Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Know thyself?

Know thyself?

God wouldn't know himself even if it paid him to do so.

The religio has a chronically unstable persona. What am I today? is the question that he or she asks every morning of himself or herself, and instead of answering the question himself or herself falls into the suicide of prayer. Thus, he or she wastes another day as a zombie. In this state, he or she is only fit to frighten children and political leaders. It is a sad day, indeed every day is sad that doesn't bring release from slavery.
    Last edited by G L Wilson; 05-28-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Know thyself? I am sick of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by G L Wilson View Post

The religio has a chronically unstable persona. What am I today? is the question that he or she asks every morning of himself or herself, and instead of answering the question himself or herself falls into the suicide of prayer. Thus, he or she wastes another day as a zombie. In this state, he or she is only fit to frighten children and political leaders. It is a sad day, indeed every day is sad that doesn't bring release from slavery.
    Ah, pseudo-psychology. Gotta love it!
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by Drkshadow03 View Post
    Ah, pseudo-psychology. Gotta love it!
    Psychology is not science.

I am not defending religion, but I've heard that repeating certain sentences of a prayer can put one into the state of mind-waves which can improve its abilities to work and make creative thoughts. Never tried it, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I am not defending religion, but I've heard that repeating certain sentences of a prayer can put one into the state of mind-waves which can improve its abilities to work and make creative thoughts. Never tried it, though.
    I've experimented with this technique and I think it does work, but I don't have any quantifiable evidence for it. But from a personal perspective, if it works, that's all I'm interested in.

The technique I'm referring to was described by Eknath Easwaran in "The Mantram Handbook". The mantra is that short portion of a prayer. It need be no longer than a divine name: Jesus, Rama, Allah, or some short phrase including that name.

It makes me wonder about the power of language.

"The fool foldeth his hands together, and eateth his own flesh." Ecclesiastes

Psychology is not science.
    Well, at least you're admitting nothing you said is remotely scientific. All sound and fury signifying nothing.

Although, you're wrong. Much psychology is science. It might not always be a rigorous science, but it's still a science.
    Last edited by Drkshadow03; 06-07-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

Didn't Shakespeare intend for "know thyself" to be taken ironically?

Quote Originally Posted by prickly_pete View Post
    Didn't Shakespeare intend for "know thyself" to be taken ironically?
    Is Hamlet comical? Aren't all fools?
    Last edited by G L Wilson; 06-09-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Know thyself? How can you know anything else?

I prefer Unknow thyself. Rid self of all that so-called knowing. ~ Here's a (probably pointless) question: there is knowledge, but is there knowing?

Quote Originally Posted by Panglossian View Post
    I prefer Unknow thyself. Rid self of all that so-called knowing. ~ Here's a (probably pointless) question: there is knowledge, but is there knowing?
    Technically, no, there are no certain knowns.

Technically, no, there are no certain knowns.
    "I think therefore I am." Is that a known?

Quote Originally Posted by lieasleep View Post
    "I think therefore I am." Is that a known?
    No, it is not a known and in fact it is very much disputed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast