Thread: online or library?

online or library?

hey guys, love the forum. just have question. when you read any book, of course also those from charles dickens, do you borrow it from the library or read it online? i know many people are starting to read them online, but you can't replace a book

Unregistered User
    Even if I can get a text for free online, unless it's relatively short, I'll usually go out and get it in paper. I find fewer distractions reading with the computer off and it's less stressful on the eyes.
    Dare to know

Blog Entries
    I read somewhere that online reading is about 30% slower than paper, so I usually order books from the library.

Some books you can't find anywhere else but in a library.
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Look at the one star reviews for the Pickwick Papers - they are all about how the free Kindle versions are full of typos! With a book from a proper publisher, that's also gone through the filter a good librarian, there's more chance of getting hold of a version that's been edited properly.
    Last edited by mal4mac; 09-13-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    I like books. I like buying books. I can go back and check on things. I can leave a bookmark in them. I can skim boring bits.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    The original illllustations are part of Dickens' novels, at least up to "Tale of Two Cities" after which they aren't interesting. Does a kindle version include them?
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

I prefer to read paper books, I find it a delightful experience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Some books you can't find anywhere else but in a library.
    There are books that I would like to purchase in an ebook format but the ebook doesn't exist. So I just check them out from the library. I would rather not have a physical copy to take care of. The ebook allows me to annotate it and all that gets synced up with whatever device I'm using. So it is convenient.