Thread: Ulysses in comic form

Ulysses in comic form

http://ulyssesseen.com/
    I thought this would be of interest to Joyce fans. Ulysses seen is an webcomic adaptation of joyce's famous novel. This might interest you if couldn't figure out what was going on in the novel.

This is perfect! I am going to start Ulysses soon (as soon as I dispose of Pride und Prejudice).

Is it recommended that one reads Homer before tackling Ulysses? I think I am going to need all the help I can get.

I don't know. There are supposed to a lot of references in Ulysses besides Homer. IF you decide to read this webcomicm it has very good art and the writer is very dedicated to capturing the spirit of the novel.

Quote Originally Posted by TacoButt View Post
    Is it recommended that one reads Homer before tackling Ulysses? I think I am going to need all the help I can get.
    No. I heard an ancedote where Joyce exclaimed that the novel has nothing to do with The Odyssey besides the connotation of the title, which is hyperbole, but I think holds some merit, i.e. there's no point incessantly searching for correlations with The Odyssey. I think the reader of the novel should go in knowing only what they know and not be forced to learn anything in order to understand the novel. The misconception about the novel is that it is solely comprised of erudition. I think Joyce intended for the novel to juxtapose erudition with banality, for there's as much banality, if not more, in the novel than erudition, and banality is something to which everyone can relate and understand. So keep that in mind, and focus on the novel's delineation of ordinary life itself, you'll find the novel to be very funny and rewarding.

As for the comic, it's a great find! I've read a little bit of it. Yet when I saw it, it was unfinished. I'll have to look again!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    When I asked this before my second attempted read (as I quit after about 1/3 of the way through) I was told, yes, reading The Odyssey would help. It didn't. I found no correlations between the two, though I wasn't looking for them--I was mostly just trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

This is perfect! I am going to start Ulysses soon (as soon as I dispose of Pride und Prejudice).

It is not really even essential to know who Homer is. I wouldn't be too occupied with trying to 'prepare'. I guess some people would say that reading the book 'A Portrait' by the same author would be helpful, although be warned it is a bit dry.

This book is hardcore. It is the most important novel of the 20th century, yet it is basically unknown to everyone except literary professors and their college students.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I also read Portrait, and I guess this would be a bit more helpful for reading Ulysses, but not overly so. If anything, it gives you an introduction to Joyce, and is a relatively easy read.

If you want my advice, when you do read Ulysses, just enjoy the language and try not to worry too much about understanding the story. Once you finish, maybe read some summaries or criticism, or just read summaries on Sparknotes after every chapter. If I ever attempt to read it again, that's what I plan to do.