Thread: ABC1(8 and 15 May, 8:35 to 10:00 p.m.)

Blog Entries

ABC1(8 and 15 May, 8:35 to 10:00 p.m.)

The following is a revision of some thoughts on Herman Melville after watching Moby Dick on ABC1(8 and 15 May, 8:35 to 10:00 p.m.). Kerry Saunders, a Peabody Journalism Award winner, was interviewed by Alan Saunders back on 30 June 2007 and he stated in that interview that Moby Dick(1851) was a metaphor for the American ship of state which was driving toward destruction, the destruction seen a decade later in the Civil War(1861-1865). The book was also a metaphor for the emptiness of reality part of what came to be called existentialist philosophy, a philosophy that was emerging and would emerge with Nietzsche (1844-1900) and Kierkegaard(1813-1855).-Ron Price, 15 May 2011.

THE HEALING ROAD

I first came across the ideas of sociologist Emile Durkheim while studying sociology at university from 1963 to 1967. Many of his ideas I have always thought were relevant to a Baha'i perspective. One thing he wrote certainly reflects my experience of intellectual, artistic and literary pursuits, what 'Abdu'l-Baha called "learning and the cultural attainments of the mind." Just as Baha'i administration was taking its first form under the guidance of Shoghi Effendi in the 1920s, Durkheim wrote that "the love of art, the predilection for artistic joys, is accompanied by a certain aptitude for getting outside ourselves, a certain detachment or disinterestedness….We lose sight of our surroundings, our ordinary cares, our immediate interests. Indeed, this is the essence of the healing power of art. Art consoles us because it turns us away from ourselves."

After forty years of pioneering
    I find here my peace and supper
    as if after a very long day's work.
    Yes, Herman, this is its own reward.
    Just a simple artistry in these poems,
    part of my search for the right idiom
    and the best ways of meet life's lot.
    I do not feel like Frost, and stricken,
    intensely conscious, suspicious of my
    struggle. A healing came, to me, at last,
    Herman, at long last………….

And all that gloom, and obsession,
    temper, rage, depression softened
    with the years and at last an easy
    sleep without the pain—dulled it
    was, life's sharp-ragged edges…../

And my style could lighten and
    take an easier road without that
    heat and load; it could brighten.

Ron Price
    22 September 2002
    ---------------------------------
    ONE HAD TINTED CRIMSON

In the year after the Bab was martyred Herman Melville published Moby Dick. Some have regarded this book as the greatest work in American fiction. Melville began writing this book in the late 1840s, perhaps 1849 at the earliest. He said he loved all men who dived. Any fish could swim near the surface, but it took a great whale to go down five miles. Melville also thought that comfortable beliefs needed to be discarded. He could not himself believe and he was uncomfortable in his disbelief.-Ron Price, a summary of an essay and an encyclopaedia article on Melville.

Melville must be henceforth numbered in the company of the incorrigibles who occasionally tantalize us with indications of genius.....Melville has succeeded in investing objects.....with an absorbing fascination...Moby Dick is not a mere tale of adventure, but a whole philosophy of life, that it unfolds.---Henry F. Chorley, in London Athenaeum, 25 October 1851; and London John Bull, 25 October 1851.

My Revelation is indeed far more bewildering than that of Muhammad....how strange that a person brought up among the people of Persia should be empowered by God....and be enabled to spontaneously reveal verses far more rapidly than anyone….-The Bab in Selections from the Writings of the Bab, Haifa, 1976, p.139.

They both went down deep
    into the ocean of mystery,
    some mystic intercourse
    had possessed them with
    subtle-penetrating grandeurs,
    intensities, strangenesses,
    absorbing fascination,
    profound reflections,
    a whole way of life in
    their words, a certain
    eccentricity of style,
    an object of ridicule,
    a kind of old extravagance,
    bewildering, and that very
    transcendental tendency of
    the age, that 19th century age.

But One had musk-scented breaths...
    written beyond the impenetrable
    veil of concealment...oceans of divine
    elixir, tinted crimson with the essence
    of existence…..Arks of ruby, tender....
    wherein none shall sail but…..………
    the people of Baha...1

Ron Price
    18 February 1999

1 The Bab, Selections from the Writings of the Bab, Haifa, 1976, pp.57-8.
    Last edited by Ron Price; 05-15-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: to add some words
    Ron Price is a Canadian who has been living in Australia for 42 years(in 2013). He is married to a Tasmanian and has been for 37 years after 8 years in a first marriage. At the age of 69 he now spends most of his time as an author and writer, poet and publisher. editor and researcher, online blogger, essayist, journalist and engaging in independent scholarship. He has been associated with the Baha'i Faith for 60 years and a member for 53 years.cool: