Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: What The-!?

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What The-!?

Authorities used satellite images to nab a Queensland couple who illegally cleared land that was home to threatened and endangered species.

Finlay and Valerie Cocks have copped a record $112,000 fine for clearing the equivalent of 475 rugby fields in central Queensland.

The 320 hectares of remnant native vegetation had been habitat for seven vulnerable species including the bridle nail-tailed wallaby, the black-chinned honeyeater and the large-eared pied bat.

The clearing work occurred at Dingo, west of Rockhampton, in 2005 and 2006. Environmental officers discovered the offence by studying satellite images.

Environment Minister Kate Jones said the case showed anyone who flouted the state's tree clearing laws could expect to a pay hefty fine.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...-clearing-fine

Is it just me - or is 112 000 bucks seem like a slap on the wrist for what amounts to a major act of environmental terrorism?

How did they arrive at the 'hefty' sum - was it based on the 2 cents per tree the logging industry pays for the privilege of its destruction? Probably.

Probably also annoyed that the embarrassing naughtiness was uncovered - Queensland loves its farmers, and even elects them to parliament.

Interesting it took satellite imaging to uncover the damage - I strongly doubt that it was intentionally looking for it, just searching for a place to erect a new mall - and the fine? Well, that'll buy a few drinks for everyone, won't it?

MystyrMystyry.
    I took your post as being very offensive and disrespectful to the people you have had a comment on. Clearly your another uninformed, over opinionated gutless keyboard warrior that feels the need to take to a blog site to voice your opinion.
    Do i have your attention yet.? People like you make me sick to my stomach, what is ur occupation a pen pusher? University graduate in a degree you dont even know why you did?
    How about you leave the working people of this country alone that put food on your table, we get kicked and trod on enough without ur comments.
    People like you are so quick to have and opinion on something you see on the news and think nobody will see them.
    The people who were fined are my parents and that is our family farm. Do you think the people who have lived on properties for generations are stupid and have no clue as to what they are doing with their land, Which was purchased as freehold land with conditions of nill on our deeds. My grandfathers who are all farmers pioneered this country and worked their guts out to get what they have. Far from the pampered life you would have recieved. Our farming forefathers fought in both wars to protect this beautiful country and would role in their graves to see what has become of Australia and its people now.
    But thats right you dont consider a farmer to be a person of any value or come close to your superiority, as your comment "
    Queensland loves its farmers, and even elects them to parliament."
    Like we are some lower class race that is not good enough for palamentry roles? Who are you to say this?
    You say my parents are environmental terrorist? We have spent generations on properties and you talk like we are a bunch of animal killing rednecks that doesn't care for the environment around us. Ill take you back to a time when my parents first arrived on our property. We had one permanent water hole on the place. I Have grown up watching my parents go without, living in a shed and suffering the worst of droughts, and every cent they earned went back into our property, inproving the land and making as many dams as they could for more water. As they made dams it put permanent water in areas that never had water.( Hold onto your chair theirs facts coming that you would have been to arrogant to even think off) the spread of permanent water made the native animals on our land spread and inhabit contry they never could before thus allowing the growth of our native animals that could strive and increase in numbers like never before. And we are environmental terrorist? Tell me this, if we and every farmer fenced everyone of our water supplies that we have created so that only our cattle could benefit from would we then be evironmental terrorist not allowing all of our native animals drink from our waters that our "naughtiness created".
    I don't know what you do but $112,000 a slap on a wrist. This fine nearly saw the death of my parents and the loss of a family farm. Which wouldn't worry people like you because meat probably will taste better when it comes from china. We spent our hole lives going without. our life savings are gone and any hope of a house for my parents to enjoy in their retirement. No wait 112,000 is just a few drinks for people like you.
    Finally the money we struggled to make to pay this fine what did our money do for nature if we ruined the environment i would think the fined money would go to projects to revegitate or fix this land but no nothing returned to the environment. So where did our money go to? State revenue? Funding pen pushing jobs? Oh thats right drinks for eveyone you pathetic excuse of an Australian.
    No body needs your comments because the people they affect eventually see them.
    I hope you take the time out of your day to read and see a bit of truth instead of the lies you are told. And yes they did intentionally find our clearing as they are constantly onto every move we make to break the backs of the working, food providing people of this nation

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    475 rugby fields

Did you grow all those trees yourself?

As for meat - I never touch it. If you've never tried something, you never miss it. But alas it sounds like you were indoctrinated young and now think cattle farming the only thing the land is good for. Maybe take up photography and document the beauty of the natural landscape. Might give you a better perspective on the most important things without destroying them.