Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
1) I've always wondered, why go to the trouble of writing in iambic pentameter if the dialogue is meant to be delivered as normal conversation?

2) Do the historical plays work if seen in order of internal chronology, or are they best seen/read in order of composition?

3) This may be hard: So much has been written about the intricacy and depth of his plays, both the words and the characters, and yet I thought he was writing for the unwashed masses. Did he actually work on two levels, so his works could be enjoyed by both the general public and the more educated, or are exaggerations afoot one way or the other?

"May all the number of the stars give light to thy fair way" (Julius C.)

Calidore
Hello Calidore,
Good questions, to which the answers must necessarily be opinions.
1. The dialog may well be in jambic and - if I may so - it is good that it is. Why? Because when you repeat a quote it makes it stand out even in a normal conversation, as you point out. You may wish to check out
www.yourdailyshakespeare.com
for an unusual take on Shakespeare quotes and their use.
2. I am not sure I completely understand your question. Reading the plays in order of chronology helps, if not else, to remember the history of England during the 100 (or rather 130) years war.
3. I like to think that he wrote for the 'unwashed' masses. This is why his work and especially his lines are relevant to today's masses who would benefit from a washing of the mind more than the body.
Cheers.