Thread: Under Cover of Darkness

Blog Entries

Under Cover of Darkness

Welcome to the start of the world's most unpublishable novel

Under Cover of Darkness
    The Adventures of Sin Cargo

by
    Steven Hunley

The boy sat in the bed. It was where he usually sat. He was quite comfortable there and leaned over to pick up the book Treasure Island. Reading books was what he did best. He was nearly fifteen, sandy-haired, pale, and looked as normal as a boy could look who was a bleeder.
    His mother came in with his Famous Amos cookies and chocolate milk.

(Famous Amos will want a piece of my royalties after this one for sure)

She sat next to him, and placed her slender fingers against his forehead to check. There was nothing this time, no heat. She sighed a sigh of relief.
    “How you feeling, Squirt?”
    “Fine,” he answered. He didn’t like her using that name. Only his father had called him that.
    “Don’t call me Squirt,” he said, “he’s been gone two years now.”
    “All right,” she said sharply, “I won’t.”

(ooh, tension between mother and child so early in a dime novel!)

She pulled her hand away, got up and left. Just thinking of her husband had turned her sour. It turned the boy sour too. A sour sickboy and a lemony mother. What a pair of pucker-mouths they made.

(that was a clever line, maybe too clever)

“I shouldn’t have called him that,” she said to herself as she entered her bedroom and approached her computer.
    “What’s wrong with me?”
    She already knew the answer.

“I didn’t think. I never seem to think.”

She was wrong. In fact she thought too much. But she was good at not thinking, it’s true.
    Not thinking of her husband had become her specialty. Most memories she had of him weren’t good. She had other things to do than remember the savageness of his endless beatings, constant drunkenness seasoned with harsh words, and various and sundry crimes he’d committed upon her person measured out by the severity of his tortured soul. The dramatic bastard.

(I’m beginning to suspect this part is over-written)

The abuse had become too much and added up. The sum it had come to was too much for her to cipher. That’s why she threw him out and divorced his worthless ***. She had better things to do. She would look at some pretty pictures now, the ones on the computer screen and give herself a break if nothing else. She was tired of trying to make things right.

Some women can do better without men. But some women, after they’d had their first taste of a man, change in some subtle way, and feel they need one forever more. Good man or bad man it makes no difference. Although Cathy was certainly not the former, she was not the latter, but felt somewhere in the middle. Cathy hated being in the middle. Therefore her songs were not always of exaltation, but neither did she sing the blues. But you have to admit, singing the blues is sometimes better than not singing at all. Just ask Eric Clapton.

(now Eric is gonna get sore because I used his name, I just know it)

She scrolled down to her favorite website and began to search. Paintings of faraway places? No, that was yesterday. Today she felt artistic in a photographic sort of way. For her that wasn’t so hard, she knew a lot about art and had taken it in college. She took photographs too. Now she had a degree. Too bad the degree wouldn’t keep her warm. All the degrees in the world wouldn’t do that and she was reminded of it only too well by long winter nights when she slept alone. She was always sleeping alone and lonely or lonely alone as John Lennon once said.

Between photos and paintings she’d divided her time. In these she made her daily escape.

(This part is OK though, as John is quite dead. God bless him)

“Cathy you’ve got talent,” her photography teacher told her, “you should do something with it.”
    Her photography teacher. Always trite as Perdition.

(what the hell does Trite as Perdition mean? I dunno, but it’s more artistic than trite as hell)

She’d always been reticent with her words, but with images she became articulate, through images she could express herself with perfection.

She sat in her room scrolling through the photos of warm faraway places. In his room her son did the same with his brain and the pictures Stevenson painted in his mind. The house remained quiet except for the sound of an occasional raindrop hitting the window pane with a pitter or a patter, either one, and the sound of her fingers tapping the keyboard or mouse, or a page being turned by the sick boy lying in bed. Besides those three sounds it remained as empty and quiet as a tomb.

(ooooh!)

The house the rain fell on was in Washington, was cold and wet. So when she looked at pictures, or when the boy read stories, it was usually of tropical climes. They didn’t know each other was doing it. They didn’t know they shared the same dreams. In dreaming they were mates, so close they could almost touch. In living, their memories of the father, different from each vantage point, had driven them miles apart.

(more tension!)

The next day began with a bang. Alex heard it and woke up. The screen door slamming shut. His aunt arrived in the early morning hours, as usual, from a hard night out. Or a Hard Days Night Out, either one.

(again, the Beatles, younger readers are going to peg me for the old codger I am. I dunno if that’s good or bad at this point)

“Alex, you up yet? Hurry up; we’ll be late for school.”

Mona was Cathy’s younger sister. She was shorter than Cathy in more ways than one and not nearly so pretty to her way of thinking. Her hair was a dirty blond color, and though her legs were short they were shapely and she made the best of them by wearing the shortest skirts allowed by law. You couldn’t blame the woman. She wouldn’t allow you to anyway.
    When he was done dressing and washing his face she caught him running down the stairs.

“Don’t ever let your mother see you do that!” she warned as he jumped in the car.

“I never do.”

“You could take a fall and end up in the hospital again.”

“What’s new?”

“How many times has it been now Alex?”

“Eleven I think, maybe twelve, I forget.”

“Well,” she said, “that’s twelve too many for me. Here we are.”

He got out in front of the school.

“I forgot my lunch,” he said imploringly with his hand out.

“Here,” she said handing him a five-dollar bill, “lunch is on me.”

Generous Auntie could give so much but always wanted more. She made a U turn and went back to the house. She waved him a good-bye wave while looking in the rear-view mirror. She looked in it a bit to check her mascara. The eyes she saw were pretty. Not as pretty as her sister’s but pretty. Her hair was shiny and looked almost wet. Not as shiny as Cathy’s but shiny. She quickly tugged the steering wheel to the left when she almost hit a parked car. Snapping out of her reverie, she now gave attention to the road instead of herself.

“I’m a good driver,” she said aloud, though no one was there. “Not as good as Cathy but good.”

(I think there’s a plotline here that's showing like a fat lady’s slip.)

Then she pulled into an unidentified restaurant and ate the McGreasiest McBreakfast McSandwich she could find.

(the publisher’s will never let me use this one, they don’t like legal suits)

When Cathy went to work that morning she took her camera with her. She passed by an orchard where apples were being picked. They seemed a good subject for a photo. She liked the red roundness of the fruit against the green sharp leaves. She stopped, got out, took a few frames, then left and hurried to work.

A man picked one of the Galas and placed with others in a box. It was put in a truck and began a journey of a million miles down south where it eventually ended up in a market in San Diego mixed in a pile with its brothers and sisters.

(the papers for a suit from the Apple Growers association have already arrived in the mail)

A photographer wanted some fruit for a still life, saw its red roundness and imagined that sharp green leaves had once been behind it. He placed it in his basket and took it home. San Diego is far from Washington but in some ways so near, don’t you think? And life is stranger than fiction.

(I’m not sure what this means but it sounds good. That’s writing for ya)

After shopping he headed west and wound his way home.

When he got his long legs free of the small Triumph he slammed the door with a metallic click. He slung his old Nikon over his shoulder and stepped up to the curb, crossed the walk with very few strides, and entered the gate at the side. He lived in a garage in back. The rent was cheap, even though it was only two blocks from the Jetty. Ocean Beach is where all the poor white trash of San Diego live who can only afford a small taste of California coastline. That was alright with him.

(Now I’ve offended all the people of the City of San Diego, oops!)

Call him Dude. Everybody else does.

(personally I love this line. Sure, it’s ripping off Melville, (Call me Ishmael) but what the heck, Melville is long dead and I never liked Moby Dick anyway, it gave me an inferiority complex for some unmentionable reason)

A neighbor, Old Man, lived across the alleyway and saw he was home. He picked up his baggie and walked over, then knocked on the door.

“Hey Dude, you home? I got a surprise.”

It was a routine he enjoyed. Old men love their routines.

“Of course I am Old Man, just open the door and come in. I’m fresh out of ceremony.”

The first thing the old man said when he got inside was,

“Got papers?"

“Always, for you compadre.”

(Hispanic readers should enjoy the use of Espanol. Wish I could figure out on the damn computer how it use accent marks, but I’m too stupid for that)

Old man took a seat on the beat-up couch. Dusty too. Dusty beat up and falling apart. He caught the pack of Clubs that were thrown his direction. When Dude was on you-tube he couldn’t be bothered with formalities.

(Clubs are the finest smoking papers there are. When ya burn em alone they leave no ash. This part will entertain all the potheads. On the other hand it will reveal I’m a blazer myself. Oh well, an artist is expected to make sacrifices for his art I guess)

“Watch this,” Dude said. He was wiring you-tube to the TV.

On it appeared an image of ancient rock and roll. It was Steve Marriot of Small Faces back in The Day. They were singing Tin Soldier in a color clip from Belgium TV.

“Incredible voice,” said Old Man, who by now was taking a hit.

“Incredible musician,” said Dude, who took the next one after it was passed.

(Steve WAS the best, and would not be offended at all. I hope this part makes everyone watch this on you-tube!)

The afternoon was thus spent. They got cotton mouths, drank Stella Artois, which Dude pointed out was from Belgium as well.

(at this very moment the beer lawyers in Belgium are already licking the stamps to paste on the envelopes with my address)

“I knew a girl once liked Belgium chocolate,” he said, “the ones that look like seashells. She was so hot, this girl was, they melted in her mouth like butter.”

“How about the time I was stuck in the Brussels train station at three AM?” Old Man shot back with impeccable aim.

It went between them that way all afternoon. Ping-ponging thoughts back and forth was their amusement. That’s just how blazers are. Among weed smokers time-wasting and tale-telling is an occupational hazard.

( I gotta stop here, I’m already in too much trouble. Is this novel long enough yet? Doesn’t seem like it)

Last edited by Steven Hunley; 05-07-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    LMAO. You've been reading the plagiarism thread haven't you? To be honest Steve I found the self critiques/narration so entertaining, I can't actually tell you what the story was about. They were so delightfully good. A very effective device but I still don't know what the story is unless I cut out the bolded lines (I don't want to though)

great piece.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wow

Excellent start to what seems to be a really worthwhile novel. Great job
    Steven.

Blog Entries

continuation of Under Cover of Darkness

Later that night Dude couldn’t sleep. To his computer he went. He entered a site and uploaded some photos he’d taken when he’d ransacked Europe just after graduation where his memories still lingered. There were some of Rome and a few of Paris.

(if there‘s any place worth ransacking it’s Rome and Paris. This adds a bit of sophistication to the piece. You understand, foreign capitals and all. To us newcomers on the scene, anything over 200 years old is sophisticated)

“This’ll give them a charge.”

He was into giving people a charge at a discount price.

(Oh, this is subtle foreshadowing, for when Dude turns into a decadent coke dealer later. Wonder if anyone will pick it up? I doubt it.)

Pictures filled the bill. At least they worked for him. He couldn’t afford to go anywhere now so looking at photos was the next best thing. National Geo was his favorite. As a child he’d traveled through its pages at will and didn’t need a passport. Looking was good but talking to Old Man was even better. Old Man was secretive at times but had stories that ringed the globe when you could pry them out of him.

(and that’s just what we’re gonna do in the next chapter. Pry stories! Oh, do I love to foreshadow. There’s so much room for it in a novel.)

Yes, talking and looking and listening are good stuff. No doubt about it.

