Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Philharmonia

Philharmonia

I have just returned from London after last night's Philharmonia performance at The Royal Festival Hall.

It really was fantastic and for £8 the seats we had in that venue were phenomenal value for money.

The playlist was Berlioz: Overture - Le carnivale romain; Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto #3 and Tchiakovsky - Symphony #6.

The pianist delighted us with Chopin's Nocturne #20 as an encore.

I'm back again at the end of September for a trio of Mozart and next February for another round of Rachmaninov (Piano concerto 2 and the Symphonic Dances.) Performed by the London Philharmonic with the great Estonian Jene Jarvi conducting.

I urge any of you to get down to the South bank centre as often as you can. Tickets from £8 you can't go wrong, considering what those cheap £8 tickets actually get you.

Last edited by Patrick_Bateman; 07-01-2011 at 12:27 PM.
    Latest Blog: An Impassioned and Immediate Response to Dan Hodges, Political Writer, Daily Telegraph.
    http://britishpharaoh.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Bateman View Post
    I have just returned from London after last night's Philharmonia performance at The Royal Festival Hall.

It really was fantastic and for £8 the seats we had in that venue were phenomenal value for money.

The playlist was Berlioz: Overture - Le carnivale romain; Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto #3 and Tchiakovsky - Symphony #6.

The pianist delighted us with Chopin's Nocturne #20 as an encore.

I'm back again at the end of September for a trio of Mozart and next February for another round of Rachmaninov (Piano concerto 2 and the Symphonic Dances.) Performed by the London Philharmonic with the great Estonian Jene Jarvi conducting.

I urge any of you to get down to the South bank centre as often as you can. Tickets from £8 you can't go wrong, considering what those cheap £8 tickets actually get you.

That is an intriguing picture of the RFH from behind the orchestra. I have never sat there despite having visited the hall many times. I much prefer it to the Barbican, because it is less utilitarian in design and more comfortable. Despite having seen some of the greatest artists perform there, I have never been completely comfortable with the acoustics, which can seem rather dry.
    Also, many years ago, I had cause to write to the management about the lack of air conditioning; things are a lot better now but I'm sure it's not on my account.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.