Thread: College application

College application

thats the question:
    Please expand upon an aspect (s) of your academic or extra-curricular background that you feel is especially important to you and that will help us to get to know you as a person

This is a real rough draft, i feel like im not on topic, but i may be haha.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    I have read several quotes by influential men and women who advocate the notion that one should never be afraid to fail. In contradistinction to me, the fear for failure drives me to success. As a young man, I have come to understand that today’s preparation will shape tomorrow’s destination. For me failure is not an option, especially when I have the power and ability to make sure that whatever I set out to do, as long as I work hard and put in the effort needed, I can be happy with myself and reach the goals I set.
    In my continuous quest for success, I find creative ways to slowly but surely achieve the objectives I set out. Commitment to purpose and passion for ideas help me sustain interest in my chosen endeavors. As I seek to master my environment and take charge, I challenge assumptions and become increasingly curious of the world around me. This nature of mine manifests itself even outside the scope of just achieving and reaching goals.
    I am that type of guy that gets easily fascinated by things others may find usual and normal. If one were to take a tally of how many times a day I say either the words “why,” or “how,” that person would most likely think that those were my two favorite words. No, they are not. They are just words that accompany me on my quest in solving fascinations in the things I see every day.
    In elementary school seeing how I could interact and use the internet to access websites intrigued so much to the extent that I made it a mission to make my own website. In order to do so, I asked my father to buy me a domain to help make my mission attainable. Not surprisingly, my father was shocked at the fact that I already had an interest in building my own website at such an early age. My father agreed and bought me a domain for a year. It wasn’t long till I realized that in order to make my future website an attractive and eye-catching site, I would need to learn the HTML language. Afraid of making a lackluster website, I immediately used the internet to acquire as much knowledge about how I could use the HTML language to create an attractive site. I soon had to come to terms with the fact that not knowing much about the power of computers and computer languages left me in a position requiring me to spend more time learning instead of actually working on the website. Left in a predicament, I soon began to incessantly question my father on how a piece of technology could be programmed to work the way one wants it too by means of a programming language. Knowing my dad probably hated this time in his own life, I can never thank him enough for such a learning experience.
    For some odd reason, I always want to know how things work the way they do, or why they don’t work or work another way. Always wanting to have those questions answered at times leaves me challenged because I cannot deal with not knowing how things operate and run especially when I have the luxury of living in the information age of today which grants me the ability to answer those questions for myself. In addition to outside research to help answer the many questions I ask myself every day, the classroom has been a huge supplement to understanding and answering the many questions that constantly challenge me.
    My course selections throughout highschool have been influenced by my desire to learn and understand the perplexing and sometimes cryptic operations that simultaneously go on around me. Upon entering high school, I chose to enter the math/science track in my school which enabled me to focus and take more math and science classes at a higher difficulty than the regular academic paths others take. Taking classes such as AP biology instead of the alternative gifted biology allowed me to learn in depth the study of life and living organisms while still being the granted to think more freely and ask questions that have helped me understand the world I live in. Being able to see how the application of calculus helped project the path of the Apollo capsule to arrive at the moon at the precise location in its orbit above the earth was only possible with my decision to challenge myself with AP calculus which again helped me understand the several occurrences that have took place on this planet. These two classes are just two examples on how my class selections have helped temporarily satisfy my curious mind.
    To me, ”why?” is the most important question in the whole universe. The potential that it carries when asked is immense and the knowledge and empowerment it provides when it’s answered is unmatched by any other force. This inquisitive impulse allows one to analyze any object or situation and thereby enabling one to change it. Attending -- will help me answer some of whys directly, while supplying me with the tools needed to answer the other whys on my own. This journey in retribution will lead me in the direction of answering a “why?” that has been failed to be answered; thus allowing me to give back to the world and the other curious beings who seek to answer questions similar to the ones i ask myself everyday
    Last edited by Throughhymn; 08-28-2011 at 03:04 PM.