(this is Southern California flavor at its best. Kind of a laid-back philosophy. It’ll make everyone want to move to SoCal. On the other hand maybe it’s not such a good idea. It’s pretty crowded here already.)

After Alex returned from school he ran straight to the computer the second he was in the door.
    “What’s up?” said Moms.

(personally I never had the nerve to refer to my mother as Moms. Not to her face. She woulda slapped me silly)

“I want to see some pictures of Rome. We’re doing ancient European history.”

The computer was already on her site, when he typed the word “Coliseum”

“Look Mom, there it is. Just like a postcard.”

“Somebody’s picture,” she said absently, “they were there on vacation I guess.”

( see what I mean? She said it ‘ABSENTLY’! What kind of a mom is she anyway? This girl needs a knight in shining armor. Think I'll fix her up.)

“What’s this box here?”

“That’s where you type a response. You tell them if you like it.”

Before she could say more he typed in “We liked it a lot”

That was all he had to do. Fate, who is a heavy-hitter in stories of this sort, took over from there.

(Now there, by any honest man’s opinion is a good line. Sure, it’s intrusive but it shows an omniscient narrator! Omniscient narrators show sophistication! That’s what every good first novel needs. Sophistication. Wonder if I can keep it up?)

They went to sleep early that night and forgot about it completely. Down in California, Dude did the same. The same sea washed upon their shores, the same sun turned them to toast when they had too much of it.

(oooh, it turned them to toast! Same sea shores too! I just love alliteration, and sometimes anomotopea How the hell do you spell aenomotopea? Word don’t know. Neither do I. Me and word got problems)

The moon, at work while they slept, drenched them in the same serious moonlight. They had the same needs, built on the same desires. They slept soundly in their beds, all three of them did, and if you could have peered into their heads, you would have noticed they shared the same simple dreams. Morpheus had his way with each of them in equal measure. Gods are never discriminatory.

( Ooooh I just love this part. Serious moonlight! Thank you David Bowie for the song “Let’s Dance.” If I hadn’t have heard that, I would never have been able to steal “serious moonlight." I should cite him in the end. I should number the phrase “serious moonlight” and cite him. I should use MLA format, like in a term paper. If I don’t David is gonna get all upset. Same as Eric.)

to be continued...

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Steven, you can't deconstruct yourself in this manner for us all to see. It's like you're exposing yourself, you dirty man you.

Been re-reading this CRAZY piece again and again and laughing for the last 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hunley View Post
    Some women can do better without men. But some women, after they’d had their first taste of a man, change in some subtle way, and feel they need one forever more. Good man or bad man it makes no difference. Although Cathy was certainly not the former, she was not the latter, but felt somewhere in the middle. Cathy hated being in the middle. Therefore her songs were not always of exaltation, but neither did she sing the blues. But you have to admit, singing the blues is sometimes better than not singing at all. Just ask Eric Clapton.

When you get into whimsical moods like this, Mr. Hunley, you are at your very best.

Is this novel long enough yet? It doesn't seem like it.

Damn right it isn't.

My regards,
    DH
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

Blog Entries

continued story

The next morning Dude checked his computer astounded to find a message he’d received, a reply on his photos. Most of the others he’d posted had been on there for months. Nothing had ever been said about them. But here was a response. He decided to check right after breakfast.
    He took some Quaker oatmeal out of the cupboard and cooked it up. For extra flavor he sliced up the Washington Gala apple, added cinnamon (canella) from Mexico, then brown sugar and butter. He sat at his table with a round, steaming, hand-painted bowl he’d got from the 99 cent store made in China. Dude was a multi-cultural man at heart and wanted his stomach to feel the same way.

(this is all pretty cute but here come the Quaker Oat lawyers, pulling out their pens like swords from their scabbards, ready to do battle. The 99 cent store lawyers are too. But they can only sue for 99 cents. Somebody told me it was a law! China better not try to get into this either. Them with their “big carbon footprint” and all.)

When he finished it he gave the computer a look.
    The comment was simple and read, “We like it a lot.”
    Between them that’s how it started. Dude always craved a pat on the back.
    He typed back, “Thanks a lot. I’ll post more.”
    The seeds were sewn.

(that’s foreshadowing too, sewing seeds and all)

Between him and the boy they ate each other up like sharks in a feeding frenzy. It was all about attention but a feeding frenzy it was. Somehow, in all this the mother got left behind as much as if she had applied her brakes.

(The brake-pad lobbyists are pressing Obama and certain senators to have my book banned, I just know it. Then me and D.H. Lawrence will have something in common. A banned book. Me + D.H.= Whoopee!)

Alex would come home and make for the computer straight away and went on this way for weeks. Cathy mentioned it to her sister while they were doing dishes.

“You think Alex is on the computer too much?” she said, placing a plate on the shelf.

“No, not that much, it keeps him out of trouble. But I’ll give him a check.”

The next day Mona watched over his shoulder when he went on line. There were new pictures, and with them a small icon with the image of a man. She looked a bit closer. It was only a head-shot but it was more than enough. The man was too good looking; and much too late she realized his eyes had somehow pierced her heart. There was something about him.

(oooh, his eyes pierced her heart! That must have hurt. Better if he’d pierced her ears, but that’s sooo common and sooo NOT romantic. And there was “something about him” too. I like that line, it so descriptive but so non-descript if you know what I mean)

When Cathy asked her the next day,
    “What do you think?”
    “What do I think about what?”
    “About Alex on the computer?”

“Uh… it’s nothing at all Sis. Let him play. It’s nothing at all.”

(oh , I spy a hint of sibling rivalry coming right up! I love the tension!)

She said it in such a dismissing manner Cathy decided to let it ride. That was, if I remember correctly, just one day before Alex fell.

A regular Sunday morning with just a bit of wind was how it was.

( oh, so that’s how it was! It’s not every penny dreadful gives you a weather report.)

Alex put down his book when he heard the fine branches of the tree that stood outside his window tap- tapping against the pane. The wind was up. He knew immediately what that meant.
    He put the book down and opened the closet door.
    He poked around in back until he found his stunt kite with two sets of strings tangled up in a heap. He took it out and spread it out on the floor. What a mess! It took an hour to straighten it out.

Sometimes I just make things up. But a messy closet! That’s the dirty secret of my life. That’s Truth in Writing. Hemingway would be so proud. Slap me on the back Papa and buy me a drink!)

“Aunt Mona,” he bawled, “can we go out?”
    “Where to?” came her voice from the kitchen.
    “To the park, I found my kite!”
    “Sure. We’ll get some ice cream afterwards, there’s a Baskin Robbins across the street.”
    In a flash they were gone. In even less of a flash they were there. The wind was up even more now to about ten or fifteen miles per hour. That’s what Alex said.
    “How can you tell?”
    “Just look at the trees. See the leaves? When leaves alone shake it’s less, maybe five to ten. But now it’s the small branches they’re attached to. That’s more.”
    “For a kid that never gets out you sure know one hell of a lot.”

(for an auntie, Mona has such a foul mouth! Maybe I should edit her foul mouth out)

He laid out the strings on the ground making sure they didn’t tangle.
    “You launch it,” he said.
    “You expect me to run with it?”
    “No, there’s more than enough wind now. Just hold it up.”
    The park was almost deserted. One man was there walking a black lab. Only the wind in the trees was heard. It was as if there was just the two of them and the kite, the trees and the wind.
    When Mona lifted it the wind grabbed and carried it skyward. Alex let out line and it seemed to shrink as it climbed higher and higher. It seemed to Mona as if Alex was holding nature itself by its tail, as if he finally had control. It was an illusion. The boy’s grasp on nature was tenuous at best.

