Thread: Marxism in D.H Lawerence, Women In Love extract. Any thoughts?

Marxism in D.H Lawerence, Women In Love extract. Any thoughts?

Hello.

This is one of my first posts in forums at all, let alone this particular one, so go easy(ish) on me.

I have a university assignment that requires me to chose two extracts from a set provided for us and analyse it using appropriate theoretical perspective. We have only been given a few common ones: feminism, Marxism, psychoanalytic and formalist seem to be the key players. There's an extract from Lawerence's Women In Love and I'm pretty sure they've set it up for a Marxist reading. The extract is below I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the best way to go about it? There is loads of Marxist literary criticism out there and I would like a bit of guidance on where to start, would really appreciate it.

Gradually Gerald got hold of everything. And then began the great reform. Expert engineers were introduced in every department. An enormous electric plant was installed, both for lighting and for haulage underground, and for power. The electricity was carried into every mine. New machinery was brought from America, such as the miners had never seen before, great iron men, as the cutting machines were called, and unusual appliances. The working of the pits was thoroughly changed, all the control was taken out of the hands of the miners, the butty system was abolished. Everything was run on the most accurate and delicate scientific method, educated and expert men were in control everywhere, the miners were reduced to mere mechanical instruments. They had to work hard, much harder than before, the work was terrible and heart-breaking in its mechanicalness.
    But they submitted to it all. The joy went out of their lives, the hope seemed to perish as they became more and more mechanised. And yet they accepted the new conditions. They even got a further satisfaction out of them. At first they hated Gerald Crich, they swore to do something to him, to murder him. But as time went on, they accepted everything with some fatal satisfaction. Gerald was their high priest, he represented the religion they really felt. His father was forgotten already. There was a new world, a new order, strict, terrible, inhuman, but satisfying in its very destructiveness. The men were satisfied to belong to the great and wonderful machine, even whilst it destroyed them. It was what they wanted. It was the highest that man had produced, the most wonderful and superhuman. They were exalted by belonging to this great and superhuman system which was beyond feeling or reason, something really godlike. Their hearts died within them, but their souls were satisfied. It was what they wanted. Otherwise Gerald could never have done what he did. He was just ahead of them in giving them what they wanted, this participation in a great and perfect system that subjected life to pure mathematical principles. This was a sort of freedom, the sort they really wanted. It was the first great step in undoing, the first great phase of chaos, the substitution of the mechanical principle for the organic, the destruction of the organic purpose, the organic unity, and the subordination of every organic unit to the great mechanical purpose. It was pure organic disintegration and pure mechanical organisation. This is the first and finest state of chaos.

Thanks in advance.

Is this a stupid question?

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Dear AK

I'd opt for the psychoanalytic option if I were you. All that Marxist stuff is so boring unless you get your jolly's from historical economic thinking.

Gerald Crich is on a power kick. He does not give a fish's tit for profit, its all about control. Remember the earlier instance of controlling the horse at the rail crossing point? Then there is: his contradiction of a father, his wierd mother, an ex-nanny who used to pinch his bottom and an attitude to women that would be adverse to any blind date!

Tony Soprano's shrink would have had a field day with that lot, and so should you as a writer.

I feel sorry for you that in university they give such assignments.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit flippent.

Best regards.
    M.