm not really sporty but I believe that taking care of one's figure is the most crucial thing in the world, so I mainly take care of what I eat and I try to run as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    I'm not massively sporty, but over the last couple of years I have got into cycling and this last year I have become addicted to tennis.

One thing I can't do at alll is run though. I'm OK for short bursts in tennis or running from pub to pub in the rain, but I can't do more than 200 metres without getting the stitch.
    Cycling is really fun I have to admit I love it but my bike is back in Indonesia so I'll probably try to cycle more when I go back home. I think I need to run more to get myself in shape, though, since I really need to get rid of my waist fats XD Ahh I can understand. Whenever I run 2.4 kilometres I get stitches after around 1 km.

Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    Well, these days I'm quite lazy and I mostly just watch hockey. When I was younger I played hockey and participated in speedskating and figure skating. In college I played badminton and cricket (briefly).
    Oh that's cool you played hockey! My sister was in hockey in her Junior College here, which is now the school where I'm studying right now.

Figure skating? What is that about? I've never heard of it here.

Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    Lokasenna. Strange, I always pictured you as a Millwall "Suppoa" or WestHam. Yes, I do enjoy a bunch of yobs in an argument about football in the pub..yawn.
    I've never seen you around in the forum D:" Anyway tell me what a pony is XD There was this British series I was watching and these two geeks were trying to make friends with football people in a football voice. It was funny but Asians here are generally very ignorant of British slang and movies so I have no idea how to make British jokes, lest talk about football in a British way. I think it'll be fun XD

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    Oooh, I am. Martial arts are my thing (I've been a black belt in taekwondo since I was in the ninth grade and I'm an ameteur in Brazillian Jujitsu, as well as having some "informal" training in kickboxing from our town's "kickboxing club," even though none of the members are formally trained). I also dig tennis, although I'm not very good.

As for spectator sports, I'm Canadian like Pip so I watch hockey. I'm a pens fan, and the fact that Sid isn't coming back at the start of the season makes me very sad. I'll also admit to some bizzare geometric fascination with curling, cliche as it might be.

I find watching baseball, soccar, basketball and American football boring, but then I haven't made much of an effort to understand the rules as we don't get much exposure to those sports up here, plus I'm used to people flying around on ice at 40 km/h with knives on their feet.
    That's cool; I've always wanted to be sporty but I can't. I just try to run whenever I have the mood because I'm not very lean. I'm very bad at things involving my body such as dance and sports but I really want to take up sports in uni. I love martial arts because it makes you really much stronger so I may want to pick it up again because I used to take aikido lessons a few years back. I also sometimes gym to train myself because my arms are very small and there are almost no muscles. >>"

Ahh it's a Canadian thing I'm sure :P Here hockey's not a very popular sport as many schools don't really play it. I think it's pretty fun but Asians are generally more hyped up about badminton and soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I really enjoy working out and recently have started to get into marathons and adventure racing, which is a kind of endurance racing that involves different outdoor sports (usually canoeing, mountain biking, and trail running/trekking for a total of around 70-100 miles). I rowed and ran cross country in high school and did rugby briefly in college, but it hurt my grades so I dropped it for intramural sports.
    I've been trying to swim a lot lately and would like to try triathlons as well, but we'll see how that goes. I'm an awful swimmer.

For watching sports, I really enjoy football (American) and baseball. My friend is captain of the basketball team here so I go to her games, but don't really understand what's going on and get kinda bored.
    I wasn't really into football before going to college, but now that I'm here I really enjoy going to the games and watching them on TV. I'll watch any college game pretty much. Since my college's team isn't that great (we scratched at the door last year for getting ranked, but those days are past) I usually don't have a dog in the fight when I watch NCAA and pick who I want to win arbitrarily.
    For NFL, it's all about the Pats and for the MLB, the Sox.
    I think triathlons is pretty fun but I've never gotten around sports; I think I really need to buck up and join these events more often. This country has tons of sporty people it's crazy. I'm very weak physically so I try to run. My endurance really sucks XD I love swimming too it's very refreshing.

I think basketball is too much of an American thing and I never got around it either. Asians here are very excited when it comes to soccer.

Oh you're in college. Which one are you attending? Sounds good :P

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    I really miss teamsports, and have done for the last 2 decades. I used to play footie for a pub side - The Old Globe - in the park on a Sunday morning. It was great for running a hangover off, and the banter was good, as was the beer after.

I also used to play Rugby League. I played to a semi-professional level - but I wasn't that good - just lucky to be in the right place. I was quick and enjoyed running into people.

Sport did a lot for me - it got me out of the house most nights and away playing rugby all over the north of England at the weekend. The second time I went to London was with a rugby tour, which was great. Fantastic fun. It gave me confidence, fitness and developed a bit of physical strength. It also helped me to be competitive, which I still am. (I can't catch the young guys who pass me on their bikes though).

Now I watch the Premiership football. I don't watch that much telly now, but I like the footie on a Saturday and Sunday night as there's no-one up at that time and I get control of the control.

I'd like to play an old codgers version of footie or touch rugby, but there's not much about for forty-somethings.
    That sounds good My school's rugby's really good. Ooh that's really good I think yeah sports really make a difference because you feel healthier and you are healthier. Lol it's fine you can always train more and you'll be one of those older men who are still very sporty and young at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Melysnl View Post
    I played tennis during my childhood and in college, but not much these days. I also did gymnastics for many years and ran track and field.

I'm averse to working out indoors and watching any sport on TV besides tennis, but I love to hike, swim and recently started biking.

I'm grateful that I grew up playing sports. They're an integral, healthy part of my life, just like drinking water or brushing my teeth. I have friends who aren't sporty but I could never date or marry a man who wasn't sports oriented.
    Sounds cool Swimming and biking are really fun. I understand how that's like. I think to me it's more important if the guy takes care of how he looks through taking care of his food and his body rather than whether he's truly sporty or not. I was really fat when I was younger and I tried really hard to lose weight so I feel that it's very important to take care of one's looks.

Blog Entries
    I could walk for hours but anything more than that, no way! I don't like watching sports and definetly not playing them. I thought about playing football as a kid because my dad and my older brother were addicted to it and my dad was working a bit for the local football club but it was never more than an idea. but walking keeps me in shape, and for the upper body workout I walk my dogs (sometimes they walk me).
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast