Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is everyone lonely?

Unregistered User
    Quote Originally Posted by G L Wilson View Post
    tomorrow is always a better day
    Which makes the best day of life the day we die.
    Dare to know

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Endon View Post
    (Samuel Beckett)

This is, for me, a fact of life.

However, the crucial distinction between "alone" and "lonely" must be made. Everyone is alone (unless, perhaps, if you've a siamese twin sharing your vital organs). But not everyone's lonely. Loneliness is a mismanagement of our aloneness.

Yeah, I think people who're lonely haven't developed enough solo hobbies to occupy their time.

Though, if you have friends and solo hobbies, and you're still lonely, you might just be depressed.
    All good books have one thing in common- they are truer than if they had really happened. (Hemingway)

Blog Entries
    I really like how Alexander defined the difference between loneliness and solitude. I suppose loneliness is a sad state to be in, if you are that unbearable. In contrast, solitude is a state we choice to put ourselves in. In my opinion, I'm my own best friend and have the best time when I am hanging out with myself. But I do like to be around people, but only in a very limited capacity. This is why I love LitNet!

I am isolated from everyone I know. Adults feel a "parental concern" I do not want, people my age think I am boring and insane. I don't think this kind of loneliness is indolence or self-pity. I enjoy solitude since being around people is difficult for me, but sometimes I want understanding, or support. It is tiring to be perpetually misjudged.

Blog Entries
    It is probably exhausting to be the support. Not necessarily of you, but of individuals with such unique profiles as yourself. One's got to learn to be self-reliant and support himself/herself as an adult. Learning to cope and to develop good healthy coping mechanisms are beneficial to everyone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cl154576 View Post
    I am isolated from everyone I know. Adults feel a "parental concern" I do not want, people my age think I am boring and insane. I don't think this kind of loneliness is indolence or self-pity. I enjoy solitude since being around people is difficult for me, but sometimes I want understanding, or support. It is tiring to be perpetually misjudged.
    If you are insane that is fine. Be anything and it is fine. Bud dont be Boring. That is one of the greatest sins dullness.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    If you are insane that is fine. Be anything and it is fine. Bud dont be Boring. That is one of the greatest sins dullness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee View Post
    It is probably exhausting to be the support. Not necessarily of you, but of individuals with such unique profiles as yourself. One's got to learn to be self-reliant and support himself/herself as an adult. Learning to cope and to develop good healthy coping mechanisms are beneficial to everyone.
    Maybe it would be better if you said this to me instead of cl, in case cl is only 13 and cutting herself/himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    It's mutual. I simply have very different interests from them. They do not care about music, math or literature, I do not care about television or makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonny View Post
    Maybe it would be better if you said this to me instead of cl, in case cl is only 13 and cutting herself/himself.
    What does this mean? I cut, but it cannot be affected by anything anyone else says. I cut because I like to; it's just another hobby to me. It has nothing to do with being upset by someone else's words.

Blog Entries
    Vonny- I wasn't targeting anyone. Sorry if that came off the wrong way.

Sometimes u get used to loneliness... That it even becomes better than having ppl around who dnt understand or feel
    "He is asleep. Though his mettle was sorely tried,
    He lived, and when he lost his angel, died.
    It happened calmly, on its own,
    The way the night comes when day is done."

Some people aren't lonely even when they are alone. Some people are lonely when they are with a crowd of people. Loneliness is a private sort of experience. It's experienced and lived through the single individual. As for your question, i don't think everyone is lonely. But i certainly do think that everyone can be ' alone ' in every sense of the word at some point in their lives.
    " Poets must give their all, in order to obtain the slightest approval " - Jean Cocteau

Blog Entries
    For me loneliness arises from a lack of being understood. However, as I don't think one person can ever really understand another, I think there is always some degree of loneliness.

Personally, sometimes I feel lonelier among people then when I am on my own. It is easier to feel connection from a point of solitude (or in theory).
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticPassions View Post
    For me loneliness arises from a lack of being understood. However, as I don't think one person can ever really understand another, I think there is always some degree of loneliness.
    I tend to agree with this. I find the idea that noone ever really being able to fully comprehend the experiences of another fascinating. It is only to an extent that we understand another persons experiences and this understanding is based upon our own personal take, so in a sense it is just our understanding of a concept through our own criteria as opposed to a criteria that is ' out there '
    " Poets must give their all, in order to obtain the slightest approval " - Jean Cocteau

Blog Entries
    Delta the latecomer as usual. Define loneliness for me again?
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Loneliness is a state of mind and in fact I never feel lonely. For example I am writing on this forum and talking with you. Am I lonely in this situation? I am happy sharing with you and commenting constructively or destructively and getting the same in return.

I am always finding people of some sort around me and I am happy with all of them and I have no enmity or rivalry with anybody. I do not believe that only my friends and relatives can make make me happy and remove my loneliness. I can be accompanied everywhere and even if I am a traveler in a distant land with an alien people I still feel at home with them. In fact this is an attitude and if we have a right attitude you can find a legion everywhere.

If I am not with any people I can get a company of birds, animals and at times of my flowers. If not anything to accompany me in poetry I take refuge. I am never never feeling lonely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast