Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Happy World Book Day Weekend!

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Yes, yes... It was yesterday but what better excuse than having a booky weekend.

Share all your book related memories and thoughts here.

Not so long ago it came back to me that the very first comic book I owned was something about adventures of Pink Panther... I was 4, I believe.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's also World Book Night on Saturday in UK so if you are Uk based and really, really lucky you might get a free book.

But I mean REALLY lucky as a significant number of the volunteer distributors (including me) still don't have their books.

Still, you never know, they may arrive tomorrow. One can hope.

Again, if you're UK based there are a number of TV Programmes on BBC 2 or BBC HD if you have it commemorating the event.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    I used to like reading Rupert the Bear in that mock Victorian world of faint peril and exciting adventures with the Elves of Spring and the Inventor with his hunchbacked servant. (I don't think he was called Igor)

It was the combination of the vivid pictures and the verses that did it. i got the annuals for years and read them over and over.

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    Again, if you're UK based there are a number of TV Programmes on BBC 2 or BBC HD if you have it commemorating the event.
    I watched the ones on BBC 2. The programme about best sellers confirmed why I don't want to read them, but the presenter was hilarious. Can't say any of the new authors knock me off my feet, but there are a handful that should make for tolerable reading.

How did it go, Fifth?
    ~
    ~

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    How did it go, Fifth?
    For me personally, rubbish. My books didn't arrive, so haven't been (and now won't be) handed out. That being said, lots of people did receive their books and it sounds like they've had a fantastic time handing them out.

Was anyone lucky enough to receive a book?
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    There were two events in the evening on saturday that I wanted to go to but was unable. A popular cafe, Esquires, was having a book giving session, and the local Waterstones.

I find the staff in Waterstones are very enthusiastic about books, and willing to talk about them. (I don't go in there boring them though!). They had set up a table with a selection of the staff's favouite books and were inviting people to write their favourite book titles and why on a slip of paper. I wish I could have gone. It's nice to chat about books.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    I used to like reading Rupert the Bear in that mock Victorian world of faint peril and exciting adventures with the Elves of Spring and the Inventor with his hunchbacked servant. (I don't think he was called Igor)

It was the combination of the vivid pictures and the verses that did it. i got the annuals for years and read them over and over.
    Ah, Paul, I am forever haunted by a half-remembered Rupert story, one that had Tiger Lily in it, but I was made to give away my Rupert books - you know the sort of thing, 'You're too old for that now, there are little children who don't have any books, you could (ie must) give them the ones you've finished with.' But I haven't finished with them, I want to read them again. And again. I learned a valuable lesson however - never part with books unless you are really, really sure you will never want to read them again. Now, about that box waiting to go to the Charity shop.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kasie View Post
    Ah, Paul, I am forever haunted by a half-remembered Rupert story, one that had Tiger Lily in it, but I was made to give away my Rupert books - you know the sort of thing, 'You're too old for that now, there are little children who don't have any books, you could (ie must) give them the ones you've finished with.' But I haven't finished with them, I want to read them again. And again. I learned a valuable lesson however - never part with books unless you are really, really sure you will never want to read them again. Now, about that box waiting to go to the Charity shop.....
    My perennial problem is piles...piles of books all over. My wife and I read different things, and so we've got wildly divergent piles. Great though. Hides the dust.

I remember Tiger Lily - she had a big flower on her top. She was the Mandarin's daughter. He looked really exotic with the long moustache.

I really enjoyed a story where Rupert went to China, and got home in a rocket. I just can't describe the enjoyment of reading that story.

My own Rupert books were read and re-read and eventually destroyed in time by my four younger siblings. Then when my kids were young, I thought that they'd go for those stories - as an excuse. They didn't, unfortunately, but luckily, there were hundreds of other great books.

This seems like a good one too. Not because it's book weekend but memories of books.

I had this big book of short stories when I was a younger and there was a story about a kid always saying he wanted fried worms on toast.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I am reading books almost always on my ereader (have one Kindle and one Kobo now) because of convenience.

How about you guys?
    ~
    ~

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I am reading books almost always on my ereader (have one Kindle and one Kobo now) because of convenience.

How about you guys?
    Absolutely. Also for the cost, and (as I grow older) because the font can be enlarged to any size. I'd never go back.

I have a kindle which I use quite often but I love the bookstore and still purchase book books.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda