Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remorse of Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by everyadventure View Post
    (And Hillwalker, go grab a coffee or something!)
    Have done - and it had the desired effect. You may now address me as Chillwalker.

H

an organized mess
    Have done - and it had the desired effect. You may now address me as Chillwalker.
    Phew! Everybody, it's safe to post your poems now!

Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    in which case - go for it. And those who think your poetry is ***** (myself included I regret to say) will be forced to eat their words.

H
    Wow, basing your perception of ALL of my poetry from one poem I mostly wrote at a graduation party then finished later?

What a PRICK a thorn might bring...

Blog Entries
    Blimey. I would just like to say well done ace. There is no bad publicity

For those who believe,
    no explanation is necessary.
    For those who do not,
    none will suffice.

an organized mess
    Yeah, I never get two pages worth of comments

Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    What a PRICK a thorn might bring...
    That is unacceptable, or ought to be, even though any one of us can understand how painful it must be to have one of your poems spoken of so critically. However, Hillwalker did not intend to hurt you personally, or so I read his comments, and the first thing you need to do to become a better poet is to get the hell out of your own way. I guess we all write in the hope of being at least understood or better still appreciated, but unless we put our love of language and form on a par with our hope for attention, we will never advance.
    Last edited by PrinceMyshkin; 02-22-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMyshkin View Post
    That is unacceptable, or ought to be, even though any one of can understand how painful it must be to have one of your poems spoken of so critically. However, Hillwalker did not intend to hurt you personally, or so I read his comments, and the first thing you need to do to become a better poet is to get the hell out of your own way. I guess we all write in the hope of being at least understood or better still appreciated, but unless we put our love of language and form on a par with our hope for attention, we will never advance.
    Critically speaking of a poem is one thing, but saying "And those who think your poetry is ***** (myself included I regret to say)" is NOT acceptable.

That is NOT Constructive Criticism of this individual poem, that is a statement saying that ALL my poetry is "sh!t" (or whatever) to him, essentially saying, "Screw you, don't even consider posting here anymore because all you will post is utter crap."

How does that NOT warrant a response such as mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Critically speaking of a poem is one thing, but saying "And those who think your poetry is ***** (myself included I regret to say)" is NOT acceptable.How does that NOT warrant a response such as mine?
    I was merely quoting your sentence :
    Can't get published if people think your writing is **** (unless you're Stephanie Meyer, that is).

I am in no position to critique ALL of your poetry - how can I? But on the basis of this one you have a long way to go before anyone would consider publishing it. As Prince says - get over yourself.

H

Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    I was merely quoting your sentence :
    Can't get published if people think your writing is **** (unless you're Stephanie Meyer, that is).

I am in no position to critique ALL of your poetry - how can I? But on the basis of this one you have a long way to go before anyone would consider publishing it. As Prince says - get over yourself.

H
    If you can't tell this is a simple poem.

Maybe I am the only way who works this way, but I only post experiments and the simplest of written ideas. This is one poem I posted due to it's simplicity and I showed a more complex form of poetry with my "Currently Untitled" poem.

So hearing that the poem is crap is no problem, it seems like we just had another mis-communication (you quoting me without using quotes made me generalize what you meant).

So once again, apologies.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It has a good message, Ace, and it's good for a first effort.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    I liked some of the poem; some of it dragged; some of the rhymes were forced; I got the feeling from some of the lines that the poet was talking down to me. Overall I give this poem a C
    Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Before reading this reply please do two things:
    1. Read Prince Myshkin's reply #21 and the last sentence of Jerrybaldy's reply #19 about "publicity" and memorize it.
    2. Take what I am about to say with the proverbial grain of salt.

Part of this reply is the same as the one I posted about a month ago to another's work and I'm posting again not as a criticism, but as something perhaps, maybe, you could consider as a suggestion.

When writing verse, remember that what makes a poem a poem is not just what the poem is about, but how it takes shape. The form and content are married to each other, so to speak, and let's hope it's a happy marriage.

If you're going to use end rhyme, try to remember that the meter and the stresses of each rhymed line have to match up exactly. A familiarity with the guidelines for meter and rhyme would help you the next time you want to write something. Reading up on poetic techniques will provide a method for expressing yourself more effectively and artfully. You can obtain several modern books on the craft of verse-writing in any public library, and even by doing an on-line search.

While you're at it, you might want to refresh your memory on the use of punctuation, which doesn't appear in the poem, even though the first word in each one of your lines begins with a capital letter, as in a sentence. Punctuation, rather than a random marks, is, like words away of clarifying meaning.

Abandoning punctuation completely is the domain of free verse which, because your piece attempts to rhyme, is not. In that case, line breaks do the job of punctuation, though I do not discern any deliberate use of line breaks in this particular piece.

I can't argue strongly enough that beginning versifiers should familiarize themselves with exemplary poems from the past five centuries as well as our own. That's the only way you'll know that what you want to say has already been said several times before, and many times better.

I'm sorry, but there is no easy way or fast track to writing good poetry. It took me four decades to realize that.

Again, take this w. a grain of salt, and remember what Jerry said (but just his last line.)
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 02-22-2011 at 04:37 PM.

an organized mess
    Those are some great tips, Aunt Shecky, and should be placed somewhere permanent along with Jassy's poem he posted earlier today...

Thanks for sharing, as I can use the advice myself...

Quote Originally Posted by everyadventure View Post
    Those are some great tips, Aunt Shecky, and should be placed somewhere permanent along with Jassy's poem he posted earlier today...

Thanks for sharing, as I can use the advice myself...
    Yes, thank you Aunt Shecky, great advice.

Once again though, I will remark it was a simplistic piece and if I truly cared about it, I would have shown it to close friends and not posted it in a forum...

Notice how many posts I have in how many years I'm here. 78 (this the 79th) since June 26th, 2006. Only 25 were threads I made containing my writing. Really think I've only written like 30 things in four years? Helllllls nah.

I just thought it was a simplistic poem this forum might have some fun reading. Nobody has FUN reading anymore, they just read then focus on what they absolutely hate.

And apparently poems don't/can't have duel meanings anymore, regardless of their simplicity. Both poems that I have most recently posted have duel meanings, one much more subtle and hard-thought than the other though.

Thanks again, Aunt.
    Last edited by Ace; 02-22-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Once again though, I will remark it was a simplistic piece and if I truly cared about it, I would have shown it to close friends and not posted it in a forum...

Notice how many posts I have in how many years I'm here. 78 (this the 79th) since June 26th, 2006. Some of those were replies. Really think I've only written like 30 things in four years? Helllllls nah.

I just thought it was a simplistic poem this forum might have some fun reading. Nobody has FUN reading anymore, they just read then focus on what they absolutely hate

In all fairness to you I seldom see subtle double meanings.

I do have fun reading and to make that statement is presumptious, especially as I notice you are yet to critique anyone else's work. this suggests to me that YOU don't have much fun!

This situation has been pulled out of proportion by reactiveness to a poem you claim to not care about so I am loathe to critique something which might be important.

I would love to read your comments on our contributions here because as far as I see, you have your own angle on poetry which could benefit others.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast