Thread: Theme Development

nathane

2tw

a passage he writes about earlier regarding the near genocide of the indigenous population of tasmania poses thought

The Steve

Theme Development

This is one of the greatest books I have ever read. I had to read it for my grade 11 book report and I could not put it down. The only thing that I am having trouble with is the theme and the theme development. I think that I have the basic theme of "The main theme of the book The War of the Worlds is the human response to and how we can cope with disasters. In this story, the disaster is the invasion of Earth by Martians. The disaster is used to show how different people react to disasters. One person might question their faith, while another might question their abilities and someone else might question their beliefs.", but I could really use some advice on wheather I am right or wrong and how this theme is developed. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am not great at finding things like this I just like to read books, not comment on them.

I'd say that what you've picked up on is somewhat secondary to the points and themes that Wells was working towards in this book. The human characters are not the point, they are the context. Reread it or think back over it, think about the martians, the way they act and what happens to them. Then think about how that relates to current events, and to events which were current when Wells was writing.

Historical context is always important in understanding what writers are trying to say. His message was for english people at the turn of the last century who were decrying the decline of the British Empire and were firm in their beleif that their country was superior to the rest of the world and that it was natural that the world should be subjugated to British rule, especially those whom they considered to be inferior races.