Thread: Timon Of Athens

Timon Of Athens

Hello I am a new member, and would like to post a small piece on the Shakespeare Play: Timon of Athens.
    I question whether the play is a tragedy, as it is often classified. Timon says that his miseries were "when he had prosperity". What could the play be about? A man brought down by false friends and naievete? It could be, however there are a lot of unanswered questions with this point of view. Why did Timon not return to his former life when it was offered to him twice?
    When he went to his reclusive cave, he found gold, a lot if it, enough to "make black white" ; and again near the end of the play he is offered high position and wealth by the senators to return to Athens. Timon lived in illusions and expectations about the world and other people, the illusion that he could give forever with no reckoning for example: and the expectation that others would give back to him. When he saw the truth of the situation he left the society of men altogether. Much like a Monk or Hermit on a religous way. Now from the point of view of the world this makes no sense, seek something higher in extreme poverty, and basic living. But this has been a theme in human history, so it is not so easy to pass it over. When Timon finds gold, he says " I am no idle votarist " , votarist in the Oxford dictionary is "one bound by a vow: A devotee" Timon is serious. It seems the opinion is that Timon is speaking madness, But Shakespeare warns about opinion in Pericles Prince of Tyre: "opinion is a fool that scans the outer looking for the inner." When the thieves who come to Timon's cave for gold leave, they are determined to live a better life. Could a madman do this? Once Timon realizes that his stewart Flaminius is honest, he softens to him and expresses real love. He returns to each their own. Does this sound like a madman? Some of Timons teachings are " Theres never a one of you but trusts a knave" There could be some deep meaning in what Timon is saying.
    Anyway there a few thoughts on the play. If anyone has any response, I would love to hear it.
    Bob Matheson

I guess I'm a little late in responding but it was only recently that I re-read Timon, which is to say that what I retained in my first reading was negligible. So if you're still around, here's my two cents worth.

I think a fair assessment of Timon's character can be made by comparing him to the misanthrope Apemantus. If you recall, Apemantus congratulates Timon for finally coming around to his--Apemantus'--viewpoint of humankind (that they are a worthless lot) and therefore that they share a brotherhood of sorts. But Timon vehemently disagrees, arguing that Apemantus is a bitter, cynical fool because he has never known what it's like to be loved and adored. Timon argues that if Apemantus was loved and adored, then Apemantus too would be susceptible to seeking more pleasures and riches and wouldn't think twice about indulging himself. However, Timon, who has known what it's like to be loved and adored, shuns humankind because he's devastated to learn that the premise of the love and adoration was simply greed. In other words, the misanthropy is a highly moral affair with Timon whereas with Apemantus it's a mere coping mechanism.

Timon credits every one of his friends with the same spirit of joyful and open generosity that he displays in full measure. If his wealth had outlived him, Timon would have died none the wiser about the true character of humanity. He is one who though the best of of his fellow man, whether lord, servant or rasping philosopher. He's a truly generous spirit who judges others by his own standard. In the words of Martin Luther, Timon puts the best construction on all things. Only when his wealth is gone, and the creditors are near, do we see signs of Timon reflecting a little on his absurdly optimistic estimation.

In the second half, Timon learns in a mere day or two the bald truth about mankind (excepting, it later seems, the old servant Flavius). He gives gold to Flavius, the faithful exception that proves the rule. Gold has worth only in dealings with men, and Timon has despaired of humanity. He finally puts a fragment of trust in Alcibiades, two prostitutes and three bandits to wreak havoc in the State of Athens, all of whom disappoint, which perhaps is to be expected, humanity being what it is. A tragedy indeed.

At the end of the play, I see Alcibiades as one who sees what Timon sees but looks the other way.
    "Love does not alter the beloved, it alters itself"