Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cormac McCarthy

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cormac McCarthy

So, I wanted to get some recommendations and opinions on Cormac McCarthy. I'm reading Blood Meridian right now, and after 140 pages or so, all I can say is wow. It's probably the darkest, most chilling and disturbing thing I've ever read, and it's so great. His prose is just so lyrical and poetic and beautiful. Well, you get the point.

I first tried McCarthy by reading No Country for Old Men after seeing the movie (still a favorite of mine), and wasn't in to it since the book was so like the movie, and I couldn't get past no quotes. Blood Meridian is so good, no quotes doesn't even matter.

So, I want to get a couple more books by him (reading him in a digital format seems like it would be a crime, for some reason). What should I get? After seeing The Road (such a boring movie, though I did enjoy it), I'd rather not read the book. What would you suggest?

The Road is an amazing book, not quite Blood Meridian but probably his second best, if not top three. I've also heard nothing but good about Suttree which is the next book of his on my list. He's probably my favorite living American author. All the Pretty Horses is another highly acclaimed book, haven't read it though.

I've just purchased 'Blood Meridian' as well. Been interested in reading it for a long time and will probably start this week sometime.

The only thing I've read of his was his play "The Sunset Limited". His talent was clear even from that short piece. There's some real power and skill with his dialogue, so I can't wait to read his prose in a longer piece.

The only McCarthy I've read so far is "Child of God" - about a necrophilic serial killer in East Tennessee, which was ... memorable. I keep meaning to read more McCarthy but for some reason I haven't got round to it.

The road is very good. I still find funny how someone wrote a zombie apocalypse without zombie but with jesus. Anyways, the Crossing is quite good. Cities of the plains is not as good, but the final is worth the novel.

Blog Entries
    Suttree is definitely a book that you should read, especially if you are looking for the poetic side to McCarthy. His descriptions of the city are so beautiful.

But definitely read The Road even though you didn't like the film. I saw the film first and wasn't impressed but I read the book and I honestly think it is my favourite book from any writer. It really is impressive, and is so upsetting. The boy is portrayed really well through his little mannerisms and the questions he asks his father from time to time, and their journey is depicted with so much feeling and emotion. Give it a go you will be surprised after the mediocre film that was made of it.
    'For sale: baby shoes, never worn'. Hemingway

If you want more of the same you could try the border trilogy. In my mind Blood Meridian is like a prologue to those books...No Country for Old Men is an epilogue.

I think Blood Meridian, Suttree and The Crossing are his best works. Suttree is a glorious book. The Crossing is tragic. Blood meridian is terrifying.

I have just got into Cormac McCarthy myself, starting with The Road. If you are a fan of McCarthy you definitely should give it a try. I recently started Blood Meridian and I was blown away by the beautiful prose, but after awhile, I couldn't stomach the senseless brutality of the main characters. But I think I'll try one of his other novels, since I do love his writing style so much.
    “Yesterday's rose endures in its name, we hold empty names.”
    ― Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose

Don't judge 'the Road' by its movie, its a brilliant book. Definitely give it a try.

Full many a gem of purest ray serene
    The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear:
    Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
    And waste its sweetness on the desert air.

From Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard ~ Thomas Gray

All the Pretty Horses was fun, high adventure painted with a sad palette and visceral moments- and of course, The Crossing's conclusion to the wolf episode is haunting like pure poetry. Would definitely recommend the Border Trilogy.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Panglossian View Post
    The only McCarthy I've read so far is "Child of God" - about a necrophilic serial killer in East Tennessee, which was ... memorable. I keep meaning to read more McCarthy but for some reason I haven't got round to it.
    Wow was that book "memorable" or what. I honestly couldn't get through the thing, I started feeling as dark, disturbed and depraved as the main character. Very disturbing book.

I personally would reccomend The Border Trilogy. It's a great adventure series and exemplifies his poetic language and philosophy (especially in "The Crossing") as well as a more personal side to his story telling than in Blood Meridian. I'm working on re-reading the triology right now. Suttree is sitting on my book shelf waiting for me to finish, though I think I'm going to tackle Moby Dick before I go back to another McCarthy novel.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cool, thanks for the recs, all.

Suttree is the other end of the spectrum from Blood Meridian. Browse and read the first page and it will be obvious; instead of BM's spare and direct descriptions one finds the details of visual perception packed so closely that they are difficult to unpack the first time through some passages—but well worth the effort. Many think it is his best work. Outer Dark and his first novel, The Orchard Keeper, also set in Appalachia, are very good. The border trilogy is excellent and should be read in order; I like The Crossing best. In short, it is all good. No Country for Old Men I liked less—read like a movie treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by WyattGwyon View Post
    Suttree is the other end of the spectrum from Blood Meridian. Browse and read the first page and it will be obvious; instead of BM's spare and direct descriptions one finds the details of visual perception packed so closely that they are difficult to unpack the first time through some passages—but well worth the effort. Many think it is his best work. Outer Dark and his first novel, The Orchard Keeper, also set in Appalachia, are very good. The border trilogy is excellent and should be read in order; I like The Crossing best. In short, it is all good. No Country for Old Men I liked less—read like a movie treatment.
    I'll just add that I also found The Road to be a very good book, though no where near Blood Meridian. The Road because of its spare prose is a pretty quick read though admittedly a little dull at times. As other have said Suttree is considered to be his other "really good one" though I have yet to read that one myself.

I may get **** for this but No Country for Old Men was a mediocre book. It was mildly entertaining but I was never really wowed by it, and it is my least favorite work by McCarthy (out of TR, BM, and NCFOM). Also I have to gripe about this No Country won Best Picture in 2007 when this award should have clearly gone to There Will Be Blood!
    Check out my blog it has basically nothing to do with literature.
    http://slingsandarrowsandtheproudman.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rores28 View Post
    I'll just add that I also found The Road to be a very good book, though no where near Blood Meridian. The Road because of its spare prose is a pretty quick read though admittedly a little dull at times. As other have said Suttree is considered to be his other "really good one" though I have yet to read that one myself.

I may get **** for this but No Country for Old Men was a mediocre book. It was mildly entertaining but I was never really wowed by it, and it is my least favorite work by McCarthy (out of TR, BM, and NCFOM). Also I have to gripe about this No Country won Best Picture in 2007 when this award should have clearly gone to There Will Be Blood!
    I agree, No Country for Old Men is probably his worst novel though entertaining nonetheless in my opinion. I heard that he wrote it with the intention of it being made into a movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast