Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting to know you

Getting to know you

As I am new and keen to make friends, I thought the best way to get to know the "regulars" would be to ask this question: if you were a character in any novel, who would you be?

I would be Elizabeth Bennett, from Pride and Prejudice, on the grounds that she is witty, fiesty yet an undeniable romantic :-)

Count Dracula.

Quote Originally Posted by dfloyd View Post

Count Dracula.
    Van Helsing

@ bex : Difficult question. There are too many characters to choose from. I'd be Tom Sawyer because he is what every other boy is not. And if allowed one more chance I'd be Viola from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.
    Last edited by aliengirl; 02-04-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~ William Blake

Captivity is consciousness,
    So's liberty. ~ Emily Dickinson

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Henry Thoreau -- a cranky in-your-face, nature-boy with a passive, nerdy side.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

I'm Jude Fawley - denied access to university because of my social class, excluded from privilege, general all round sorry case.

No, Neely is not in a good mood, grumpy as hell, nice to meet you though...

Banned
    Justine from Justine - indubitably

Wow, wow, wow, wow... Definitely in a bad mood! Who would want to be Jude Fawley? Altough I am probably one, I wouldn't see myself as one. Not social class but my father was the culprit...

Still, I am no worse off. If I had a uni education, I would have done it and unless I was brilliant, I would have had to relinquish my knowledge in order to do a stupid job. Call me cynical, but I'd just skip the energetic and useless part and also leave the disappointment for what it is. I'll study on my own a bit.

Seriously, I wouldn't know who to be. I suppose I would not like to be Jane Eyre (no way! despite expectation ), too scary. I think I would either like to be Catherine Morland because I am oblivious to everything and only live for novels () and have a loving hubby/parents or I would like to be Georgiana Darcy, because I have a lot of money and a caring brother/sister-in-law who would not like me to get married to a dickhead. In case anyone wonders why not Lizzie Bennet... I could not face my own prejudice and wondering whether Darcy is ever going to look at me again after our first affront... And I could not face my own motehr .
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Oh I'm OK really. I have been rejected from a recent post-graduate application and interview (how dare they?) it's not that I would have accepted them anyway, can't really, but I at least didn't expect to be rejected so soon and so violently. I wanted to be given the opportunity to reject them first anyway. Damn them.

In a better mood I would like to be some Hemingway character like in Fiesta or something like that; drinking wine with good friends in the sun and fighting bulls, care free and all that.

Or maybe someone in a Wordsworth poem, the narrator of them not the idiot boy (but after being rejected?) you know walking around in the Lakes looking at sheep and butterflies and stuff, sounds nice.

Cthuhlu.
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

Seasider
    I would like to be Jim Hawkins fromTreasure Island. Get to meet loads of colourful rogues and hear their stories. Then go for a great adventure, get to know one of literature's great characters Long John Silver. Take part in an exciting battle and eventually come home safe and sound. I loved it and read it countless times.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Oh I'm OK really. I have been rejected from a recent post-graduate application and interview (how dare they?) it's not that I would have accepted them anyway, can't really, but I at least didn't expect to be rejected so soon and so violently. I wanted to be given the opportunity to reject them first anyway. Damn them.

In a better mood I would like to be some Hemingway character like in Fiesta or something like that; drinking wine with good friends in the sun and fighting bulls, care free and all that.

Or maybe someone in a Wordsworth poem, the narrator of them not the idiot boy (but after being rejected?) you know walking around in the Lakes looking at sheep and butterflies and stuff, sounds nice.
    Neely old chap, these flights of fancy are getting out of hand, I don't think a carefree attitude is advisable when fighting bulls, and are those sheep the same ones with thermos flasks that you mentioned recently?

Incidentally, have you read The Secret Life of Walter Mitty?
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Yes, yes I've read the Walter Mitty, I know what you are saying, not at all, not at all - I've got my feet firmly on the ground, and just as soon as I got my farm and can live on the fat o' the land I'll be fine. I'm hoping that sometime next month it will all happen. Sheep with thermos flasks are optional.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don Quixote
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Richard III
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Henry VII

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast