Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Wrongful conception

Blog Entries

Wrongful conception

I'm currently taking a course on medical malpractice law and among the things we discussed was a phenomen called "wrongful conception".
    I'm sure all of you are familiar with the problems concerning in vitro fertilisation (IVF) and the birth of handicapped children. In law this is called "wrongful birth"
    The difference with "wrongful conception" is this: one parent gets a sterilisation (or vasectomy for men) because they don't want to get kids. For some reason or other, the sterilisation fails, a - perfectly healthy - child is born. Now, the parents want compensation and file a suit for child support.
    In Austria the 6th senate of the High Court (OGH) denies the parents an indemnity claim on the grounds that a healthy child (or the support it must receive) cannot be a detriment. In both Germany and Switzerland it is possible to sue the responisble doctor for compensation.
    I'm not sure how courts in other countries decide this matter, but my question is: What do people think of it?

Interesting question.

In a case like this, people should be able to sue their doctor (or other medical personnel) for compensation. If the doctor did everything he was supposed to do and did not make any mistakes and provided correct information, I don't think he should be held accountable. If he did make a mistake he obviously should.

I assume the compensation goes to the child?
    You know I had brain fever, and that is to be mad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Propter W. View Post

I assume the compensation goes to the child?
    No. The compensation goes to the parents who are obligated to support the child. They still pay the child support but they may get the sum in question from the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    I'm currently taking a course on medical malpractice law and among the things we discussed was a phenomen called "wrongful conception".
    I'm sure all of you are familiar with the problems concerning in vitro fertilisation (IVF) and the birth of handicapped children. In law this is called "wrongful birth"
    The difference with "wrongful conception" is this: one parent gets a sterilisation (or vasectomy for men) because they don't want to get kids. For some reason or other, the sterilisation fails, a - perfectly healthy - child is born. Now, the parents want compensation and file a suit for child support.
    In Austria the 6th senate of the High Court (OGH) denies the parents an indemnity claim on the grounds that a healthy child (or the support it must receive) cannot be a detriment. In both Germany and Switzerland it is possible to sue the responsible doctor for compensation.
    I'm not sure how courts in other countries decide this matter, but my question is: What do people think of it?
    It's a legal matter that is, as you say, applied differently in various countries, but it's reasonable to assume that there should be grounds for compensation if the process produced the reverse of what had been intended.
    If, however, the process had been carried out but didn't guarantee success, it is likely that compensation would be contested.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

I wonder how infertile couples feel about others who would sue because they had a child.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Could they not give the child up for adoption? There are plenty of childless couples out there who would want to adopt.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    They could also abort.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm.... I don't think that they should get financial compensation. They should be made fully aware of the risk that the procedure might fail and be made to sign something like a waiver, just like they would if they had any medical procedure.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    Hmmmm.... I don't think that they should get financial compensation. They should be made fully aware of the risk that the procedure might fail and be made to sign something like a waiver, just like they would if they had any medical procedure.
    Normally, they are. "Wrongful conception" only comes about if the doctor didn't make himself clear or made a mistake.

@Delta40: That's mostly their argument.

@Loksaenna: That's the tricky part. People who file this kind of law suit do not want their child put up for adoption. They just feel - if I understood correctly - that somebody else should ultimately pay for them.

Blog Entries
    I can see how the Austrian court can view the outcome of the wrongful conception of a health baby as not a detriment. The parents had some choices to make before the child was born such as abortion or adoption. Yet, they still had the child and are now asking for child support or to be compensated for the outcome. The choice to have the child would imply that they are ready to raise the child and handle any financial burden this outcome brings to their lives. Therefore, there is no detriment. On the other hand, if the parents are compensated as is possible in Germany and Switzerland, I think it is a matter judging from the perspective of malpractice on the doctor’s part. If a doctor is negligent, does that mean that their patient is wrongfully harmed? And if so, should they be compensated, not the child?

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    They could also abort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    @Delta40: That's mostly their argument.
    Thee, correct me if I am wrong but didn't you once say Austria is kind of religious? So abortion?

EDIT: Just realised if you are religious unlikley to have got for the surgery in the first place so :
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Thee, correct me if I am wrong but didn't you once say Austria is kind of religious? So abortion?

EDIT: Just realised if you are religious unlikley to have got for the surgery in the first place so :
    Correct, Night. And no, I didn't say that. At least, I can't remember.

@jersea: In a way, they do get the compensation, not the child. The child never actually "sees" the child support. It's what the parents have to spend for the child.
    And yes, if the doctor is negligent, he breaches a contractual obligation, so that's where the "unlawful" part comes in. You don't always need to actually harm a person to act unlawful.
    (At least in Austria there is a distinction between compensation ex contractu and compensation ex delicto.)