Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cormac McCarthy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, it was an amazing movie, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoReader View Post
    I agree, No Country for Old Men is probably his worst novel though entertaining nonetheless in my opinion. I heard that he wrote it with the intention of it being made into a movie.
    Yes, in fact, he wrote it as a screen play, it was rejected, so he turned it into a novel, and then someone read it and said hey that would make a good movie. At least as I've heard it told.

No Country was a really good movie Mutatis, but I still think There Will Be Blood is leagues better.
    Check out my blog it has basically nothing to do with literature.
    http://slingsandarrowsandtheproudman.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Meh. I found There Will Be Blood to be good, but beyond Daniel Day Lewis's performance, it seemed to me quite mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    Meh. I found There Will Be Blood to be good, but beyond Daniel Day Lewis's performance, it seemed to me quite mediocre.
    There Will Be Blood...mediocre?...hmmm

If it went over your head, which I think it did, then just say you didn't like it or get it. But calling it mediocre?...riiight

After careful review, your film criticism privileges have been hereby revoked by the Board of Trustees. You can reapply for it in 18 months, but no guarantees can be made regarding your reinstatement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    How dare you.
    Check out my blog it has basically nothing to do with literature.
    http://slingsandarrowsandtheproudman.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ah. So, because I didn't appreciate a movie, I didn't "get it." Please take that snobbish and pretentious attitude elsewhere, Vautrin. I can't stand people who pull the "you didn't get" BS when someone doesn't like a movie.

I "got" what the director was trying to do, and what was produced seemed to me an overwrought, draggy, and, by the end, silly movie. One can pack all the symbolism a movie can possibly hold, but that doesn't mean it's going to be a good film, and in my OPINION, There Will Be Blood was a good movie, and nothing more.

Ryon Shepard
    I've read every McCarthy book except for No Country For Old Men, which I have put off because I have seen the movie.

As far as McCarthy novels go, I would say that Suttree is 1a and Blood Meridian is 1b. I don't just think that these are McCarthy's best, but two of the best books ever written, by any author, if that is possible to judge. Suttree is my personal favorite book. I have gotten more pleasure from reading this book than any other. I think the prose is astounding, yet unlike something like say, Ulysses (which i also really enjoy), I think it connects with you more emotionally.

Blog Entries
    I agree with that. I'm reading Ulysses at the moment actually. I think McCarthy's books have a lot more feeling and emotion involved, because that is where his power comes from. Whereas I think Ulysses is technically a better novel, and I am really enjoying it. I think both writers pay a lot of attention to little details, little things the characters do, and they describe these actions perfectly.
    'For sale: baby shoes, never worn'. Hemingway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12