Thread: For whom the Bell Tolls

For whom the Bell Tolls

Ok, before anyone reads this, I will not tell you about my religious beliefs and I hope this doesn't turn into an argument. This was written after a dream I had, and I don't even know if I am posting this in the right spot..so here it goes.

For whom the Bell Tolls

I had what I thought was power, I had a knowledge of science and how humans became to be the way we are through evolution, not God. Believing in God was for little kids and desperate adults. I also had a power which was unlike any others, I could fly. The funny thing is that all the believers in God couldn't fly. I of course felt superior in both manners. Look at these poor souls putting their blind faith in a god which could not be seen, heard or proven, while I fly around knowing what the little people don't, Science. Yes, I was a superior being. Until one day, while I was out flying in the fields by myself away from all the towns people. An announcement came over the town's loud speaker. The small people's god had announced that there would be a random, large and destructive explosion at some interval between Gainsville and Evansville, and it would happen sometime within the next 30 minutes. What the hell, I thought. What is this, a joke? It's got to be. But one thing did alarm me, in my hours of mindless flying around the fields I hadn't seen anybody. So I flew to the river, thinking there mite be people out there fishing or swimming. There were people out there, but they weren't doing either, they were running. They were running faster than I could even fly. They looked like a heard of scared buffalo, in a muted trance, eyes in a fixed gaze, running in massive flocks towards something, something I couldn't figure out. I tried to shout at them, and wave them down, but they couldn't hear me, they were far gone anyway leaving a dust cloud like I had never seen by any humans. I started to panic, but then I had an idea! I know they can't out run a cell phone call, so I landed on the banks of the river and pulled my phone out of my pocket. I first dialed my fathers number to see what the hell was going on. It rang and then I heard his familiar ring tone close to me, as if he were right there. But he wasn't, I looked into the grass where I heard the phone and there it was. I picked up the ringing phone and looked at it in shock. It was like someone had purposely set it there knowing I would be in that exact spot. Panicked, I dialed my mom's phone number, and just a few yards away I heard her phone ringing too. What the hell is going on? I couldn't get a hold of anybody and I was slowly starting to think something strange was going on. Also if this “bomb” thing was real I was running out of time. So I took to the sky speeding all around town looking for anything, anyone to tell me what was happening. My eyes widened and heart sank as I discovered there wasn't a single soul in town. It had already been ten minutes since the announcement over the loud speakers and I was slowly starting to realize that I was alone now. There was something everyone knew that I didn't, but I just couldn't figure it out. Then out of nowhere came another announcement over the speakers.
    “For when the bomb finds your flesh, fire will consume you entirely, the fire will be forever and then you will know that you have found hell my son. For not even the mercy of death will touch your soul.”
    What the ****! Alright, now i'm really ****ting my pants, my heart is beating out of my chest. That message seemed like it was directed strait to me and to me only. No one else was here and I obviously had missed some train somewhere. ****! This can't be happening, there is no God. What the hell happened to my knowledge of science?? Ha...where was that **** now?!?! That **** doesn't happen in science. I had only one chance left and that was to run, run from the blast that would sear my flesh. I knew that if the bomb was going to hit somewhere in between Gainsville and Evansville I should go south of Gainsville to avoid the blast. I knew where I was going, I was going to fly as fast as I could to Markleville and hide in the mountains somewhere. As I sped to the mountains something started to click in my head, stuff started making sense. Why was I, the only one in town who didn't believe in God the only one who had missed the herd? Why was I, the one who thought he was all knowing now being left in the unknown? As I realized the obvious truth I felt like I wanted to puke, and for once in my life I was left incredibly humbled and scared. All these things couldn't be happening for no reason, this was all happening for one reason and one reason alone. It was happening because of me. The bell had tolled for me. The bomb wasn't going to be a random explosion, it would be sent from God right into my chest. I hung my head as I made my way into the mountains in search of safety. I spotted a dark cave that looked like it mite be able to take a blast. But I knew now that it wouldn't matter, the laws of physics didn't apply to a bomb that takes you to hell sent by God himself. I curled up in the cave anyway. The cave was dark and cold, and I knew it was a matter of mere moments until my body would be torn to pieces and I was cast into hell to burn forever. Mere moments until I would never see any of my family or ever experience life again. And when I was lower than low, sadder than sad, more alone than I had ever been, I felt my heart warm with happiness and a soothing voice reach me.
    “Nicholas you are my son and you will always be in my flock. I am almighty God your merciful protector and for this reason you will not enter hell. You have been misguided, but now you know the truth. Go to your wife and love her, go to your children and teach them the way I have just taught you. Live your last years in my grace and I will forever hold you safe. Go now son.”

Blog Entries
    if this is creative writing then I suggest you put it in the short story section or general writing section.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Yes it is "creative writing". Ill look for the proper place to put it, thanks!