Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Your Favorite Bookstore

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    There used to be a branch of W H Smith, the well known English booksellers', in the Rue de Rivoli but I suspect that it is no longer there.
    I haven't bought any English writers in France but Paris has some excellent bookshops covering French literature; not a few examples of which decorate my bookshelves here in England.
    W H Smith is most certainly still there.

Shakespeare and Company does appear to have an impressive collection of old and rare books, but if you just want to pop in and buy a random Faulkner or Balzac volume it's far from the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by mande2013 View Post
    W H Smith is most certainly still there.

Shakespeare and Company does appear to have an impressive collection of old and rare books, but if you just want to pop in and buy a random Faulkner or Balzac volume it's far from the best option.
    I mentioned W H Smith because a few years ago they had a major reorganisation and I thought that perhaps the lease on the Paris shop had been given up.
    I used to buy books from a very good shop in the Boulevard Montparnasse, which had a number of English writers in translation but, for books in English, the most extensive collection I have come across in a European location was in the Lion Bookshop in Rome.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    I've recently discovered a Book Barn between Coventry and Nuneaton which is stuffed full of second hand books. It's near a village and used to be a farm, but they converted the place to house books. It also has a very nice coffee shop where you can sit and sip and read. Excellent.

Near of my home there is city library.. I really got a much advantage of that library..and there is cool collection books in the library

My favorite is Powell's Bookstore on 57th Street near the University of Chicago.

Blog Entries
    Powell's is my favorite as well. I don't get down there as often as I used to, but the memories linger.

The Chicago Theological Seminary bookstore is also very good, but the books are all new. Its new location is better than the old location, but I loved the old location in the basement. I even built our own bookcases out of 1 by 8 boards in imitation of what was in that bookstore and put them in the basement.
    Last edited by YesNo; 04-05-2016 at 03:39 PM.

If I lived nearer to Portland I would certainly pay repeated visits to Powell's. I think it is the largest used bookstore in the U.S., maybe that was the world.

Blackwells, and Waterstones. My loves. And Barter Books in Alnwick, Northumberland.
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    The Blackwells in Charing Cross Road. London has closed and replaced by a branch in Holborn, which is a terrible disappointment: a cafe with a few bookshelves on the wall.

Oxford Blackwells will always be my favourite, though.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456