Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Does love exist?

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    it exists. we just aren't capable of giving it.

love is unconditional and eternal. humans will always have conditions when giving love. since it has conditions, that is not love.
    Love is never pure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G L Wilson View Post
    Love is never pure.
    Yes it can be - I hope you and chipper experience unconditional love someday, as it only makes sense when it is felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    Yes it can be - I hope you and chipper experience unconditional love someday, as it only makes sense when it is felt.
    Name one love which is pure?

Blog Entries
    I'll tell you, one- between a parent and a child- usually. A dog and an owner. A respectful loving relationship, best friends, God and the worshiper.

Unconditional love does exist, people can testify to this idea everyday universally.
    Last edited by Buh4Bee; 08-13-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Banned
    Name one love which is pure?
    Jersea did it for me

Quote Originally Posted by jersea View Post
    I'll tell you, one between a parent and a child- usually. A dog and an owner. A respectful loving relationship, best friends, God and the worshiper.

Unconditional love does exist, people can testify to this idea everyday universally.
    You have just described a series of power relationships. I see nothing unconditional about any of them. As I said, Love is never pure.

Banned
    You have just described a series of power relationships. I see nothing unconditional about any of them. As I said, Love is never pure.
    Most likely you don't see why they are unconditional because you have not experienced them, when one experiences unconditional love one knows it.

Blog Entries
    I thought the question was, Does love exist? The answer is yes, it does. There are, however, many kinds of love. They all require their own definitions though. If you are thinking specifically of the chemical imbalance and hormonal firestorm which is romantic love, then this too exisits. It just doesn't last. It doesn't even have to be mutual. Just because a power relationship is what it is, it doesn't mean it can't incorporate someone's definition of love. If someone gets off on dominating a relationship, and someone else gets off on being subordinate, or dependent, if it works and they want to call it love, that's up to them. What you see it as is ultimately irrelevent.

Love exists. I don't think there's anything mysterious about it: it's a useful trait to perserve our species. I'm not just talking about passing on the genes to another generation, as some biological interpretations narrowly define it. Love is also what drives parents to raise and protect their children; it's what leads people to organise themselves in communities; it's what allows people to cooperate and to find solutions together for problems, to defend themselves against enemies, and to overcome hardships. Love is present in all stages of our life, disguised under many masks.

The modern cynicism that doubts the existence of love can't really explain how come we're all here discussing love if it doesn't exist. Without love, our species would be extinct a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    Most likely you don't see why they are unconditional because you have not experienced them, when one experiences unconditional love one knows it.
    Love is never pure. Love is blind. Love is a prickled herring if you want it to be.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    I don't believe love exists in any form. Not the idealised Love we read about and hear about.
    I believe that if you spend enough time with a person are connected to a person enough, like them share experiences etc with theme eventually you both change and that person become apart of who you are. You identify yourself to an extent with how you relate to them. You Love your family because your family is part of you, and you love yourself.

Then again I may just be describing love and not know it. But all these flowers and sunsets mushy business? Sorry I can't believe that.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    Wilson- I'm not sure if you are talking about romantic love or familial love. I think that may help clarify what you are talking about in terms of pure love. I think many people have tried to describe the difference between romantic love and other forms of love. I received unconditional love from my grandfather, but my parents were unable to provide that kind of support role. I am married and have an attachment with both my husband and child. So I can say that for me the unconditional attachment was necessary when I had nothing else to anchor me. I trusted that he would always be there for me, because he always was. I think that searching for the ideal love and finding it is a very rare and difficult thing. I know a married couple that might fit this category you describe. He waited for her for six years and they were virgins. So I believe in unconditional love in a romantic relationship, but I think it happens more often between a parent and child- given the "power" dynamics.

Wilson- I'm not sure if you are talking about romantic love or familial love. I think that may help clarify what you are talking about in terms of pure love. I think many people have tried to describe the difference between romantic love and other forms of love. I received unconditional love from my grandfather, but my parents were unable to provide that kind of support role. I am married and have an attachment with both my husband and child. So I can say that for me the unconditional attachment was necessary when I had nothing else to anchor me. I trusted that he would always be there for me, because he always was. I think that searching for the ideal love and finding it is a very rare and difficult thing. I know a married couple that might fit this category you describe. He waited for her for six years and they were virgins. So I believe in unconditional love in a romantic relationship, but I think it happens more often between a parent and child- given the "power" dynamics.

All forms of love are essentially struggles for love.

To deny that love exists would be foolish. To deny the truth about love would be pathetic.

Blog Entries
    What truth are you implying?

What truth are you implying?
    I have a problem with the reduction of love to mere chemistry. Human beings are complex, they are capable of great love and great hate