Thread: Philosophical Journal

To be, or not to be. misterreplicant's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Philosophical Journal

I've been thinking of this idea while in B&N reading a philosophy book (I forgot which exactly, I think it was Voltaire's dictionary).
    First off... Does anyone keep some sort of .. "Philosophical idea journal" or anything?
    How did historic philosophers (I mean, post-Socratic.. like 1500+ AD) write their books? How do they write their books today? Do they keep a journal with questions and write down their views on them or something?
    Last edited by misterreplicant; 03-20-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Books completed in 2011:
    • Shadow of the Hegemon - Orson Scott Card
    • The Inferno - Dante Alighieri
    • The Iliad - Homer

"Homer was on the rowing team at his high school." ~My grandfather

Hello,
    Well I think yes, they keep a journal and write down their views and observations about events. Once they have an idea, they write it dawn; human beings forget so you must write immediately. By the time, they get many many philosophical ideas, note that not all of them are worth to be published. So they choose the ideas that they think they are worth publishing. They edit them, add more explanations to them. Finally, they publish them.
    By the way, this is what I think! It does not has to be true I was not there when our friend Socrates wrote his books :P

lsn if you are planning to write a philosophical book, keep journals. I think a philosophical book needs time, years may be; it is all about observations and experience. so just keep writing. I use to write philosophical journal. I have a note book next to my bed i always write on that notebook but sometimes i may not at home so if i get an idea i write on a file on my phone mobile. this is my way to do! note that you don't have to write every day sometimes once a week sometimes 2 times a week sometime all the week , it depends. finally, be real. and write about what you really feel.