Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Movies That Deserve "Palm D'Or"

Ebulliently Eclectic irinmisfit92's Avatar

Movies That Deserve "Palm D'Or"

I'm completely assuming here that Palm d'Or is the highest award that can be given to a movie. :P It's not necessarily have to be good in every aspect because if that's the case then this award would most likely be attributed to very old movies such as those made by Ingmar Bergman and Akira Kurosawa because of their way of direction and manner in storytelling, but try to think of more recent movies and let's see what selection you guys come up with.

I'm thinking of Let The Right One In (2008) and The Dark Knight (2008).

Honestly, LTROI is too beautiful in many ways. I'm not saying that Rotten Tomatoes is perfectly reliable, but it was rated 8.2 out of 10 in that website, and 98% of the critics loved it. The audiences could also not help but fall in love with the relationship between Eli and Oskar. I have to say that LTROI (and Harbour, also written by Lindqvist) is one of the best and most thought-provoking book I've ever read. Honestly, not everyone can write in such a powerful way like how he does.

The Dark Knight... well, it may be too much of an action superhero movie to many critics who prefer something else, but it deserves the award not only because of Heath Ledger's absolutely flawless acting. It's not just a superhero movie, it's a movie that questions justice and the role of a watchdog. That in itself is profound, and as always Christopher Nolan made a really good movie.

Crap, there are way too many good movies out there. D:"

Blog Entries
    Well, we talked about this a little in another thread. I was glad to hear The Tree of Life got it. That film makes history. It is so far from ordinary. It's so far away from American garbage.

Blog Entries
    I really disliked Let the Right One In. Personally,I thought it left something to be desired and my mind kept wandering away.

I also grew up in the theatre with a mother who film makes, script writes, rigs lights, does sound, directs, you name it- so I am too much of a critic for my own good.

The Fall was powerful for me- very, very powerful. It didn't make me weep or think about it for weeks on end, but it was a great film in every respect.
    Naked except for a cigarette, you let your mind drift and forget your disbelief. Feel the chill down your back and the flutter of wings through dandelion fields, and forget the pull of gravity in a night without stars.

I lack eloquence and commitment to my arguments. They are half baked, and I will begin passionately, and then abandon them.

agree with Let The Right One In

I'd also suggest:
    The Iron Bell and the Butterfly
    Look at Me (which won a best screenplay award at Cannes)
    The Lives of Others
    Winter's Bone
    Mother

Blog Entries
    Mysterious Skin (2004) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370986/
    Naked except for a cigarette, you let your mind drift and forget your disbelief. Feel the chill down your back and the flutter of wings through dandelion fields, and forget the pull of gravity in a night without stars.

I lack eloquence and commitment to my arguments. They are half baked, and I will begin passionately, and then abandon them.

Blog Entries
    Mysterious Skin is Araki's best movie, but it's not a perfect movie either.

In 2008, Entre les murs won, and it was actually a really good movie. I probably liked it better than Let the Right One In or the Dark Knight.

Some of the movies mentioned above are quite good though. I was probably the only person routing for Winter's Bone for best picture last year.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    No, it's not perfect, just one of my personal favorites, if I had to pick a movie I've seen to win an award, it would certainly be on the list

Ebulliently Eclectic irinmisfit92's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Varenne Rodin View Post
    Well, we talked about this a little in another thread. I was glad to hear The Tree of Life got it. That film makes history. It is so far from ordinary. It's so far away from American garbage.
    I'm pretty sure it is considering that it got awarded the real Palm d'Or. I think Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives kinda deserved the Palm d'Or for last year's Cannes. I fell asleep during the movie because I was so tired after school and the movie kind of bored me :P

Of Gods and Men deserved The Grand Prix for last year's Cannes Now that movie is history too. So beautiful <3

Quote Originally Posted by 1n50mn14 View Post
    I really disliked Let the Right One In. Personally,I thought it left something to be desired and my mind kept wandering away.

I also grew up in the theatre with a mother who film makes, script writes, rigs lights, does sound, directs, you name it- so I am too much of a critic for my own good.

The Fall was powerful for me- very, very powerful. It didn't make me weep or think about it for weeks on end, but it was a great film in every respect.
    I can understand what you mean. Ahhh that's not surprising that you're very critical of LTROI. If my parents' occupations revolved around movies, I don't think I'll be able to like a lot of movies I like now. There's no such a thing called a perfect movie so oh well :P

In A Better World was very powerful for me personally. Love that Danish movie You mean The Fall as in the movie from 2006? I've just looked it up in Rotten Tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by joelavine View Post
    agree with Let The Right One In

I'd also suggest:
    The Iron Bell and the Butterfly
    Look at Me (which won a best screenplay award at Cannes)
    The Lives of Others
    Winter's Bone
    Mother
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was very very beautiful I have to agree It was kind of a pain in the *** sometimes for me personally because I got bored of the nurses trying to get the guy talking :P

The Lives of Others and Mother were good, but I have to say that Winter's Bone disappointed me greatly. It didn't occur to me as being even a good movie because it was way too rough. Oh well, my personal bias :P

The Lives of Others way surpassed Mother. I think Mother could've been slightly better, but I suppose the old lady's acting was pretty brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by 1n50mn14 View Post
    I agree that Mysterious Skin is a beautiful movie but I don't think it deserves that high of an award to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    Mysterious Skin is Araki's best movie, but it's not a perfect movie either.

In 2008, Entre les murs won, and it was actually a really good movie. I probably liked it better than Let the Right One In or the Dark Knight.

Some of the movies mentioned above are quite good though. I was probably the only person routing for Winter's Bone for best picture last year.
    Entre Les Murs is awesome I love it. I prefer LTROI and The Dark Knight because I'm more of an entertainment sort of person. Entre Les Murs was more like a documentary to me. I also love The Cove.