( I like that word “tenuous”. Wish I knew what it meant. Then I could spout it in casual conversation and sound like I know something.)

For a second, if only a second, he was King, and felt that way inside. Being King for the moment was good. King for the moment, Lady Mona in attendance. His realm: a deserted park on a Sunday afternoon. Puffy white clouds ran like sheep through his sky of royal blue.

(see what I mean? It’s just so damn good! He felt he was a KING. The sky was Royal Blue! Get it? King! Royal ! That’s what they call cohesion of images. It’s what makes it all stick together. We need a lot of sticking together here. It’s a gol-durned novel, that’s why)

Then nature regained control and reminded him of his place in the scheme of things.

( ah yes, the old “scheme of things” bit. I’m carrying on a grand tradition here, a novel written in the English tradition. Inside of fifty years it will be in senior high-schoolers textbooks. But why should I care? I’ll be dead.)

That’s when he fell. The black dog curious dog wandered over and then behind him. Alex’s eyes were directed skyward, and he saw the kite fall when the wind grew weak. He backed up to keep control by tightening the line. Tripping over the dog, who gave a sharp yelp, he fell back and landed on his shoulder. Mona saw what happened and gathered him up. She quickly drove to the ER, the crumpled boy in the back of her car.

(Will the readers in Patagonia know what ER stands for? Will the readers in England know? Ever notice how they say “he’s in hospital” like we say “he’s in jail?” They should say he’s in THE hospital. The English have forgotten how to speak English! How did that happen? Must have been all the immigrants from their former colonies. They wrecked their language!)

The dog sniffed at the damaged kite lying on the grass, the strings tangled in a heap. He caught one of his feet in the string and let out a whimper, wanting someone to set him free. Rushing home in the car, his shoulder starting to swell, the boy who’d taken a back seat to life did too.
    When they got to the ER Cathy was waiting with her knitting in her hand. It was what she usually did. The boy climbed onto the bed and sat. The doctor said what he usually said which was,
    “Hi Alex, what’s up?” and checked him out.
    “It’s not too bad this time,” he told Cathy, “it’s superficial. Let him rest.”
    It was all she could do.

(It’s all I can do to keep on writing. Are we near the end yet?)
    She began to take out the yarn and say “Alex, put out your hands like this,” so she could unwrap it and make a ball, then realized she couldn’t. Not now. This time it had been his shoulder so that was out. Besides, he’d already fallen asleep. Instead, she packed up her knitting, went in the bathroom and closed the door quietly so not to disturb her boy. She sat on the toilet fully clothed and regarded herself in the mirror.
    The terrazzo floor beneath her feet was cold and hard.
    “So is our life,” she reflected.

( See what I mean? Mirror, terrazzo floor, reflected? It’s that subtle use of “cohesion of images and words” that plays with the reader’s intellect and burns the image into his ever-lasting memory banks)

The chromium bar placed on the wall nearby had more sparkle to it than she had. Cathy knew it had been placed there for people with disabilities, so she grabbed it with her left hand tightly.
    With her right hand she reached over and grabbed an inordinate amount of toilet paper, and although the task was difficult one-handed, balled it up in a gigantic ball. Grasping it, she decided to have the only thing she could have, the only one she felt coming to her, the thing she felt she deserved. She had a woman’s cry, that is to say, she cried not like a man, but like a woman.

(are the women- libbers gonna rag me about this one? I wonder.)

At home Mona flopped into a chair. She located the computer and searched through the icons till she found the southern gentleman (she called him that now to herself) and imagined just what she’d say to him if ever they met, then fell asleep. Poor Mona, the day had done her in.

(me too, this novel-writing stuff is hard work. I gotta stop here and take a break.)

to be continued...
    Last edited by Steven Hunley; 05-17-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Lover of Microsoft Paint!
    Blog Entries
    I would like to read it all. I am working on a novel myself. I dont like to archive my things to the public other than poetry and to friends.

Blog Entries

continued story

sorry, posted twice. I'm all thumbs today!
    Last edited by Steven Hunley; 05-16-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: posted twice

Lover of Microsoft Paint!
    Blog Entries
    You posted that twice.

I really enjoyed this. Such a clever concept with the bolded commentary. I like the story as well, but I think the only critique, and it's a minor one is that maybe the bolded lines should be italicized or something of the like, because it's difficult, at least in this online format, to not skip some of the story to get to the next bold line. Again, nitpicking where nits are a relatively endangered species.

Blog Entries

story continued

While she was dreaming the boy was dreaming too. All safe in his bed he dreamt of islands and pirates and gold sandy beaches where brown wooden boxes bound in rusted iron bands could easily be unearthed from the sand with a shovel.

Oh, this part is choice, it’s so damned decorative, I like it a lot. Wish I could write this way all the time, but then I’d be a real author.

He dreamt he was digging one up. But what’s this? A man was standing in the surf that didn’t look like a pirate at all. No way! He was dressed in baggies, had flip-flops on his feet and was wearing sunglasses.

“What kind of a pirate dude is this?” he said to his dreamself. The answer was simple: A very special kind of dude, and no pirate at all.

Dreamself-now there’s a word. Shades of Carlos Castaneda and Edgar Cayce!

Then he turned over and went on to a different place entirely.

And so does the story, God I’m a clever bastard!

In Ocean Beach Dude watched closely as a small black crab the size of a postage stamp scrambled over his palm in terror. When it got to the edge of his palm it fell over, then down through the air like a skydiver, hitting the rubber part of his flip-flops, the piece that ran between his toes, bounced, and was carried off by the retreating surf.

This actually happened to me at the beach! I’m so auto-biographical. Wish I was auto-erotic too, but a man can’t have everything. Sometimes he needs a woman.

He removed his sunglasses to watch its’ escape more carefully then decided he needed some suntan around his eyes so he folded them and placed them in his baggies.
    He walked back to the pier where Old Man was under an umbrella reading The Master of Ballantrae.

“What’s that?”

Old Man looked up.

We call him Old Man because he’s an old man, get it? He’s a symbol! I love using symbols and all!

“It’s a tale of high adventure. The best Stevenson ever wrote.”

Ah, there we go, a reference to a well-known author. If James Joyce can do it then so can I.

“Oh,” he didn’t sound impressed.

“You ever read, Dude?”

We suspect that he doesn’t, after all he’s a surfer!

“Not much,” he answered, then added thoughtfully, “but if was up to me, I’d rather live a life of high adventure than read about it.”

Foreshadowing again! It’s what they call a “literary technique”! All us good writers use it.

Old Man looked out real far, as if he could see over the horizon, as if looking there brought memories somehow.

“I know what you mean. I know exactly what you mean.”

He turned back to his book and became lost in thought, which he figured was as good a place as any.

Now that’s a clever turn of phrase if ever I heard one.

Dude felt restless, and sat in the sand a minute to calm his *ss down, watching the surfers sitting on their boards waiting for waves.

My Mom made that one up when she said, “Steven, calm your *ss down! I mean it!” Wonder if the publishers will let me use it? If they don’t I’ll just send Mom over to slap them one.

He was restless only because he’d been waiting too long for something but had no idea what it was.

Me neither, it’s too early in the novel.

That’s what was wrong with him. He was a restless Dude stuck on a beach, waiting for the tide to come in and carry him away, anything for a change. He’d had his fill of waiting.

Me too, I’ve had my fill of waiting, waiting for the end of this novel. Hell, it’s not even short-story length yet, much less a novella, or even a novelette. My fingers are getting sore from pounding on these damn computer keys. I need to buy steel-tipped finger gloves if I want to be a novelist. How did Tolstoy ever do it?

to be continued...

Blog Entries
    Another Oldie but Goodie! It's been a few years!!