Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laurie/Jo/Amy/The old german man

Unregistered

Laurie and Jo

I think that the ending was great even though laurie and amy ended up together.I cried sometimes or just laughed out loud.I loved the part where Laurie told Jo he liked her.It was so touching.It was a pity they didn't end up with each other.I was sad when Jo refused laurie's love.

Unregistered

No Subject

When I first read the book, I was dissapointed when Jo refused Laurie too. But when Professor Baer came in, all my dissaproval of Louisa May Alcott was swept away. I agree that Baer and Jo were meant for eachother because they were different and similar at the same time. And yes, I think Laurie's affection for Jo was proud.<br>Just a personal opinion, but I've also always liked romances between a younger girl and an older man. That's one reason Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre is my favorite novel.

Teddie

Laurie and Jo Forever

I absolutly love Jo and Laurie together, they awsome and perfect. They did not really fight that much, but in a way kept each other in check. And why Amy, I mean she may have been suited for the rich life and the parties and all, but Laurie is more adventures and free spirited, as is Jo. They would have had such a wonderful life together, if it worked out.

Unregistered

Laurie/Jo/Amy/The old german man

I wish i could change the fact that Jo and Laurie didn't marry. Despite the fact that they both had big tempers they would've made the best couple ever. And Laurie looks so much better than that old german man. And Amy was pretty well suited for Laurie but they just didn't click. Amy didn't have enough michevious spirit in her to marry someone like Laurie. And Laurie loved Jo so much...how could he just throw it behind him and marry Amy. It is so not fair.

In real life people that have so much in common are not always the best couples. I have been married 3 years and my hubby is so different from me, but we are happy that way. I believe the way Louisa May Alcott wrote the book is great and lead to the other books about their lives. As to the Villette theory i'm not sure could be but i doubt it
    Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you have never met.

Lightbulb

I find the old german man more fascinating than Laurie.
    And you can't love someone by considering him a brother, as Jo considered Laurie...
    Moreover, as Shortysweetp said, they were too similar.

Agreeing with Jo,
    Sally
    I would prefer not to

i went and looked at the dates the two books where published (villette and little women) and villette was published first but everything that I have read says that Little Women was based on her family therefore not having anything do with Villette. I really dont see the similarity between the two. i mean yeah they both married a teacher (who was supporting other people and living a simple life) but the circumstances are completely different. But then again it could be possible that Alcott had read Villette.
    Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you have never met.

Or it could just be that they had similar ideas about such.

What would Jo think if she saw so many people who wanted her to marry Laurie? She knew it would of been a mistake to marry Laurie. And she was so happy with Mr. Bhaer, you needn't rain on her. What they do with the boys is wonderful. It's just the sort of thing Jo wanted.

When Laurie was in love with Jo, he may of been in love with being in love. I don't know.

Laurie and Amy were so happy together. And living with an artist is not dull! I seem to remember their artistic plans. Laurie needed a woman who wanted to keep house, liked that sort of thing, Jo's boys need her.
    When ideas fail, words come in very handy.

Count to 10,000 and down to -10,000!

Loved It

I personally loved how everything ended up. Jo and Laurie were to similar in my opinion but the had the perfect best friend, brother/sister relationship. I actually always thought Amy and Laurie would be together from the beginning. I got of figured it when Amy said she would marry for money.

Though I know Amy did not marry Laurie for his money, I mean, she turned down a man who had more than he did and she had told him she despised him at one point, I think in Nice. I loved how they ended uo together. I also love how Alcott went about getting them together. Laurie had been confused about his feelings, thinking he should be "faithful" to Jo but loving Amy as well. In the end he realized that his love for Jo was that of a sister and Amy was the woman he loved.

Also, Jo and Bhear were , in my opinion, perfect for each other. They were similar but they were also different as well. Bhear was more down to earth while Jo was more spirited. They evened each other out. Age wasn't a matter back then, in a way it still isn't now, I mean, it wasn't unusual for a girl in her 20's to marry a man in his 50's or something (though, I think Bhear was younger than that.)

Well...

I thing the reason why Jo got together with Friederick, is because not only Friederick was funny or good with children, he could teach Jo as well. Not just the German language, but also about her character. Friederick was able to see, what Jo (like her hot temper) could not see about herself.
    Jo and Laurie would be useless, because Laurie could not offer of what Jo needed the most. Jo does not just need money or 'larks', she needs a bit more then that.

Bhadra
    I was sad that Jo and Laurie didn't marry,
    but Bhaer seems more better for her. I didn't like the idea of Amy and Laurie marrying though...

im so in love with teddy and when you read the books, you think you're jo so i was ever so disappointed in her

Well, I really don't know if I wanted them to be a couple or not.

I just know I missed their playful companionship from the first book in the sequel TT

Lady Reader
    I read Little Women & I was glad that Laurie ends up with Amy. I loved Jo with Professor Baur. Excuse my spelling of it.
    -Sharita

A piece of info. for u guys, The book was almost representing the life of Louisa M. A. and the whole of the Alcott family. If u didn't Know, Louisa was actually a spinster, and so Jo (who was made in the likeness of the authoress) was supposed to be kept unmarried but the book was returned back to Louisa from the publishers to make Jo married. Come on, Louisa can't change the whole book can she so she just had to make Jo marry that man (I must confess that personally I HATE that combination and would have preferred Jo marrying Laurie however sweet and nice the professor is!!)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast