Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Nudity

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    I’d like to see private nudity outlawed. Most accidents happen in the home. Therefore, I think people should be required to wear motorcycle helmets in the shower, and we should install video cameras in all bathrooms to assure compliance.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    For.
    For any number of reasons.
    I'm from Guelph, Ontario, and we are the home of a woman who fought for women to have the right to be topless in public (as well as men) and some friends and I celebrate this every year with a topless bike ride.
    Naked except for a cigarette, you let your mind drift and forget your disbelief. Feel the chill down your back and the flutter of wings through dandelion fields, and forget the pull of gravity in a night without stars.

I lack eloquence and commitment to my arguments. They are half baked, and I will begin passionately, and then abandon them.

Blog Entries
    Haha, I remember that (not the bike ride, the topless Guelph woman).

Against. Generally speaking people just look so much better with clothes on, besides sitting next to a naked person in a bus would just be gross.

At least here it's too cold for nudity for most of the year, thank God for the small mercies Though then again, some Finns seem to have a thing for nudity. For example when we won the Ice Hockey World Championship this year, some people celebrated by stripping their clothes and running around naked in the centre... and it wasn't a warm night! Then we have the sauna culture, of course, but that's different. Of course you are naked in a sauna, it's not really a "public" place in that sense, even if it is a public sauna.
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

I don't actually see the point of public nudity. Although I have to admit participating in a naked run might be fun.

Think of the hygienic factor, I'd be buying stock in those antibiacterial wipes. I don't want to come in contact with anyone else's *** sweat except my own.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Be careful you don't get what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    I don't actually see the point of public nudity. Although I have to admit participating in a naked run might be fun.

Think of the hygienic factor, I'd be buying stock in those antibiacterial wipes. I don't want to come in contact with anyone else's *** sweat except my own.
    Agreed.
    If I want to see cauliflower, I will go to the market. I don't want to see it in the form of cellulite of arses and backs of legs.

RE: The hygienic factor
    Imagine the oozing of lesions and carbuncles on public transit seats.
    Yes; I can think of some positives such as Barbara Eden, Raquel Welch, but I'm afraid that the negatives outweigh the positives.

My friends and I "streaked" one night when we were camping out in the backyard. We thought we were real hip running through a sleeping, tranquil neighborhood at 3:00 am.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

It's always useful to consider the downside in any proposition.
    Take a look at the videos to get the full picture.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...L87E8QP8isW_Aw
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 07-16-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

I concede my argument is lost.

Banned
    Oh Emil, ICK!!! I have to really refrain from using that little puke symbol.

I watched a movie the other night called Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus, starring Nicole Kidman. She was involved with nudist camps, and she had an affair with a man who looked like an animal, covered with fur or hair. I watched the movie twice and never could figure out what it was about exactly, except that she was drawn to this strange man, and I think he was imaginary. I don't know, there was something compelling about the movie, so I'll probably have to watch it a third time.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One thing that surprised me about Iceland was that the Icelanders don't have anywhere near as much of a taboo on nudity as the rest of Western Europe - odd, given their climate!

As soon as I arrived in Iceland, I went for a swim in the famous Blue Lagoon. Now, in that, obviously, you were required to wear swimming shorts - but in the changing rooms there were signs that enforced nudity in there: "All vistors MUST shower WITHOUT swimwear before entering the lagoon." These showers were very public, by the way - no barriers or curtains whatsoever.

You could tell who was Icelandic and who was not simply by how bashful they were. The Icelanders were striding around the room completely stark and without a second thought, while all the foreigners were much more furtive. I'll admit that while I was in the shower, my eyes were fixed firmly on the ceiling to avoid seeing anything, or even worse, see someone seeing me.

Public nudity is most definitely over-rated.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Banned
    Certainly, nudity in an intimate setting is far more compelling.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Nudity, generally good. I've never had many bad experiences nude, and many good experiences. I need to insert Semi-Public as another category. Deserted beach for example.

Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    Nudity, generally good. I've never had many bad experiences nude, and many good experiences. I need to insert Semi-Public as another category. Deserted beach for example.
    I agree that there may be instances when clothes may be removed in private. Many years ago, I was walking along a valley in the Ticino, the Italian part of Switzerland when I saw a small lake of clear water. The weather was hot and it looked so inviting I stripped off and went in, but that was in a sparsely populated area. I would never dream of doing so when other people, who might be offended, were in the offing.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Banned
    Yes, exactly, Tony and Emil. I couldn't sleep at all last night after Googling the Blue Lagoon. I like the idea of geothermal water in a cold climate, as opposed to what we have, warm air and cold water. I understand now that there's more in Iceland than the last attraction of eating a 1,500 year-old chunk of ice.

You certainly wouldn't want shorts in the Blue Lagoon. And then they shove a British guy into a shower right along with the Americans. It shows that any kind of legal system that people put in place, even in Iceland, becomes a disaster.

And I especially wouldn't like all those Icelanders and foreigners in the Blue Lagoon. One Viking would be more than enough.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Well, the one Viking in the lagoon. Hm. A Viking can be female, in which case -sure.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast