Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Nuclear Radiation Reaches Europe

Banned

Nuclear Radiation Reaches Europe

Published today in 'La Republica' (Italy) data on the arrival in Europe of high intensity radiation arriving from power stations in Japan.

Today it has arrived over Iceland, later today should pass over UK, then France and in 2 days (estimated) over Italy and south/east. UK media silent, as usual. Italians buying volumes of bottled water and dried foods.

http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2011...2/?ref=HREC1-1
    Last edited by Musicology; 03-22-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That's a bummer, man.

With all of the stuff I've heard on NPR since the disaster happened I feel quite comfortable stating that whatever radiation from Japan has reached different parts of the world, that radiation is harmless. It probably amounts to a fraction of a dental x-ray. I have no fears about the radiation... except for the 20 mile radius around the reactors, of course.

Livin' in Slow Motion Hurricane's Avatar
    http://xkcd.com/radiation/

I'm not too worried.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, if I lived in Europe I really wouldn't be too concerned about it. Once there was a forest fire in BC that turned the sun pink in the UK and it didn't affect people with respiratory disease, I think that's just how air dispersion works.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 03-22-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    'A Chernobyl on steroids'

In the 10 days it burned, Chernobyl put out 1.76 × 1018 becquerels of iodine-131, which amounts to only 50 per cent more per day than has been calculated for Fukushima Daiichi. It is not yet clear how long emissions from the Japanese plant will continue.

Similarly, says Wotawa, caesium-137 emissions are on the same order of magnitude as at Chernobyl. The Sacramento readings suggest it has emitted 5 × 1015 becquerels of caesium-137 per day; Chernobyl put out 8.5 × 1016 in total – around 70 per cent more per day.

"This is not surprising," says Wotawa. "When the fuel is damaged there is no reason for the volatile elements not to escape," and the measured caesium and iodine are in the right ratios for the fuel used by the Fukushima Daiichi reactors. Also, the Fukushima plant has around 1760 tonnes of fresh and used nuclear fuel on site, and an unknown amount has been damaged. The Chernobyl reactor had only 180 tonnes.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ef=online-news

But what everyone does not know, is that Mozart is the responsable for this.

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Everyone's been going on at me about drinking and smoking too much and working too many hours and not getting enough exercise. If this radiation thing is gonna kill us all, then I'm so glad I didn't listen to them.
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...