Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Does The Devil Punish Sinners?

Why Does The Devil Punish Sinners?

It seems to me that Satan is a conspirator of God, not an enemy.

Shouldn't the devil reward sinners so that they want to go to hell? It's the basic principle of incentive theory: if you want someone to behave in a certain way, provide an incentive for them to do so.

People already seem to prefer sinning since they need a reward (salvation) to do the opposite. So if the reward was equally good for sinning, then wouldn't everybody do it? At least in sins that don't seem to harm anyone ( e.g. raunchy sex, worshipping false idols, doing drugs [are drugs a sin?] etc.)

So it seems to me that the devil is actually God's prison warden. I see no proof that the devil tempts people to sin. Freaky sex feels good. Stealing makes you richer. Murder and lying usually have benefits. The tempations of sins are inherent. I've committed many sins and never have my actions come at the behest of some devil popping up and daring me. Most people who commit heinous crimes don't blame it on the devil. In fact, I've heard more people blame God than the devil.

Anyway, can anyone explain why the devil punishes sinners? If he wanted people to lie, cheat, steal, and have sex then why wouldn't he reward them for these actions? It makes no sense to deincentivize (made up word) an already tempting thing by implementing really scary punishments for it.

i would submit to you that maybe the Devil does not have the power to reward humans for their actions...?
    "The mind is its own place, and in itself
    Can make a Heavín of Hell, a Hell of Heavín"

Quote Originally Posted by dwdean View Post
    i would submit to you that maybe the Devil does not have the power to reward humans for their actions...?
    The Devil doesn't exist maybe, he may be maybe; if he is, he is a fool and botched everything.
    Last edited by G L Wilson; 07-12-2011 at 07:57 PM.

What does that mean? That he's physically incapable of doing something like the robots of Isaac Asimov? That he doesn't have the authority over his minions to tell them to stop sodomizing Hitler?

If so, then why is he considered evil? He has no choice but to do what he does. He is the equivalent of an assembly line robot making weapons of war; he's just doing what he was programmed to do and literally has no choice.

The real evil would be the creator of the machine. The user of the tool. In this case God. In this case the devil is a conspirator of God (in fact he's just a pawn).

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbob View Post
    What does that mean? That he's physically incapable of doing something like the robots of Isaac Asimov? That he doesn't have the authority over his minions to tell them to stop sodomizing Hitler?

If so, then why is he considered evil? He has no choice but to do what he does. He is the equivalent of an assembly line robot making weapons of war; he's just doing what he was programmed to do and literally has no choice.

The real evil would be the creator of the machine. The user of the tool. In this case God. In this case the devil is a conspirator of God (in fact he's just a pawn).
    God allows Satan to do things because he can't be bothered with the idiot.

G L Wilson, I don't really understand your religious/spiritual views. Are you a Christian or not?

Quote Originally Posted by thebagman View Post
    G L Wilson, I don't really understand your religious/spiritual views. Are you a Christian or not?
    I am an atheist who likes to have fun.

bagman, really, how necessary was that question?

what i meant by my previous post is that God rewards His people with things; heaven, salvation from Hell, fellowship with Himself. God can do this because He has the power to do so.
    does Satan have the power to reward his followers accordingly?
    i would say that if he did possess such power, why would he not so use it in a way benefitting his regime?
    "The mind is its own place, and in itself
    Can make a Heavín of Hell, a Hell of Heavín"

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbob View Post
    Shouldn't the devil reward sinners so that they want to go to hell? It's the basic principle of incentive theory: if you want someone to behave in a certain way, provide an incentive for them to do so.

People already seem to prefer sinning since they need a reward (salvation) to do the opposite. So if the reward was equally good for sinning, then wouldn't everybody do it? At least in sins that don't seem to harm anyone ( e.g. raunchy sex, worshipping false idols, doing drugs [are drugs a sin?] etc.)

So it seems to me that the devil is actually God's prison warden. I see no proof that the devil tempts people to sin. Freaky sex feels good. Stealing makes you richer. Murder and lying usually have benefits. The tempations of sins are inherent. I've committed many sins and never have my actions come at the behest of some devil popping up and daring me. Most people who commit heinous crimes don't blame it on the devil. In fact, I've heard more people blame God than the devil.

Anyway, can anyone explain why the devil punishes sinners? If he wanted people to lie, cheat, steal, and have sex then why wouldn't he reward them for these actions? It makes no sense to deincentivize (made up word) an already tempting thing by implementing really scary punishments for it.
    You are quite correct.

Unfortunately, the idea that Satan punishes sinners is a non-scripture based idea that has popularity in rare sects only, which makes it little more than straw.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

what i meant by my previous post is that God rewards His people with things; heaven, salvation from Hell, fellowship with Himself. God can do this because He has the power to do so.
    does Satan have the power to reward his followers accordingly?
    i would say that if he did possess such power, why would he not so use it in a way benefitting his regime?
    Because Satan is a cluster bomb, he goes off all over the place.

Blog Entries
    Pray, where does scripture ever say that the devil is in charge of "hell"? Rather it states that it is "prepared for the devil and his angels". (Matthew 25:41) The concept of the devil punishing sinners is but one of many ideas on "hell" that are derived from paganism, not from scripture.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. The Third View Post
    Pray, where does scripture ever say that the devil is in charge of "hell"? Rather it states that it is "prepared for the devil and his angels". (Matthew 25:41) The concept of the devil punishing sinners is but one of many ideas on "hell" that are derived from paganism, not from scripture.
    In the New Testament, the Devil comes into his own. Can you deny this?

it wasn't necessary i was just curious. im sorry if it sounded antagonistic.

it wasn't necessary i was just curious. im sorry if it sounded antagonistic.
    You didn't sound aggressive to me. I could see how you could be confused.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    L.M. The Third: Where in Pagan literature do you find a devil, demons, or any such beings punishing "sinners". Pagans were primarily polytheistic, believing in many gods, and really didn't distinguish between "God" and "Devil", rather saw all divine beings as having "free will". And the concept of sin in paganism? I'm not too clear about this one but I am pretty sure its a primarily judeo-christian concept.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast