Thread: Which Dumas book to read next?

Which Dumas book to read next?

I've read the count of monte cristo (The best book ever written I think) but I then read the three musketeers and was very disappointed as I felt it didn't compare to the count. Does anyone have any other favorites of his?

Why didn't you like The Three Musketeers? It is different to The Count, I concede, but I wouldn't say it disappointed me, it rather surprised me in its colourful nature and Dumas's masterful drawing of his characters, his dialogues, plot behind the plot... I particularly liked the chapter about the musketeers and their servants and appartments; that was classic imagery, but every so ironically and well put. It just disclosed those four people's characters to ou in a few strokes. Or that was the case in French anyway.

Then certainly do not go on with the trilogy (Twenty Years After/The Vicomte de Bragelonne), because the second book I found a bit lacking and the third, well, you have to have read the second really to understand it...

Also do not read The Black Tulip, because that's quite the same as the musketeers, maybe a little bit less colourful, but more melodramatic, albeit a lot shorter.

I can't comment further as that is all I have read, but look on this site for summaries (searchable text facility) and then choose one that has some pluck to it like The Count.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Well,I strongly recommend you to read "Joseph Balsamo-memoires d'un medecin".It's the first book in the book series "Memoires d'un medecin"And it's the best of all the rest in the series.he looks like the Count,even says like him,You will find there plots,passion,treason,liberty,mesmerism,love,obses sion,death, everything.It's set in France from 1770 to 1774,so it follows the last years of Louis XV,his mistress Madame Dubarry,Marie-Antoinette as a dophine etc.

Quote Originally Posted by montecristo42 View Post
    Well,I strongly recommend you to read "Joseph Balsamo-memoires d'un medecin".It's the first book in the book series "Memoires d'un medecin"And it's the best of all the rest in the series.he looks like the Count,even says like him,You will find there plots,passion,treason,liberty,mesmerism,love,obses sion,death, everything.It's set in France from 1770 to 1774,so it follows the last years of Louis XV,his mistress Madame Dubarry,Marie-Antoinette as a dophine etc.
    Although be warned that Memoirs of a Physician is just the first in the five-novel Marie Antoinette series (most spanning multiple volumes, to boot), so if you like it enough to want to continue, you're looking at quite a time commitment. Financial, too, if you don't already own them.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi