Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jo and laurie

kaye and carm

jo and laurie

why is everyone so worried about jo and laurie fighting if they get married? lots of couples fight! they have a solid friendship that would be marital bliss in such sexist times. did you know that one of the reasons that louisa may alcott made jo end up with the professor was because she never felt the close fatherly affection from her own dad? that why jo ended up with such a father figure. screw the whole "daughters choosing men who are like their fathers" go for the hot red blooded male!<br>ps: we hate bronson alcott

To start off with I thought laurie and Jo should have been together but futher on in the books series: little men, good wives, Jos boys I realized that to spoil that unbreakable friendship wouldn't have been fair on all parties involved. Seeing the love that Mr Bhaer has for Jo ohhh it's just so sweet

It just bothered me so much that they didn't end up together..... granted, when you read little men you understand better the whole thing.... but no.... Jo and LAurie were meant to be together.... why didn't they? I will never understand
    My apologies for any errors in language.... I am not an ignorant, it's just that english is my second language....

It seemed to me while reading that they would get married later on in the book, but Jo knew it wasn't to be. Besides, Mr.Bhaer and Jo were made for each other. And Laurie is so happy with Amy.
    When ideas fail, words come in very handy.

Count to 10,000 and down to -10,000!

I never liked Amy....
    My apologies for any errors in language.... I am not an ignorant, it's just that english is my second language....

me, too. Amy is so... i don't know what to say... I just Don't like her.

Unhappy aw i was heart broken

to me amy was a spoilt little girl. she didnt deserve laurie!! jo and laurie were so perfect. i cant stand that proffessor i watched the movie and spent the rest of the weekend crying that laurie and jo lost out. it was almost heartbreaking but i am overemotional!!!!!!!!!
    shame.... and yes laurie is gorgeous...

this story is quite spiritual and yet you all seem to view it as just another soap opera... Just because he is cute doesn't mean Jo should have married laurie. He was her friend and fellow prankster and yes you do assume they will marry but they don't and that's what makes it a good story. Jo needs an intellectual match, someone who challenges her thoughts, next time you read the book think of Gabriel Byrne he is handsome and plays the role in the movie, and is a much better vision than the one in the book.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
    --Anais Nin

I think Jo and Laurie were perfect together and while the professor may have been what Jo needed at the time (to teach her, to guide her and all that jazz), to me he didn't represent love. Laurie was passionate, yes even too much at times, but he was young... and I feel like Amy's so wrong for him.

I still feel that Laurie was right for Jo in every aspect..... the professor.... I don't know.... he was fine but he was too much of a father figure from my point of view....

I also think that jo and laurie must be to-gether but.........

Jo hadn't done right by refusing Laurie on the context that they have similiar behaviour and will end up fighting all day inspite of Lauries's saying"You can mould me as you want to,Jo"

Laurie always liked Jo.Whatever she says or whatever she does.I don't know what louisa had thought while doing this.

Secondly,Amy,she was the most idiotic character in the novel.She refused to come back when beth,her loving sister was dying and was busy in her affair with laurie.Means it's totally rubbish!!!!

I think Louisa wants Professor type husband for herself in real life that's why she had done that as in her real life she didn't married anyone.But she had created a great deal of emotional controversy.I really felt so emotionally depressed after reading till i didn't started another one.

I agree..... Laurie was so understanding with Jo.... I don't believe in the whole opposites atract thing.... yes they opposites are attracted to each other but after a while it only causes trouble.... Talking from personal experience it is not too bad to fall for someone just like you....
    Anyway I also liked the professor, he was fine, but why did Laurie had to end up with Amy! That's what really bothered me.

I never saw it from the perspective that you pointed out, booksbuddy, I thought it was interesting

One more thing i had felt in laurie and Amy's relationship that they were praising eachother so artificially and upon the things that really don't deserve a praise.Means their relationship seems like artificial.

Secondly,Louisa hadn't mentioned details of Amy and laurie,their love came sudden in the novel as both were not having any such previous feeling for each other.Louisa had made haste in completing last scenes of novel especially,amy and laurie's sudden love story.

But,inspite of all this,it was really a good novel to read.

I was never bothered by the fact that Jo and Laurie don't end up together. For me that was never the point of the book, I never thought that they were going to be together. Laurie and Amy suit far better, and I don't think that it's true that they don't have any feelings for each other until they get engaged, it's just that the whole Laurie loving Jo thing is built up much more, and the whole point of Laurie loving Amy is that it is sudden - he suddenly realises it, so it makes sense that it's not built up that much, and I think that makes it all the more beautiful. The bit where he proposes on the lake always brings a tear to my eye. I also think that Jo ends up being happy with the professor in a way that she would never have been happy with Laurie. Basically, I just love the way the story pans out, and out of all the characters, I have to say it's Meg, not Amy, that's my least favourite. She always seems so one dimensional... but that's just me.

I think Professor Bhaer was the perfect person for Jo, he could balance out her qualities, but Laurie could not, this was the reason she turned him down, and he (Laurie), like Jo, had a quick temper. To Kaye and Carm on the "lots of couples fight!" comment: It is one thing for a pair to quarrel every now and again, but when they both have tempers it is easy for one person to provoke the other, this would have meant that arguing would have been frequent. And, as a result, they (Jo and Laurie) would have been unhappy in the end. If they did marry it would have eventually gone downhill.
    "We'll all grow up someday, we might as well know what we want."

Amy March - "Little Women" (1994)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast