Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Most Important People in History

Banned
    "I can't buy that. While these things are recent in archaeological terms, the changes they made to the world were such that whatever history we create from now on, it will have been shaped by those immense changes in the past.

Just think about the generation of dead from WWII for starters. Millions upon millions of our best and brightest young men were thrown into the war mincer, and then more millions were deprived of their life by being casualties of war before it had even really begun.

The difference those people and their potential children not being on the planet is incalculable. We can't for sure how those events of the 18th and 20th century will shape the world, but we must acknowledge that they have/will."

I agree but The first war was of greater importance. It was the first time that europe truly saw the horrors of modern warfare (by the second world war, people were far less shocked by modern warfare.) The first world war is truly what brought europe into the 20th century, or rather european thought into the 20th century. And also, the failure at Versailles and all the loose strings left after the great war, lead directly to Russian Communism, Hitler's huge popularity and the second world war.

Blog Entries

Hi,

I've found this list by chance long time ago prior to joining this forum:

The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History. By Michael H. Hart

http://www.howard.k12.md.us/glenwood...tenlistweb.pdf
    Deguonis
    "Our age, which is cursed with inhuman savagery and want, also allows us superhuman
    powers."
    - WILLIAM BOLITHO

"The price of the succulent cabbage is up,
    The cabbage that's grown by the hand of Ah Pup.
    'The stock of the Chow soars in country and town
    But that of the poet goes steadily down."
    - JOHN BEDE DALLEY

Blog Entries
    Religion: Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, Lao-Tzu, Zarathustra, Luther
    Philosophy: Plato, Aristotle, Confucius, Descartes,
    Science: Newton, Darwin, Galileo, Copernicus, Archimedes, Euclid, Harvey, Faraday, Pasteur
    Economics: Adam Smith
    Writing: Homer, Vyasa, Valmiki, Firdawsi, Virgil, Dante, Shakespeare
    Conquest: Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Napoleon, Tamerlane, Julius Caesar, Charlemagne, Qin Shi Huang, Shaka Zulu

Also whoever invented fire, the wheel, agriculture, pottery, writing, domesticated animals, indoor plumbing, and the city.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by deguonis View Post

Hi,

I've found this list by chance long time ago prior to joining this forum:

The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History. By Michael H. Hart

http://www.howard.k12.md.us/glenwood...tenlistweb.pdf
    No. 31 on that list???

Edward de Vere (William Shakespeare)
    1550-1604
    Playwright and poet
    Wrote at least 36 plays (including Hamlet, Macbeth, King Lear, Julius Caesar, and Othello

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    No. 31 on that list???

Yes, that rather costs it some credibility with me as well!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, that rather costs it some credibility with me as well!

Yes... but it will certainly raise it in the esteem of our friend, Robert (Musicology)... although I'm not sure if he has it that de Vere was Shakespeare... or if rather Queen Elizabeth and Elvis wrote the whole of the plays with the aid of Goethe (who was actually Oscar Wilde) the Jesuits and the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    That's a really nice list, with the exception of that bit about Edward de Vere. You know, Edward de Vere actually published some of his own poems, and they don't look anything like Shakespeare's. I remember thinking that they seemed like the product of a very intelligent but untalented man.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by mortalterror View Post
    Economics: Adam Smith
    I would add to this list:

Marx: no economics can claim legitimacy without first coming to terms with Marxism.

Keynes: because he was a major player in the shifting of economic power during world war II.

Friedman: undoubtedly one of the most controversial economists of the 20th century.

Blog Entries
    Jeremy Bentham
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Banned
    I think the most important person in history is the one who has the smile that makes you feel absolutely crazy!

A Student
    The thread says people, so I'll throw some names out there.

For the foundation of American government, I think James Madison deserves at least an honorary mention. Although formed in compromise, he basically penned the constitution.

Agreed with Bhudda*, Christ, and Alexander the Great.

This one will probably get shot down, but in my books, LBJ deserves a huge mention. The Civil Rights legislation (albeit influenced by MLK and Malcolm X more than LBJ's own intentions) is instrumental to contemporary and future rights of minorities. To me, a Southerner ending segregation is a big deal.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IceM View Post
    The thread says people, so I'll throw some names out there.

For the foundation of American government, I think James Madison deserves at least an honorary mention. Although formed in compromise, he basically penned the constitution.

Agreed with Bhudda*, Christ, and Alexander the Great.

This one will probably get shot down, but in my books, LBJ deserves a huge mention. The Civil Rights legislation (albeit influenced by MLK and Malcolm X more than LBJ's own intentions) is instrumental to contemporary and future rights of minorities. To me, a Southerner ending segregation is a big deal.
    The problem with most of these is that they are distinctly American, america has been around for 200 years, and it has only been a powerful nation for 100 years. In terms of human written history, America is a wink.

Blog Entries
    If you aren't American that viewpoint is very clear, but to many Americans that idea is shocking. Strange as it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by jersea View Post
    If you aren't American that viewpoint is very clear, but to many Americans that idea is shocking. Strange as it may be.
    Ain't that the truth.
    You know I had brain fever, and that is to be mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    who are the most important and influential figures in human history?
    If I get it right you are talking about important and influential figures a posteriori, we are not talking about figures who were important and influential only in their own time even when their power and influence was very deep, but where we draw the line? and what kind of value has chance in all of this? Saint Paul - the real founder of Christianity - and Mohamed are hard to beat but what role has played chance in making their legacy everlasting?
    Probably chance is a necessary attribute of every historical figure whose importance and influence has expanded well beyond his/her life span, but wouldn't it be fair to recognize the greatness of the figures who were revolutionaries in their own time? Figures whose will was a decisive factor in making them important and influential? looking at it this way I'd say Mohamed is much greater than Saint Paul (basically a by-product of the roman empire).
    Anyway, though chance has played its obvious role for them too I'm unable to imagine the course of the world in the last 500 years without the actions performed by Luther and Columbus.
    "He had but one eye, and the popular prejudice runs in favour of two."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast