Thread: What About Beth?

Crystal

What About Beth?

It is dissapointing that Jo & Laurie didn't get married, but what about the death of Beth? Tears came to my eyes when I read the part about her passing, and I was only 13 years old. She was the sweet, innocent one. I think I liked her the best. Little Women is a great book! It's a classic everyone should read!

Beth is definently my favourite character from little women, any part of the novel with her in it makes my eyes water, from when she first begins to play music to her death, and even any reference to her from that point! she's such a sweet, innocent character!

Is there LitNetAnonymous? Adudaewen's Avatar
    *sulkily* They always kill of my favorite characters.
    "Who are a little wise
    the best fools be." John Donne

If a drop of water falls in lake there is no identity. But if it falls on a leaf of lotus it shine like a pearl. so choose the best place where you would shine..

i think the force of life of all the rest of the family killed beth.
    beth seemed to me to be the anchor of the family -- she didn't want anything to change... she reminds me a lot of myself. i think she represents the "looking back" portion of a family as opposed to the "moving on" portion /which pretty much doomed her.

Quote Originally Posted by i'mauntallie View Post
    i think the force of life of all the rest of the family killed beth.
    beth seemed to me to be the anchor of the family -- she didn't want anything to change... she reminds me a lot of myself. i think she represents the "looking back" portion of a family as opposed to the "moving on" portion /which pretty much doomed her.

I don't agree with you.

Actually,beth(Elizabeth) was younger sister of Louisa alcott who had died of scarlet fever and Louisa had portrayed her character in this novel as Beth.All characters of this novel are Louisa's sisters with same names i.e Meg(Anna Alcott),Jo(Louisa herself),Beth(Elizabeth),Ammy(May Alcott).

You can simply say that Little Women is fictioned autobiography of Louisa and her sisters.And nobody is responsible for Beth's death.

It was sad. Even in her own little quiet peacefulness she brought a piece to the family whole. It was cool how nice Mr. Lawrence was to her right before her death.

When i first read Good Wives, it was a short version of the story, and they had skiped the poem Jo writes to her sister: 'My Beth', so I got kind of mad at Alcott for being so rude with Beth's death. But after reading a complete version of the book, I realized that poem was perfect and I have to say it made me cry too :S I knew Alcott couldn't have been so mean to Beth with such a short description of the situation! XD

Re: What About Beth?

Quote Originally Posted by booksbuddy View Post
    I don't agree with you.

Actually,beth(Elizabeth) was younger sister of Louisa alcott who had died of scarlet fever and Louisa had portrayed her character in this novel as Beth.All characters of this novel are Louisa's sisters with same names i.e Meg(Anna Alcott),Jo(Louisa herself),Beth(Elizabeth),Ammy(May Alcott).

You can simply say that Little Women is fictioned autobiography of Louisa and her sisters.And nobody is responsible for Beth's death.
    Agreed. Little Women is a semi-autobiography, and was based upon Louisa's childhood experiences with her three sisters.
    "We'll all grow up someday, we might as well know what we want."

Amy March - "Little Women" (1994)

I thing Louissa was unfair by saying that Beth has no talent, only her good character. She was an awensome musicion. I wish Beth and Laurie would married DBut nop- Alcott decided to kill her, and give Laurie to that brat Amy.