Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Science Fiction recommendations?

Science Fiction recommendations?

Could someone recommend some good science fiction? I especially like stories where people, particularly children, have advanced psychic/intellectual abilities. For example, I loved Tomorrow's Children. I'd also be interested in anything about time travel or illnesses/plague. Not too interested in robots or military space stuff, though. Also, I think I'd like reading short stories instead of one long book, unless the book is really really good. Does anyone know of any books I might like? Thanks for the help.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    According to your criteria, you should definitely read Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. Not completely about children, but they do play a role. And, it's really good.

Blog Entries
    John Wyndham's The Midwich Cuckoos

Time travel - The Door Into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein, Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Smart kids - Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Have Space Suit-Will Travel and Citizen of the Galaxy by Heinlein

I'm a big Heinlein fan.

The mentioned Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is really, really good. Interestingly enough, it was originally written as a short story and was really popular before being expanded into its current novel form. I've had several of my friends read it on my suggestion, and all of them have liked it a lot. I can't recommend it enough.

These recommendations interest me. Has anyone tried "The Anubis gates" by Tim Powers. I have read mixed reviews. I also enjoyed Ender's Game. Interestingly , I couldn't get into the sequel.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'll second Slaughter-House Five if you're willing to read something out there (brilliantly out there).

I'll third Slaughterhouse 5. I read it last week and it is one of the best things I have read.

Time travel sci-fi must begin with H.G. Wells's The Time Machine. It's a sci-fi classic and also very philosophical.

Monkey King
    The SF Collection by Chancellor Press is an excellent anthology but a little hard to come by. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame anthologies are pretty good too (though not as good).

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Try The Ship that Sailed the Time Stream.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dante View Post
    I'll third Slaughterhouse 5. I read it last week and it is one of the best things I have read.
    It's about space and aliens and junk though, and he doesn't like space. I'd go with The Chrysalids based on your criteria. Psychic kids abound. Also, if you're into children, plagues and dystopian futures, you might want to give Children of Men a try.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

I love sci fi, I'd say my favourite sci fi novel would be perfect for you. Theodore Sturgeon - More Than Human. It's about the next step in the evolution of mankind, it follows a small group of children who develop extra powers and come together to make a 'home-gestalt'. It started out as a short stories and he just added two more to round it out into a book, but really he is a short story writer. Sturgeon was a great writer too, very literary.

Blog Entries
    Slaughterhouse 5 is a must read in the sci-fi genre, I like Ballard's short stories too when I want short and simple, not a novel...

but I think I'll have to check out a few of these books mentioned here too many sound very interesting.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

I have a recommendation, but it is a rather long book. For me, it was a page-turner, though, so I was never "burdened" by it. I only mention because it might take more time to read than some others mentioned. Personally, I was surprised how quickly I finished it.

The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson

Stephenson has done a lot of other books since this one, and its not the best-known. His books are always long, though, and this is the only one I have been brave enough to devote myself to (at 500 pages, it is one of the shorter ones, I think).

It is the story of a little girl who...

(MINOR SPOILERS MINOR SPOILERS, just a brief review like you might see on the back of a paperback)

who comes into possession of a little e-reader-type device that is actually an advanced educational tool that is aware of its environment. This girl lives in a future where nano-technology has infused everything, and a sort of breakdown of cultures or something has ended up leaving the planet divided into tribes (but not the sort of tribes you probably immediately imagine, the world is very high-tech).

(MINOR SPOILERS END MINOR SPOILERS END)

It has been described as "post-cyberpunk" but some particular chapters (not the whole thing) seemed like steam-punk to me. Finally, various details and structural elements are allusions to the work of Charles Dickens.
    Last edited by billl; 02-13-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast