Thread: Endure

Endure

Endure

Sequestered in this chilled and chilling cell,
    My body wracked, my spirit still burns bright.
    A recusant searching for a wayward soul
    Or a mendicant without the gift of sight.

This flickering light, my supplicating hands
    Take on the aspect of the old gnarled roots
    Of the oak and olive trees I roamed among,
    'Fore heart, mind and will began disputes.

Without these vast austere enclosing walls
    The other world and worlds call silently.
    Beckons the familiar and the strange,
    Choose I must and now and diligently.

Each guttering candle marks a measured time,
    Damnation or deliverance matters not,
    For within, there burns a balm of golden peace.
    And gods or god are easily forgot.

Stern feet advance upon my little realm,
    I'm judged and yet I judge myself the more,
    No temporal questions could I give an answer,
    I will embrace my fate, I will endure.
    Last edited by Jinian; 03-27-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Mango Madness

Exceedingly delicious,if november be propitious,
    Surpassingly nutritious,though damage meretricious,
    From cockatoos malicious can engender thoughts quite vicious.

A reminiscent delineation of the masculine persuasion,
    Of the bovine pendulations (assuming negative castration).

Lacking cockatoos quiescence, and avian virulescence,
    Then the showy inflorescence can pass a safer prepubescence
    Adolescence through senescence, else they become an obsolescence,
    A seductive sweet excrescence, intoxicating effervescence ,
    To a reeling crowd of drunken cockatoos in convalescence.

an organized mess
    I was getting hungry for mango until I read "bovine pendulations." However, I love odes to unpretentious things!

lol I had hoped the oblique reference would be missed by the most delicate of sensibilities while appreciated by the broadly humorous - I really couldn't neglect their somewhat suggestive oviform configuration!

I got a good laugh out of Mango Madness. The linguistic flourish is quite at odds with the subject matter! The first is more in the dark, classically romantic vein but less successful, I think. I have a taste for the more poetically melodramatic but I think you have to earn it and not go overboard. I think such a piece would benefit more for a cooler perspective if only because it is so emotionally charged to begin with. I'd also remove the somewhat archaic predicate/subject reversals (eg, No temporal questions could I give an answer,).
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

My thanks for your comments - I do like to wallow, grins. And most of my work is prompted by a picture I've taken, rarely, taking one to suit, but always a good exercise in photography. And exercises are all my writings... to see if I can. And now to read your latest...*weg*

^ I wasn't aware that was your photography! Very nice on both accounts. I tend to like well-done still lifes anyway. I'm an amateur photography enthusiast as well that's still stubbornly clinging to my MF (6x7) Mamiya 7ii rangefinder film camera in this digital age! I've thought many times about combining my poetry and photography, but they always seem to repel each other, at least to the extent I can't think of anything to write about a photograph or envision/take a photograph that would pair with any of my poems. Although I would love to explore it as a hybrid medium of sorts. The mediums of the written word and captured images are really polar opposites that seem to work on completely different/opposing standards and I think that's one thing that makes the combination difficult.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Now that's interesting. I find an image can spark a composition, in fact that's how I've produced so many pieces. At one time a Swedish friend and I would alternately take a picture for us both to produce something appropriate then we'd post them in the now defunct yahoo360. Never did we come up with anything similar but sometimes the other came up with something jawdroppingly stunning (his education system must shame us for it's comprehensiveness, one would not know his writings were not in his mother language). I have picture/short writings I could post but since they're not poetry I'm not sure where they should be submitted on this forum, oftentimes mine are satire, a style I adore descending into.
    I miss the challenge and the discipline of having to produce. Again, my thanks for your compliments, and I must admit while I've retained all the darkroom and camera equipment for film, I'm now an 'instant artist' just like everyone else in digital. grins
    Last edited by Jinian; 03-28-2011 at 04:27 PM.