Thread: Children's Literature

Question Children's Literature

I watched the last Harry Potter movie a few hours ago and, for someone who's always disliked the movie series (I've never read the books), I was pleasantly surprised by it. More importantly, it made me realise that I haven't read a good children's book in a long time. The last time was in 2010, I think, when I read E. Nesbit's The Phoenix and the Carpet, which reminds me that I have urgently to read the trilogy's last volume, The Story of the Amulet.

One of the good things about J.K. Rowling is that people are so desperate to discredit her as a writer that they'll throw lots of names of writers they think are better. Thanks to this I came across the name of one Diana Wynne Jones, whose novels have piqued my interest, particularly Howl's Moving Castle and Castle In The Air.

I'm also curious about Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth.

What other books can you recommend me in this vein, which mix adventure with fantasy and, I presume, a good dose of humor?

Blog Entries
    I really like the Percy Jackson and The Olympians series by Rick Riordan, the books take Greek Mythology and places it into a modern setting and there is both a lot of adventure and a good deal of humor in the books.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Smile

have you ever tried "the mumins".. they are great.. and have a nice philosophy to them.. it's understanding the world and the family through the stories of these small finish trolls...
    or if you like strong women and a different view on fary tails there's Patricia Wrede's "the enchanted forest chronicles" (can't tell you anything about her other books... )
    and then there are still the classics just in case you're not already through with them... I mean alice adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass
    mary poppins.... and so on (but I guess you are already through with them..)
    Friends help you move. Good friends help you move bodies.

Blog Entries
    Speaking of the classics, Wizard of Oz if also a great book for fantasy and adventrure.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series is excellent, and I have seen hints online that Hollywood is nosing around it for a possible film series.

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Lamp View Post
    Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series is excellent
    Word. You also can't go wrong with Lloyd Alexander. He's best known for his amazing Welsh-based Prydain series, but he's also written a lot of fantasy with Middle-Eastern and Eastern settings. Lots of adventure and good humor throughout, and just as enjoyable for adults as kids.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    "I'm also curious about Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth."

Wow I had completely forgotten about that book until you mentioned it; but yes definitely read it, I remember I had found it amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    "I'm also curious about Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth."

Wow I had completely forgotten about that book until you mentioned it; but yes definitely read it, I remember I had found it amazing!
    I did also. Skip the movie, though. You'd think that book and Chuck Jones would be a match made in Heaven, but you'd be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
    have you ever tried "the mumins".. they are great.. and have a nice philosophy to them.. it's understanding the world and the family through the stories of these small finish trolls...
    Oh yes, the wondrous Moomins! I read Comet In Moominland a few years ago and swore to return to the company of these cute and heartwarming creatures one day.

What are they?

The Moomins are the cutest creatures ever created!

I just want to hug one of them tightly and run away with them into a forest to have adventures!