Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tolerance is Indifference

Tolerance is Indifference

Tolerance is not a matter of respecting the views of others, it is a matter of coming to realise that they're never going to change. Where hope lies, intolerance lies also. It is the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by G L Wilson View Post
    Tolerance is not a matter of respecting the views of others, it is a matter of coming to realise that they're never going to change. Where hope lies, intolerance lies also. It is the nature of the beast.
    I can hear the distant sound of a padlock being opened.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    I can hear the distant sound of a padlock being opened.
    Hope is the beast.

Hope is the beast.
    Then it is wrong to hope, always?

Blog Entries
    There have been quite a few debates around multiculturalism based on this very issue. At the very best, I suppose you can always ignore other's points of view, even if you vehemently disagree with them.
    docendo discimus

Quote Originally Posted by cl154576 View Post
    Then it is wrong to hope, always?
    Camus thought so, I don't think like Camus.
    Last edited by G L Wilson; 08-05-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Title user custom
    Tolerance is to empathy what respect is to love.
    My blog about literature (in spanish): http://otrasbentilaciones.wordpress.com/

More like tolerance is to acquiescence as trust is to a frenemy. It's knowing you can still maintain friendly relations with latent rejection and disdain.

That's a good one. Yes I agree we should all be tolerant of other cultures, races, sexes, religions etc, etc, glad that you think so. Good on you for supporting that. (Irony)

Quote Originally Posted by Serena03 View Post
    More like tolerance is to acquiescence as trust is to a frenemy. It's knowing you can still maintain friendly relations with latent rejection and disdain.
    It sounds like an unhappy marriage to me.

Blog Entries
    Tolerance isn't indifference. Neither is it the "we're all the same really" attitude you someties get at interfaith meetings. It's an acceptance that you will disagree on some aspects, and it not matter to normal human relations.

There are lots of things we will disagree on - vegetarianism, religion, some form of politics. Why should that mean that we can't get on? None of them are overtly harmful to a person unes pushed to an extreme.

We should be intolerant of intolerance though.

Blog Entries
    tolerance is a peaceful acknowledgement of diversity. From one fellow Aussie to another GL the bigotry and racism in this country is shameful when put against the backdrop of human rights. tolerance comes through compromise between parties and Aussies suck at it big time - possibly due to the insular society we live in. Perth is the most isolated city in the world. In the 50's & 60's Aussies marched against 'wogs'. In the 70's they targeted 'poms'. In the 80's & 90's it was Asians out and now in the 21st century it's muslims. In the meantime, the government sends in the military to remote Indigenous communities and Social Security replaces cash payments with food vouchers etc to those living there while 'true blue' Aussies drink, beat and molest their own kids quite freely. Even the UN is repulsed by our actions. So if nothing else, you're like most people on your street but it does not make you right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norther...gency_Response
    Last edited by Delta40; 08-05-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    tolerance is a peaceful acknowledgement of diversity. From one fellow Aussie to another GL the bigotry and racism in this country is shameful when put against the backdrop of human rights. tolerance comes through compromise between parties and Aussies suck at it big time - possibly due to the insular society we live in. Perth is the most isolated city in the world. In the 50's & 60's Aussies marched against 'wogs'. In the 70's they targeted 'poms'. In the 80's & 90's it was Asians out and now in the 21st century it's muslims. In the meantime, the government sends in the military to remote Indigenous communities and Social Security replaces cash payments with food vouchers etc to those living there while 'true blue' Aussies drink, beat and molest their own kids quite freely. Even the UN is repulsed by our actions. So if nothing else, you're like most people on your street but it does not make you right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norther...gency_Response
    If I have given my support in any way to that kind of hatred, I hate myself even more.

Blog Entries
    If I have given my support in any way to that kind of hatred, I hate myself even more.
    Man you really do need a hug! Hate yourself more than what?
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    Man you really do need a hug! Hate yourself more than what?
    The world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast