Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Short Story Authors of Today

Best Short Story Authors of Today

Recently I've been planning to write a short story but I figured I should probably read a few more to get a good feel for them. I am already well acquainted with Arthur Conan Doyle (having read all of his Sherlock Holmes stories) as well as Hawthorne and Poe. What I would like, is to read some of the short stories being written today. So I would appreciate it if you list the best short stories written in the last 20 years.

Also, if you can think of any historical fiction short story authors please mention them.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are several threads which ask the same question. If you use the "Search" feature you might be able to pull these up. There were quite a few suggestions there.

Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Question

Some current short story collections I like:

'The Last Book you Read' by Ewan Morrison
    'A Multitude of Sins' by Richard Ford
    'The Boat' by Nam Le

Cool You don't mention possibly the best short story writers ....

of the twentieth century. In my opinion, these are:
    1. Ernewt Hemingway
    2. Scott Fitzgerald
    3. Somerset Maugham

And D.H. Lawrence who was one of the greatest short story writers of the modernists. There is a thread discussing a select of his short stories on his specific author page that I definately recommend reading through... although if its for writing short stories, I've noticed a lot of contemporary readers don't like the D.H. Lawrence style so it depends on if you want to write the stories for yourself or if you have a readership in mind.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...=Short+Stories

Here are a slew of short story suggestions.

My suggestions for more recent short story writers would include:

J.L Borges
    Italo Calvino
    Tomaso Landolfi
    Donald Barthleme
    Julio Cortazar
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Augusto Monterros
    Michel Tournier
    Alaine Robbe-Grillet
    Stig Dagerman
    W.S. Merwin
    Last edited by stlukesguild; 04-20-2011 at 01:32 AM.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll try to read through some of these soon.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if this is really what you are looking for, but I just read a book by David Sedaris called Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. You can catch it on the book review threads. Compared to the greats mentioned here, it may be a little weak.

Echoing the recommendations of Jorge Luis Borges, especially "The South", "Death and the Compass", hell, pretty much all of them, as well as Julio Cortazar. Roberto Bolaño wrote some extremely good short stories as well, and he was hugely influenced by the aforementioned authors. David Foster Wallace, John Updike, Don DeLillo, Kurt Vonnegut ("Bambago Snuff Box", "Welcome to the Monkey House", also especially the short story by him titled "Harrison Bergeron"), and Michael Chabon ("Werewolves in their Youth") all are more well-known for their longer works, but all have written significant and meaningful short stories as well.

I could go on, but what it comes down to, usually if a writer is able to keep the readers attention and create quality prose for novel-length works, they can do it in sorter facets too.

Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link. Sort of horror themed. I loved it and apparently some similarities with Borges (I haven't read him myself).

Ray Bradbury writes fantastic short stories, and there is no shortage of collections of his short stories. The Martian Chronicles is great.

Anyone got any suggestions for humorous short stories, I'd be interested in that to help take the pain away, thanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Anyone got any suggestions for humorous short stories, I'd be interested in that to help take the pain away, thanks?
    It's got to be P.G.Wodehouse. The funniest short story writer of all time.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    It's got to be P.G.Wodehouse. The funniest short story writer of all time.
    Yes I agree Wodehouse is top form.

Okay, so I read a couple of Borges' stories yesterday, one of which was the Garden of the Forking Paths. It was well written, but his concept of time is very confusing. I'm going to read a few more of his stories tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast