Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: symbols in literature

symbols in literature

First I will start by just letting you know I am new to the world of literature analysis.

I have been scouring google for anything to do with symbols and their possible meanings in literature and coming up a bit short.

I have one short story I am working on right now, 'The Lamp At Noon' by Sinclair Ross. I think I have some of the symbols in the story worked out. However looking at the title I am wondering about the importance of the 'Noon' hour. The only thing I could really think that it might mean was like a 'showdown at noon' type of analogy which would kind of fit for the story, but would also seem to contradict what I thought was the meaning for the 'Lamp'.

Anyway, what I am really looking for are any links regarding symbols used in literature. Most of my searches seem to come back to symbols in dreams, and I have found very little about symbols in literature.

cheers,
    nap
    Last edited by naphelge; 04-01-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: bad grammar :)
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".
    ---
    The late great George Carlin.

That is an interesting question. I am afraid I do not know the answer - I do not have much knowledge about symbolism in literature either. I think it depends on the book - though for example a Raven might be a symbol for death in almost any literature as it is seen as one in real life. The writer might take a spin at it though

I can not give you any links to internet pages about his, neither have I read the story. But can it be that "noon" is important here because it is the middle of the day? 12:00, not really P.M. yet, not really A.M. anymore. Maybe a moment in which you stand outside time? Or a moment in which a decision is to be made?
    It's also a time when you do not expect to need a lamp: it might take a while before it becomes light in the morning, but if it ever will be light it will be around noon, after noon the sun might go down again. So noon won't be the most useful time for a lamp.

I am just spilling thoughts here. I hope somebody else can give you a better clue.

Take care,
    Sapphire
    It is not too late, to be wild for roundabouts - to be wild for life
    Wolfsheim - It is not too late

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Noon is certainly a liminal place, and liminality is one of my favourite things!

Might I suggest you go and research some Jung? He categorizes certain images as Archetypes - things which exist in the collective unconciousness of humanity. For example, consider the very prominent figure of the wise, old man (with possibly mysterious powers) that crops up everywhere, all the way from Merlin, through Prospero, and up to our modern Albus Dumbeldore and Obi-wan Kenobi. Or the figure of the mystical tree that pops up in practically every mythology...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Loads in The Great Gatsby- hence why it is wasted on school children by putting it in their syllabus...

Tennessee Williams plays have loads of symbols, like glass, light, crutch...Orpheus Descending is very symbolic.

Symbolism is a type figurative language. It would be hard to google search the phrase "symbols in literature". What I suggest is reading works which obviously state in the title that they work with, or around a specific symbol. For example: To Kill a Mockingbird, Howards End, Wuthering Heights, Waiting for Godot etc. Also poetry - symbolism is huge in poetry. Try Keats' Ode to a Nightingale or Ode to a Grecian Urn. Then the best thing to do is think about why the author has chosen that symbol (which is obviously central to the novel and its themes as a whole) and how it works with the novel, or piece's themes and ideas. Yes, the tramps are waiting for "Godot" but he never shows up. This makes "Godot" a symbol. Why doesn't he show up? Why are they waiting? I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for but I hope it helps. If you wanna discuss any of the works listed above and their symbols, just let me know.
    Last edited by Adagio; 04-02-2009 at 05:06 AM.
    Only an idiot has no grief; only a fool would forget it. What else is there in this world sharp enough to stick to your guts? - Faulkner

contains multitudes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Might I suggest you go and research some Jung? He categorizes certain images as Archetypes - things which exist in the collective unconciousness of humanity.
    - A perfect place to start would be Man and His Symbols. There is a lot about dreams there but it's all relevant to the topic and genuinely very interesting!

EP

I am stoked actually about digging deeper for more meaning; even more that what might actually have been intended in some cases.

I was hoping there was a way to better display a long list posting within a thread, but I can't see any. Here is probably the best list of non-dream symbols I found while googling, but when i stop to compare, they seem to have a lot of similarities with some common dream symbols. However an even more complete list would be even better if anyone has any symbols that are obvious and missing from the list.

Some conventional symbols are as follows:
    I. COLOURS
    A. Red: immoral; the colour of the life principle, blood, passion, emotion, danger, or daring;
    often associated with fire
    B. Black: seen as a cold and negative aspect suggesting passivity, death, ignorance, or evil;
    black hens are used in witchcraft as are black cats
    C. White: innocence, life, light, purity, or enlightenment
    D. Green: inexperience, hope; new life, immaturity; a combination of blue and yellow, it
    mediates between heat and cold and high and low; it is a comforting, refreshing human
    colour; it is the colour of plant life
    E. Yellow: rotting, heat, decay, violence, decrepitude, old age, and the approach of death
    F. Blue: cool, calm, peaceful; an insubstantial colour in the real world except as translucency,
    the void of heavens
    G. Pink: innocence, femininity
    H. Purple: royalty, bruising or pain
    I. Brown: a colour somewhere between russet and black; it is the colour of earth and ploughed
    land and soil, it represents humility and poverty
    J. Orange: symbolizes the point of balance between the spirit and the libido; it may be the
    emblem of divine love or extreme lust
    K. Violet: composed of red and blue, it is the colour of temperance, clarity of mind

II. NATURE
    A. Seasons
    1. Spring: birth, new beginning
    2. Summer: maturity, knowledge
    3. Autumn: decline, nearing death, growing old
    4. Winter: death, sleep, hibernation, or stagnation
    5. Christmas season: birth, change for the better
    6. Easter season: rebirth, enlightenment
    7. Light: truth, safety, warmth, knowledge
    8. Darkness: evil, ignorance, danger
    B. Trees
    1. Apple: temptation, loss of innocence
    2. Chestnut: foresight
    3. Oak: strength, wisdom
    4. Pear: blossoming, fleeting nature of life
    5. Poplar: linked to the underworld, to pain, sacrifice, and grief, a funeral tree,
    symbolizes the regressive powers of nature
    6. Sycamore: a sign of vanity and to climb it is to thrust in vain things
    7. Pine: symbol of immortality because of its evergreen foliage
    C. Weeds: evil (hemlock, pigweed, etc), wildness/outcasts of society
    D. Flowers: beauty, youth, strength, gentleness
    1. Anemone: transience
    2. Chrysanthemums: solar symbol; represents perfection, an autumn flower,
    3. Rose: budding youth, romance, potential, fragility
    4. Sunflower: Sturdiness
    5. Violet: shyness, something petite
    6. Lily: evokes unlawful passion, temptation, the election of one’s choice
    E. Water: washes away guilt, origin of life, regeneration, vehicle of cleansing
    F. River: fluidity of life, stream of life and death
    G. Moon: changing and returning shape, feminine symbol
    H. Sun: source of light, heat and life; a masculine symbol
    I. Cavern: the maternal womb
    J. Mountain: places where heaven and earth meet; stability, safety, often symbolic of human
    pride
    K. Rubies: represents good fortune; it was believed that they banished sorrow and warded
    off evil spirits
    L. Sapphires: contemplation, purity
    M. Silver: relates to the moon, to water and the female principle; it may also symbolize the
    object of all desires and the harm they cause
    N. Gold: the perfect metal; a reflection of heavenly light; it suggest the sun-fertility, wealth,
    dominion; it is a male principle
    O. Pearl: associated with water, they may be regarded as symbols of knowledge and wealth

III. DIRECTIONS
    A. East: land of birth or rebirth; of the Sun and Venus; it is associated with renewal,
    youth, feasting, song and love
    B. North: is the side which lies on the sun’s right hand and lies on either side of life; it
    symbolizes night sky and night wind and is the home of the Moon and the Milky
    Way. North represents coldness, alienation, and hostility; it is the abode of death
    C. South: is the side which lies on the Sun’s left hand and is the hand of fire; represents
    warmth and comfort
    D. West: is the land of evening, old age, and the descending passage of the sun

IV. WEATHER, SEASON, TIME
    A. Snow: blanket which obscures, covers or even smothers
    B. Fog/Mist: prevents clear vision or thinking; represents isolation; mist is often the
    symbol of the indeterminate phase in development when shapes have yet to be
    defined; they are preludes to important revelations or prologues to manifestations
    C. Rain: sadness or despair or new life; a symbol of celestial influences the Earth
    receives
    D. Wind and Storms: violent human emotions
    E. Lightning: indicates the spark of life and the powers of fertilization; it can be either
    life-giving or death dealing, so it is a sign of power and strength
    F. Morning: the time of God’s blessings; the beginning of when all is still uncorrupted; a
    symbol of purity and promise
    G. Rainbows: also intermediaries and pathways between Heaven and Earth; mostly are
    generally heralds of good and are linked with cycles of rebirth, they may also serve as
    prologues to disturbance
    H. Thunder: the voice of God or gods

V. ANIMALS
    A. Dove: peace, purity, simplicity
    B. Fox: slyness, cleverness
    C. Raven: death, destruction; they often play prophetic roles or function as a conductor
    of the soul
    D. Lion: a solar symbol, power, pride
    E. Peacock: pride, vanity
    F. Serpent/Snake: temptation, evil
    G. Mouse: shyness, meekness
    H. Hawk: sharp, keen eyesight
    I. Owl: wisdom, rational knowledge; messenger of death
    J. Salmon: instinct; sacred wisdom
    K. Cats: are often viewed as serpents of the underworld; they also symbolize cunning,
    forethought, and ingenuity
    L. Lamb: serves as a manifestation of the power of Spring and renewal, sacrificial
    element, the children of God
    M. Cuckoo: jealousy and parasitism, it lays eggs in the nests of other birds; laziness

VI. WALLS: barriers between people, both physical and mental; a barrier that shuts out
    the world

VII. HUMAN BODY PARTS
    A. Blood: symbolizes all the integral qualities of fire and the heat and vitality inherent in the
    sun; it also corresponds to vital and bodily heat
    B. Bones: they represent both the framework of the human body, bust since they contain
    marrow, they symbolize strength and virtue
    C. Hands: strength or weakness
    D. Eyes: windows to the soul or barometer of emotions
    E. Mouth: indicator of character traits
    F. Neck: long slender neck is associated with sexuality
    G. Knee: main source of bodily strength according to ancient traditions
    H. Right and Left: to look to one’s right hand is to look to the protector; this is the place of
    the elect at the Last Judgement, the damned will go to the left

VIII. CLOTHING
    A. Cape: or any circular garment or vestment with a hole in the middle suggests a
    celestial and ascendant symbolism. When monks or nuns withdraw from the world,
    they cover themselves in a cape or cloak, which symbolizes a withdrawal into oneself
    or into God.
    B. Cloak: is a symbol of human trickery, and the different personalities humans can
    assume
    C. Mask: externalize demonic tendencies

IX. OBJECTS
    A. Chain: symbolizes the bond which connect Heaven and earth or ties together two
    extremes or beings
    B. Key: a key has the power and authority of letting in and shutting out; to hold a key
    means to have been initiated. It not only shows the power to enter a place, town, or
    house, but to accede to a spiritual state or abode or to a level of initiation
    C. Ladder: ladders are symbols of ascension and realization of potential; they are also
    symbols of intercommunication and the comings and goings between Heaven and
    Earth
    D. Mirror: often a solar symbol; an unbroken mirror can be a sign of a happy marriage: a
    broken mirror would indicate a separation or destruction of the union
    E. Tower of Babel: confusion, human pride, resulted in multiple languages

X. JOURNEY: may be a quest for truth, peace or immortality; a journey often serves as
    a metaphor for life

XI. SETTING
    A. The forest: usually a place of evil or mystery
    B. An isolated setting: alienation, loneliness
    C. A garden: paradise of a haven
    D. Window of a room: freedom or lack thereof
    E. A park: a place for retreat and renewal
    F. The town: place where rules are on their best behaviour
    G. Bed: consummation of marriage
    H. Parlour: vanity

References
    Chevalier, J. & Gheerbrant, A. (1996). The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols. New York:
    Penguin.
    Hancock, E. (1972). Techniques for Understanding Literature. Belmont, CA.
    cheers,
    nap
    Last edited by naphelge; 04-02-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: is a reason really required? my spelling is bad!
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".
    ---

I'll copy the things above, seem interesting.

Symbols or things with symbolic meaning sometimes also depend on the writer, what he has read and how it entered and fermented in his/her mind. So sometimes it can help to look things up in conection with the writer. In most cases papers have been written about things like that: Cold and Frost in Jane Eyre for example.

Allsuions can also be very important to look into symbolic things. Maybe the symbol originats from a piece of Shakespeare.

Or symbols can be particular to a certain culture, or certain philosophy.

Good luck with it!

k
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

you can look for this: A Dictionary of Symbols by Jean Chevalier and Alain Gheerbrant.
    the symbols are indexed in alphabetical order.
    Last edited by DisPater; 04-03-2009 at 05:16 AM.
    the main idea with the books is that there are too many not worthy to be read.

Quote Originally Posted by DisPater View Post
    you can look for this: A Dictionary of Symbols by Jean Chevalier and Alain Gheerbrant.
    the symbols are indexed in alphabetical order.
    I have seen quite a few books available that might fit the bill. Call me cheap (actually I am on a rather tight budget), I just thought there would be more of this kind of information available somewhere on line (with enough time spent looking) without having to breakdown, and actually buy a book on it.

cheers,
    nap
    ---

a frantic poet
    I think the lamp in this story is a symbol of hope or "false hope." At noon, the sun is usually its brightest at the top of the sky. The fact that they had to light their lamp in the middle of the day indicates that there was really no hope of "light" for them, that they had to create it themselves - and even in that case the lamp eventually burns out.

Light shows things how they really are. Lamplight is artificial.

Watch Streetcar Named Desire.

Arrow Journalism and Literature Informational Website

I've got a few articles on my website about various aspects of Literature including Symbolism in Literature and techniques and practices for active or aspiring authors and journalists - some of these concepts might be applied towards literary reviews and analysis.

My flatmate is going to shoot a film, and he asked me what i think about symbols like; doll, dove, strightjacket. Then it dawns on me that in XXI-st century it's usless and pathetic to introduce any symbols to arts, and attaching great importance to it wouldn't be successful. The problem is that modern art doesn't need it. Years of symbolism have just passed and new means of expression are desireable!

Banned
    I should just mention this.

When discussing literature symbols in literature, do not use the term symbolism. This leads to confusion as symbolism is not plural symbols or the study of them, but an entire and major literary movement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast