Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Bookstore

Blog Entries
    I've been to Strand Books a couple of times years ago. If I ever get to NYC and walk up and down Broadway again, it is a place I would want to stop and see. It's a little far away at the moment. I'll have to settle for Myopic Books.

Not Strand. Not Borders. BooksAMillion

I was going to mention "O'Gara's" [O’Gara & Wilson Bookshop] in Chicago's Hyde Park, which though I haven't been to in a couple years I have an enduring fondness for, only to discover it's closed and relocated to Chesterton, Indiana! Not being a car-driver, this is sadness sadness sadness...

Quote Originally Posted by Eupalinos View Post
    I was going to mention "O'Gara's" [O’Gara & Wilson Bookshop] in Chicago's Hyde Park, which though I haven't been to in a couple years I have an enduring fondness for, only to discover it's closed and relocated to Chesterton, Indiana! Not being a car-driver, this is sadness sadness sadness...
    I haven't been there in a while either and had no idea they'd moved. If you have a bicycle (or don't mind longish walks), it's a bit over three miles from the Dune Park station on the South Shore train line.

YesNo, if you haven't yet gone to Myopic Books and would like to do a meet & greet, let me know when you're going. There's plenty of good food in that neighborhood.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    I haven't been there in a while either and had no idea they'd moved. If you have a bicycle (or don't mind longish walks), it's a bit over three miles from the Dune Park station on the South Shore train line.

YesNo, if you haven't yet gone to Myopic Books and would like to do a meet & greet, let me know when you're going. There's plenty of good food in that neighborhood.
    I was there (at O'Garas) after 1926, when books first became legal to publish online. Do you see my point or not?

The Loft Bookstore in Germantown, Columbus, Ohio

I went there once about 20 years ago and remember thinking it was a great bookstore and that I needed to come back when I had more time, but then I just don't find much reason to go to Columbus, Ohio all that often. Next time though...
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post

That sounds great, Calidore. I haven't been in that area in a while and it probably won't be until later October. I'll send you a PM when my schedule gets clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    The Loft Bookstore in Germantown, Columbus, Ohio

I went there once about 20 years ago and remember thinking it was a great bookstore and that I needed to come back when I had more time, but then I just don't find much reason to go to Columbus, Ohio all that often. Next time though...
    It might not even be there. Years ago I used to browse in an old established bookshop in Munich called Palm but some years later I tried to find it and it had become a car showroom.
    Nowadays it's possible to find out by computer whether a shop still remains in existence but it's sad when a bookshop that has been around for decades suddenly disappears.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

^ain't that the truth, Emil. The once-great bookstore in my town is now a Harbor Freight Tools, purveyor of cheap Chinese manufactured goods.

But in this particular case, the bookstore in Columbus is still there. I checked the Internet. Well, at least the web-site is still active:

www.bookloft.com
    Uhhhh...

I found another one today:

John K. King Used and Rare Books, Detroit, Michigan

It's yuge, it's creaky, it smells of old books, which is to say - it's freaking awesome!

Also the staff is knowledgeable and friendly.
    Uhhhh...

I live in Dallas, so it's Barnes and Noble and Half Price Books for us. I like them both, but Half Price Books is much more fun to shop at.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Years ago I would go to various small one-off book stores. For a few years I thought Borders was great. Too bad Borders went out of business. Where I am now the only book stores that I'd found yet is Barnes & Noble. Not too fond of Barnes & Noble because it doesn't seem right when I walk through their doors. When I casually browse their selection I find myself dis-interested and usually leave empty handed. Borders on the other hand I would nearly always leave with at least one book. When I lived in another state I would go to the mall book stores, those ones were fine. It seems like now if you really want a new or used book you got to go online. I prefer going to the book store but oh well, what can I do?

Shakespeare and Company in Paris is a tourist trap. The selection is quite pithy. Try any of the neighborhood bookshops throughout the city for a more authentic experience. Galignani in Rue de Rivoli has a much better selection of English-language books than Shakespeare and Company.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noface0711 View Post
    I live in Dallas, so it's Barnes and Noble and Half Price Books for us. I like them both, but Half Price Books is much more fun to shop at.
    There is a Half Price Books in the same mall where I do yoga. It is a nice place to stop and browse with its collection of used books as well as new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mande2013 View Post
    Shakespeare and Company in Paris is a tourist trap. The selection is quite pithy. Try any of the neighborhood bookshops throughout the city for a more authentic experience. Galignani in Rue de Rivoli has a much better selection of English-language I books than Shakespeare and Company.
    There used to be a branch of W H Smith, the well known English booksellers', in the Rue de Rivoli but I suspect that it is no longer there.
    I haven't bought any English writers in France but Paris has some excellent bookshops covering French literature; not a few examples of which decorate my bookshelves here in England.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast