Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Was John Lennon a genius?

Was John Lennon a genius?

Didn't think this was serious enough for serious chat.

I think he was. Only recently I noticed this, damn I'm dumb.

Who shot him? And can I kill the shooter?

Blog Entries
    what do you think he was a genius in? Wasn't he just a famous singer/songwriter who indulged in the regulation practices of an international rockstar?
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    John Lennon wrote songs which are known world-wide and people remember the words

My schoolteachers couldn't accomplish this, so therefore he's a genius. (They were genius in other ways - I mean look how I turned out!)

Blog Entries
    Does that therefore mean all internally recorded artists whose lyrics can be recited are genius?

Kylie Minogue?
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That depends upon how we define "genius". John Lennon, especially in tandem with Paul McCartney wrote some songs that are unquestionably brilliant: My Life, Norwegian Wood, Girl, etc... Some of these songs almost certainly shall last as "classics". A good many of his performances with the Beatles are equally "classic" and have the added merit of being essential influences upon the development of popular music.

Will Lennon rank with Beethoven and Mozart after the passage of 200 years? Probably not... but then again his efforts probably won't be completely forgotten either. If only the biggest of giants, Bach, Beethove, and Mozart are counted as "geniuses"... then Lennon is probably out of the running. If we also count those lesser artists who still had something of real merit and something which lasts (Massenet, Johann Strauss, Offenbach, Johann Hasse as "geniuses"... well then Lennon counts as well.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kylie Minogue is a sort of genius - she worked out how to maximise her potential and convert it into millions of dollars, the sort of dollars that buy you your own island(s) when you want to disappear for awhile and not be hassled. Genius!

Blog Entries
    I love Lennon and the Beatles in general, I think his/their music in general is great and the lyrics beautiful. 'Norwegian wood' is one of my favorite and 'In my life' is great. I think he will be remembered for a long time. but I also think we tend to idolize artists who die young, he was never bad. Most artists make a few good albums and a few not so good and it depends in what order they come if we remember them or like them, but I don't think Minogue can be compared to Lennon I think more people can sing 'Imagine' than any song by her.

Stars like Marilyn Monroe,James Dean, Jeff Buckley and John Lennon live on because they had fast paced amazing lives and died on the top.

at least I think so
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Don't be fussy. It was just a question.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, he was.

Blog Entries
    I guess death, violent wreckless death can boost one's reputation.....we'll never know what type of old geezers they would have grown into and so the legend is born!

Go on then let's listen to a few, In My Life:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI0Q8ytD44Y

Here Comes the Sun:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6tV1...eature=related

And probably my favourite one, Across the Universe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj-4t...eature=related

Blog Entries
    please and compare it with such other genius as I Should Be So Lucky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnOvjWXhpkI

Kylie Minogue wants a good kicking. Dreadful woman. I'm not even opening that link, no chance...

Blog Entries
    lol. C'mon....you can do it!

I'm more reluctant than St Luke to compare Lenon and The Beatles to the greats of classical music (Beethoven, Mozart, Bach) or even the lesser notables (Offenbach and company). It's such different styles of music that I'm not convinced one can honestly compare that two and offer an accurate assessment.

Rock 'n' Roll has its own greats. I think it's unfair and not really accurate to claim the greatest rock bands produced artists who at best were as talented as the secondary figures of classical music. Never mind, where secondary rock artists who some of us would suggest are still talented and produced good music in their own right would fall on such a spectrum.
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast